Premed 101 Forums

How to interpret these requirements?

Hello, I am trying to find medical schools that would be friendly to my situation. I am in the final year of my second degree with 45 credits done (3 full-course-load semesters). Here are some schools that I have found in Ontario that I may qualify at:

University of Ottawa

http://www.intermed.med.uottawa.ca/S...nce_marks.html

A candidate who has completed more than the three required years of full time study (5 credits during September - April), only the three most recent years of undergraduate studies will be used to determine the WGPA. This may span the 2 degrees, there are no conditions on completing the second degree.

Queen's University

http://meds.queensu.ca/undergraduate...d_of_selection

The first cutoff is based on the cumulative converted grade point average (see the OMSAS Conversion Scale) of all years of undergraduate study, including summer and supplemental courses. For applicants who do not meet this cutoff, we will consider the most recent two full time years (minimum 4 full credits during September - April) of completed undergraduate study to determine if this GPA is at or above this determined cutoff. These two years may span both degrees, there are no conditions upon completing your second degree.

UWO

University of Western Ontario (currently under review, updated Jan 9, 2012)

http://www.schulich.uwo.ca/education...cine/index.php

Second degree only for GPA calc; all years; GPA calculated from 2 full-time years of study (Sep-Apr) - 5 full courses/only 1 pass-fail course per year. Second degree must be "honours degree or equivalent" and the requirement that 3.0/5.0 credits be at the senior level or above (2000 - 4999) courses.

I must say that since I am from Quebec, I do not completely understand the language used here. It seems I have only 1.5 years of full-time study done. In my last year of my last degree I had one semester of 12.5 and the other of 7.5 credits. I don't know if this qualifies. Otherwise, I may have semesters done earlier that had heavier courseloads. Anyway, how would this work, if it would at all?

edit: by the way I emailed UWO but still waiting for a response, was wondering if any of you could provide some advance help.

I started my second degree in the Winter semester 2011, then did a full year the next year (Fall 2011, Winter 2012).

Those are my 3 semesters of full-course load. I am not counting the semesters I am doing this fall and winter at full-course load.

For McGill I am okay, because McGill asks for 45 credits (which is 3 full semesters). But what about UWO and Queen's?

I started my second degree in the Winter semester 2011, then did a full year the next year (Fall 2011, Winter 2012).

Those are my 3 semesters of full-course load. I am not counting the semesters I am doing this fall and winter at full-course load.

For McGill I am okay, because McGill asks for 45 credits (which is 3 full semesters). But what about UWO and Queen's?

Single semesters only count for schools that look at your cGPA.

If you are applying for 2013 entry, UWO will give you conditional acceptance (assuming you make it through the cut-offs and interview process). Conditional in a sense that you will need to have a full course-load this coming year with at least a 3.7 GPA. (this process is for IP students and I am assuming it must be the same for OOP applicants as well).

Queens will look at your first year of second degree and the last year of your first degree (given that last year was at least 3 courses/semester). They will use this GPA calculation if it is higher than your cGPA as they state on their admission website.

Single semesters only count for schools that look at your cGPA.

If you are applying for 2013 entry, UWO will give you conditional acceptance (assuming you make it through the cut-offs and interview process). Conditional in a sense that you will need to have a full course-load this coming year with at least a 3.7 GPA. (this process is for IP students and I am assuming it must be the same for OOP applicants as well).

Queens will look at your first year of second degree and the last year of your first degree (given that last year was at least 3 courses/semester). They will use this GPA calculation if it is higher than your cGPA as they state on their admission website.

So for Queens, you are saying that my first semester of the winter degree won't count? Instead my GPA will be calculated from Fall 2011, winter 2012 and the last year of my first degree?

And so for UWO, despite not having done two full years of my second degree, they will still only count the GPA of that degree. They will however check my GPA of the current year if they decide to keep my candidacy. Will the fact that I must be considered conditionally hurt my chances though? (I hope to find this out in their response to my email tomorrow.)

edit: btw Legion, many thanks for your direct help. I am grateful.

edit 2: If I have interpreted what you said properly, I have no chance at Queen's and UWO is worth an application.

