Premed 101 Forums

food and nutrition

sfuguy

I'm starting my first year of med at ubc and am wondering what does everyone do for food? I want to eat healthy and bring my own but I am guessing there arent fridges to use, so what do people do? I also like to bring snacks as well as pre and post gym food etc...

any ideas would be awesome!!!

A couple of fridges for 288 students... good luck with that. I survived first year on peanut butter & jelly sandwiches. Now I just buy food like most people.

Buying food gets pricey. And those costs are debt that is a ***** to service during residency. Bring lunch. If there is no fridge, get an ice pack and cooler bag or pack stuff not requiring a freezer.

If you aren't borrowing money, buy all the lunches you want.

But if you are borrowing, minimize frivolous spending as much as possible.

• 3 months later...

You can make various soups, stews, casseroles and freeze them in individual portions.

Then you don't have to worry about a fridge. In an insulated bag, it stays frozen for a long time. Only trouble is that it can take a bit longer in the microwave when it's still pretty frozen.

You could cook, of course, but cooking can be time-intensive and buying lunch can be much more convenient than cooking. It depends how much you value your time and money and it's not always possible to cook every few days due to time constraints in medical school. Nonetheless, you can convey your opinion without being snarky.

You could cook, of course, but cooking can be time-intensive and buying lunch can be much more convenient than cooking. It depends how much you value your time and money and it's not always possible to cook every few days due to time constraints in medical school. Nonetheless, you can convey your opinion without being snarky.

It takes me 3 hours on a Sunday to prep 36 meals for the week.

There is always time for meal prep :)

• 3 weeks later...
two slices of bread, deli meat, lettuce, optional spread and cheese. zip-lock bag. 2 minutes.

voila, lunch.

+1

i do this every day

and watch tv while doing that +++ efficiency

but living alone, you really gotta do this everyday or your bread/meat/lettuce will go bad

cooking only becomes inefficient if that's the only task you're doing

add on tv/music and voila your time is well-spent

• 6 months later...
  • 3 weeks later...
  • 7 months later...
  • 2 weeks later...

Archived