Premed 101 Forums

Doing residency in montreal

I'm a student from Sherbrooke medical school, and I'd like to go back to montreal for my residency. Will it be difficult for me to do this?

Does UdeM heavily favor its own students?

I don't want to do family med, that's for sure. But say I wanted to match into internal medicine at McGill or UdeM, or any of the ROAD specialties, will it be extremely difficult for me?

If i do end up doing residency at sherbrooke, will I have a harder time finding a job back in montreal?

thanks!

I'm a student from Sherbrooke medical school, and I'd like to go back to montreal for my residency. Will it be difficult for me to do this?

I don't want to do family med, that's for sure. But say I wanted to match into internal medicine at McGill or UdeM, or any of the ROAD specialties, will it be extremely difficult for me?

If i do end up doing residency at sherbrooke, will I have a harder time finding a job back in montreal?

thanks!

Seeing that no body responded to you, I suggest you drop a PM to thebouque, he did his MD at Laval, and he's doing doing his rez (in pathology) in Montreal (I think UdeM), he may be able to help.

For residency, from last year's stats, about 46% of UdS's med students matched to somewhere else than their home school and about 4% of students left the province (more than UdM and Ulaval). So you are not obliged to stay in Sherbrooke and it is quite easy to do residency somewhere else.

When you apply for residency, you go through the system 'Carms' and there is no official preference for each home school's students. However, it won't be surprising if there is a bit of preference for each school's own students, since the 'face' time is more. You could compensate this by doing electives at UdM or McGill.

About half of the McGill students choose to do their residency somewhere else and around 36% of UdM students left their home school last year, so I don't think that finding a spot in Montreal is difficult. Also, if you have a generally excellent C.V, grades and interview, you should attain where you want to be.

Personally, I would grab the chance of UdS. I find that UdS' program is unique and innovative. Despite the fact that Sherbrooke is not a big city like Montreal. If you really want to become a doctor, then go to UdS. Besides, each university has its own way of calculting CRU, UdM and Ulaval focus on the strength of the program (ex: Biology is less strong than physiotherapy or pharmacy) and UdS focusses solely on standard deviation....

However, if you truly want to stay in Montreal for some reason, then probably it would also be reasonable to wait 2 years and apply afterwards to McGill and UdM. Then you will give a chance to someone who really wants your spot and who has a stronger aspiration:)

thanks!

• 3 weeks later...

Definitely doable. One of my friends went into rads in Montreal after finishing med school in Sherbrooke, and many left elsewhere to do other things (gyn montreal, peds montreal, rads quebec, neurosurg Ottawa...). You will not be disadvantaged when trying to apply. I have also done the switch, now being in the Montreal area, after many, many years in Sherbrooke (completed MD and Internal there), so it is definitely doable.

My past roomate from Saguenay's campus got accepted in Anesthesiology at UdeM, and many others from her class got accepted to some pretty sick residencies too. So no, in my experience there is no disadvantage of being from UdeS, even from the overtly family med oriented Saguenay's campus, when applying to residency in a speciality outside of Sherbrooke's network.

thanks!

Adding to what others said, it is absolutely doable.

Yes, you might have a slight disadvantage in certain programs within MTL-McGill which are perhaps known to favour their own, but in general, they tend to look at the candidate's portfolio rather than his-her MD program.

• 6 years later...
On 9/7/2012 at 11:08 AM, LittleDaisy said:

For residency, from last year's stats, about 46% of UdS's med students matched to somewhere else than their home school and about 4% of students left the province (more than UdM and Ulaval)

About half of the McGill students choose to do their residency somewhere else and around 36% of UdM students left their home school last year, so I don't think that finding a spot in Montreal is difficult. Also, if you have a generally excellent C.V, grades and interview, you should attain where you want to be.

Can you link to where you’re getting these stats from?