Premed 101 Forums

Official "What are my chances for McMaster" Thread

Idiots a 125 is between an 8-9 percentile wise not 7. Don't make people feel bad about their scores by stating incorrect conversions

Don't call people idiots, this conversion is difficult. Anyways, a 7-9 and a 125 are all in the same realm of having a very slim chance at Mac.

First time applying!

cGPA: 3.7

MCAT: 11VR

M.Sc. completed

How well would I need to do on CASPER to receive an interview?

Well, given that the average accepted has consistently been ~11VR and 3.8 GPA you've got a very good shot at an interview.

I'm not sure what you hope to gain from an answer about how 'well' you need to do on CASPer though...there's absolutely no kind of metric someone can provide you for answer there

GPA: 3.9+

CARS: 131

CASPer: feel pretty lukewarm about it. got cutoff on the third question multiple times (I always had something written down, however).

I know all we can do is wait and see, but how much lee-way do you think I would have on casper everything considered? Thanks.

CASPer: feel pretty lukewarm about it. got cutoff on the third question multiple times (I always had something written down, however).

I know all we can do is wait and see, but how much lee-way do you think I would have on casper everything considered? Thanks.

lmao your CARS is through the roof and your GPA is way above average accepted, you have a lot of room to breathe. Getting cut off on the third question isn't a big deal, I had many questions like that on my casper. 

131 is 100th percentile so equivalent of 14/15.

I'd start preparing for the interview.. 

You probably didn't even need to write the CASPer lol

131 is 99th percentile. It's more like a 12(98th)-13(100th). I think people are grossly inflating the new CARS scores because the old VR scale was so bad.

I mean, the point still stands. The 131, 3.9 poster is probably in great shape.

https://students-residents.aamc.org/search/?q=percentilenewmcat.pdf

http://forums.studentdoctor.net/threads/efles-mcat-2015-to-old-mcat-percentile-comparison-conversion-tables.1143689/

a 131 is not the equivalent of a 14 or 15. 

a 132 is the equivalent of a 13-15, technically. 

on the old test a 13 was 100th percentile; on the new test a 131 is the 99th.

a 131 is between a 12 and a 13.

It's still a great score

edit: lol thank you champion I JUST read what you said after I posted this 

It's still a great score

Great minds think alike... Or something.

I just see so much confusion about the new scores. I'm worried that there will be a lot of disappointed people when invites go out. Lots of people thinking 128=11 or 130=13 will be disapointed.

131 is 99th percentile. It's more like a 12(98th)-13(100th). I think people are grossly inflating the new CARS scores because the old VR scale was so bad.

I mean, the point still stands. The 131, 3.9 poster is probably in great shape.

https://students-residents.aamc.org/search/?q=percentilenewmcat.pdf

http://forums.studentdoctor.net/threads/efles-mcat-2015-to-old-mcat-percentile-comparison-conversion-tables.1143689/

It's still a great score

Thanks I didn't know that.

Do you think 127 is equivalent to 10 on the old scale?

cGPA: 3.83

CARS: 130

CASPER: Felt pretty good about it, I think i'm generally pretty good at vocalizing my answers and thinking on the fly.

I'm just curious how much of a chance i have at an interview at Mac lol. 

Bump! I recognize my scores are pretty good, I'm just curious how the competition is at Mac for interviews and where I fall in that.

Bump! I recognize my scores are pretty good, I'm just curious how the competition is at Mac for interviews and where I fall in that.

Honestly people......

Look, I don't mean to be rude but look up the admission stats. Your GPA is spot on average. Your CARS is literally the highest it can be almost.

I don't know what you're asking for here besides an ego boost. I get that you are nervous, but so is everyone. And no one can tell you your 'chances' anymore than you can by looking at the numbers and realizing that you are well above the average 

Honestly people......

Look, I don't mean to be rude but look up the admission stats. Your GPA is spot on average. Your CARS is literally the highest it can be almost.

I don't know what you're asking for here besides an ego boost. I get that you are nervous, but so is everyone. And no one can tell you your 'chances' anymore than you can by looking at the numbers and realizing that you are well above the average 

You're right, I apologize. I guess the admission process and whole experience of this is so nervewracking that I truly can't believe that I may have a decent chance. I've seen the admission averages but I've also had several premeds tell me about how Mac and Queen's can be super unpredictable for people with super crazy GPAs and that you never really have a good shot at them so I guess I was just trying to get a feel for how confidently people were predicting Mac's metrics for giving interviews.

Thanks for the response, and for the record I felt great about my Cars score, less so about my GPA, but I see I still stand a good shot. I honestly was just less familiar with Mac's process for giving out interviews and admissions since I always hear about Western and U of T.