So for Queens, you are saying that my first semester of the winter degree won't count? Instead my GPA will be calculated from Fall 2011, winter 2012 and the last year of my first degree?[/Quote]

They won't consider single semesters unless they are calculating your cGPA. For your last 2 year GPA they will have to go back to your first degree. But then again if your cGPA makes the cut-off (which I don't think it would since you are doing a second degree for that reason) there would be no need for them to calculate your last 2 year GPA.

And so for UWO, despite not having done two full years of my second degree, they will still only count the GPA of that degree. They will however check my GPA of the current year if they decide to keep my candidacy. Will the fact that I must be considered conditionally hurt my chances though? (I hope to find this out in their response to my email tomorrow.)

Well UWO looks at BEST 2 full course-load years. I'm assuming you did poorly in most of your first degree even with a full course-load so chances are only your first year of your second degree will make the initial cut-off. Conditional acceptance won't hurt your chances unless you do poorly this coming year and don't make their GPA cut-off.

EDIT: Anything you want to know about UWO, you should PM rmorelan AKA UWO Medical Admission Officer :D

"Students who already have one undergraduate degree and are working towards, or have recently completed, a second degree are not eligible to apply before the final year of their program, which must be an Honors Degree or equivalent program. Three out of 5 full or equivalent courses taken in each of the upper years of the second degree program must be senior-level courses. GPA consideration is based on the two best years of the second degree program only. Applicants who receive a conditional offer of admission must complete all second degree program requirements prior to registration in the M.D. program. "

Ok so based on this, you must have completed your second degree requirements prior to registration for Sep 2013.

Also they won't look at your first degree GPA.

EDIT: Anything you want to know about UWO, you should PM rmorelan AKA UWO Medical Admission Officer :D

Ha - I am not an admissions officer, i.e. I am not on the admissions committee - if I was I couldn't give advise only information. Actually that is exactly why I didn't run for admission rep at the school. I just go to the school, try to learn as much as I can, being around for awhile and work on upgrading the admissions website for the school :) Always the admissions office has the final word on everything.

All that has been said here seem accurate to me! Western will only consider your most recent degree so your first degree simply doesn't exist now as far as Western is concerned. The school has some simple but very strict rules for what you have to do as well - you need at least 5.0 credits per year - you seem to be computing credits differently than Ontario takes them - a typical standard course is 0.5 credits by our rules with the usual 10 courses a year = 5.0 credits. Be very careful for Western to make sure you follow the course rules - 3.0 credits have to be the corresponding year level or higher (ie in second year you have to take 3.0 credits or more at the 2nd year or higher and so on).

Other things mentioned that are correct!:

1) you do have to finish the degree now you are taking prior to Western taking you now. Basically you can start applying in your final year of your current program

2) Conditional acceptance is certainly possible - officially there is no mention on how that works but it is strong suspected there must be some sort of penalty to having only one year above the cut off when applying. That doesn't stop people from getting admitted of course!

3) Queens which actually might be another option will take your last 2 full time years for your GPA or your total GPA what ever is higher. You won't need to actually complete your second degree for that.

4) Western will only take full years as I mentioned - so your first 1/2 year won't count.

Many thanks guys. I think this means UWO is worth a shot. However I hope the UWO office can confirm with me as well that they will do conditional acceptances.

I wonder if they are less likely to give conditional acceptances to OOPs given the small number of spots available. Anyway, thanks again! My GPA for my second degree is almost 4.0/4.0 so I hope that my MCAT is good.

What do UWO seem to prioritize in applicants?

Ha - I am not an admissions officer, i.e. I am not on the admissions committee - if I was I couldn't give advise only information. Actually that is exactly why I didn't run for admission rep at the school. I just go to the school, try to learn as much as I can, being around for awhile and work on upgrading the admissions website for the school :) Always the admissions office has the final word on everything.

lol. thanks for clearing that up :D

What do UWO seem to prioritize in applicants?

As long as you meet the GPA cut-off and the MCAT cut-off (specially the 11 VR cut-off which weeds out a lot of applicants) you will get an interview invite. It's the interview that you really have to shine at in order to land an acceptance.

lol. thanks for clearing that up :D

As long as you meet the GPA cut-off and the MCAT cut-off (specially the 11 VR cut-off which weeds out a lot of applicants) you will get an interview invite. It's the interview that you really have to shine at in order to land an acceptance.

I have grown to love that 11 VR cutoff.

Archived