Premed 101 Forums

Official "What are my chances for McMaster" Thread

cGPA (including summer) : 3.72

CARS: 127

Entering 4th year

IP

Like the above poster I am worries about the CARS score... 83rd percentile but maybe not good enough? My First year drags me down a lot in my GPA and even if I do extremely well this year I can only get as high as 3.78 for next cycle (would it be worth applying then?) Just want your opinions :) Thanks in advance.

cGPA (including summer) : 3.72

CARS: 127

Entering 4th year

IP

Like the above poster I am worries about the CARS score... 83rd percentile but maybe not good enough? My First year drags me down a lot in my GPA and even if I do extremely well this year I can only get as high as 3.78 for next cycle (would it be worth applying then?) Just want your opinions :) Thanks in advance.

I applied last yr with a 3.73 gpa and 127 cars and was rejected pre-interview. No idea how I did on CASPer (likely not good enough) so take this as you will

cGPA 3.99

CARs 127

Entering 4th year

IP

I'm very sad about my CARs score. There's not much I can about it now... but was wondering what my chances would be and if any one has any tips on CASPer and where to look for good prep materials.

Thanks in advance :)

I'm in virtually the same situation. Is our 127 really that bad? :( I checked and only 7 out of ~200 of last year's accepted students had a 127! 127 is still 83rd percentile according to my score, so I'm pretty sure that's around a 10?

• 2 weeks later...

Hey all!  I received some very disappointing news today about my CARS score, and I'm wondering if it's still worthwhile to give Mac a try.  Here are my stats:

GPA: 3.98

CARS: 124 :(

Is it at all worthwhile to apply with such a low CARS?

If you have the money I would toss one in. Just wouldn't expect to receive an invite with the CARS score. Your GPA is stellar though but not sure it will save the application.

If you rock CASPer however, there would be a decent shot.

A good friend of mine with a 3.98 GPA and 125 CARS got an invite - so it definitely isn't impossible with your GPA.

If you have the money I would toss one in. Just wouldn't expect to receive an invite with the CARS score. Your GPA is stellar though but not sure it will save the application.

If you rock CASPer however, there would be a decent shot.

A good friend of mine with a 3.98 GPA and 125 CARS got an invite - so it definitely isn't impossible with your GPA.

Thank you!  I suppose it's worth a shot :)

cGPA: 3.66

MCAT CARS: 128

CASPer: Scheduled

--------

I'll need to nail the CASPer for sure, GPA is on the lower end (though not the lowest I've seen get in). 

I have an M.Sc (+1%), solid research background, lots of volunteer activities (hospital, higher level orientation week planning x3, open houses, misc), and was a valedictorian. Might not count for much but I'm hoping for any padding I can get. Working a "grown up job" right now which might help with the real life experience, but eh we'll see. 

• 4 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...

I'm currently working full time in the food safety field. I have an M.Sc so I'm hoping on top of the 1% bonus it might help with the critical thinking part of the Casper.

GPA: 3.66

CARS:128

CASPer: Hard to judge but I didn't feel like I struggled too much, I feel pretty confident but who knows.

I know a 1% bonus isn't a huge amount but I'm hoping it will help balance out my weaker GPA.