Premed 101 Forums

GPA Cutoff - Looking for some advice

Looking for some advice - my GPA is below the 3.6 cutoff (about 3.4 in engineering) but I hold a grad degree (coursed based M.Sc.). I read that U of T has a lower cutoff for grad degree holders.

Anyways, I was planning on applying anyways but turns out they won't count my CEGEP biology so I would need to take an extra life science course. Now I am not sure it's worth the effort (an extra course for a school that will likely dump my ap straight away seems wasteful) - does anyone know how flexible they are with GPA when you have a master's?

Are you qualified for their GPA weighting? That might make your GPA higher and make you more confident about your application.

I believe I remember seeing some stat that the GPA average for graduate students entering is in the high 3.70s... whereas the class overall GPA average this year is 3.90. These represents GPA that are weighted for individuals who are qualified for weighted GPAs and unweighted for individuals who did not qualify for the weighting of GPAs.

I assume your CEGEP biology was taken during your 1st year which is equivalent to the Ontario high school biology... if you had taken a 2nd year CEGEP level biology I would fight for it being qualified. I assume you did MCAT biology too...

I don't think I qualify - it's a bit weird since I did eng co-op and my terms are all out of whack. So while I did do 4 years with 5 FCE (or more), but I also had work terms in the fall or winter, and some of my academic terms in the summer - so ultimately, I don't think I qualify (on the basis of Sept to April)..

My bio is definitely first year CEGEP - I think I will take the extra bio and see what happens...

Archived