Premed 101 Forums

Pre-req Requirements

Guest geekpunk

Guest geekpunk

I'm and OOP applicant applying this year but my Organic Chem pre-requisite class was only one semester. This is all that was required for entrance into my home-province medical school. Not a full 6 credits that's required by U of A. However, it was a comprehensive Organic Chemistry class which covered all topics and was more than enough to tackle the Organic Chemistry presented on the MCAT. Should I email someone from Admissions about this or should I not even bother applying? I'd hate to be rejected outright because of a lack of a measly 3 more credits in Organic Chem. In addition, I have completed upper level Biochemistry and Pharmacology courses so that might make up for it? Honest advice would be much appreciated.

Guest MDmmmsure

My guess would be that they will be strict on the required 6 credits in organic, regardless of the how comprehensive the course was.....you should contact admissions directly to be absolutely sure though......I believe they allow for applicants to be in the process of completing pre-req courses during the year of application (ie. this year), so if you really want UofA meds and can fit in another organic course (I don't know your situation), then that may be on option for you...

Joe

Guest scrubbed

Geekpunk,

Check out my post in the UBC forum. You may be able to apply for special consideration. I was deficient in a physics course when I applied, applied for special consideration, and was still granted an interview.

Guest coolguy3650

Considering the huge weight U of A places on pre-req GPA (2 and a half times more than cumulative) I seriously doubt they'd let you get away with only one term of organic.

Guest scrubbed

Personally, I know someone who was interviewed with only one course of organic, after applying for special conideration.

This person was a very stronng student in other areas as well, which may have indicated to the admissions committee that this person would have done well in another term of organic chemistry, had this person's course of study allowed it.

Guest coolguy3650

I guess special cases are possible, but I think you'd have to have a good reason not to take a pre-req (just because your home med school doesn't require it is not going to cut it in my opinion).

I was about to ask this question as well because I'm in a similar situation. I only have one term each of General Chemistry and Organic Chemistry. I find this to be an awkward requirement since I was able to write the MCAT fine without an extra 3 credits each in either. In fact, I hadn't even taken Organic yet when I wrote the MCAT.

Guest geekpunk

So it's official, I won't be applying to Alberta because I received an e-mail from admissions stating that the pre-req I took would not be sufficient. I would still be considered for admission if I could complete another 3 credits in Orgo by the end of this year, but unfortunately, I can't afford to do that this year with my courseload.

So, Alberta is out for me! There you have it folks, one less applicant to compete against, and more importantly, one less application to be completed by me!

Archived