Premed 101 Forums

Official "What are my chances for McMaster" Thread

- 3.92 GPA

- 129 CARS

- Didn't feel that great about Casper tbh

Is casper going to make or break me here ya think?

your GPA and CARS combo may compensate a little for CASPer, but many people feel like CASPer didn't go well, and then end up with an interview, so hopefully it went better than you thought. For comparison, last cycle I had 129 and 3.73 and got an interview, so your gpa should help you quite a bit. 

your GPA and CARS combo may compensate a little for CASPer, but many people feel like CASPer didn't go well, and then end up with an interview, so hopefully it went better than you thought. For comparison, last cycle I had 129 and 3.73 and got an interview, so your gpa should help you quite a bit. 

Thank you m_jacob. I also emailed them about a date error in my application (entered a 2012 instead of 2013 by accident). I know they dont take ABS too seriously but hopefully they dont disregard my app. or use that against me, oh well honesty is better than anything is my general policy haha.

• 2 weeks later...

From what I have seen over the year, "chancing" is just unnecessary stress and never is close to 100% correct. People can bomb CASPer, others won't. For something that's 30ish% of the application and a black box to applicants, it really is hard to determine your chances. Just wait until Jan and you will know your answer, that or look at past years statistics. Otherwise, you may be given a false sense of hope or a false sense of defeat. That is just my opinion :rolleyes:

From what I have seen over the year, "chancing" is just unnecessary stress and never is close to 100% correct. People can bomb CASPer, others won't. For something that's 30ish% of the application and a black box to applicants, it really is hard to determine your chances. Just wait until Jan and you will know your answer, that or look at past years statistics. Otherwise, you may be given a false sense of hope or a false sense of defeat. That is just my opinion :rolleyes:.

That's a great point, thank you.

Ignorant old me just found that Mac has OOP disadvantages and only has 10% of interview spots for OOPs  0___0

- OOP

- 3.92 GPA

- 129 CARS

- No clue about my Casper?

- Do ECs matter much here, I don't believe Mac cares but I figure if you are narrowing it down to only 10 people it must be somewhat considered. My ECs are probably average at best.

Chance me?

I applied McMaster last year OOP 3.97 GPA 129 CARS and did not get an interview. 

It literally "comes down to CASPer" no matter what the stats or IP/OOP status is. The whole "chance me" thing for McMaster is honestly not useful at all. For anyone legitimately using this to decide whether or not to apply, just have a look at the official stats for the last few years and if you are remotely close to the mean, apply. There's nothing more that can be predicted beyond "you have a chance, it just depends on your CASPer!"

It's also funny for me personally because I looked back through this thread and apparently I also asked the same question as a premed a couple of years ago. Can confirm it didn't do anything.

• 2 weeks later...

It literally "comes down to CASPer" no matter what the stats or IP/OOP status is. The whole "chance me" thing for McMaster is honestly not useful at all. For anyone legitimately using this to decide whether or not to apply, just have a look at the official stats for the last few years and if you are remotely close to the mean, apply. There's nothing more that can be predicted beyond "you have a chance, it just depends on your CASPer!"

It's also funny for me personally because I looked back through this thread and apparently I also asked the same question as a premed a couple of years ago. Can confirm it didn't do anything.

You gotta love the "neurotic premed" personality (that was me too... Not in medical school yet, tho lolol)

There has been about 20+ new threads in the month of september alone, and september hasn't even reached its end. I figured it would be ideal to have all of those threads in one thread so that it would be easier for them to browse through.

Here is the admission stats for the class of 2015.

The Verbal MCAT average for the class of 2015 is 10.55

The OMSAS cGPA (all courses are taken into account, even during summer) average for the class of 2015 is 3.75

CASPer scores are held private so we have no scale to offer you premeds.

This year, interview invites will be based on 32% OMSAS cGPA, 32% Verbal, 32% CASPer, 1% Masters, 4% PhD.

After the interviews, the scale changes to determine admission as follows: 15% cGPA, 15% Verbal, 70% MMI.

NOTE THIS: The class of 2015 had a different scale. It wasn't 32/32/32/1/4. Instead, it was 25/25/46/1/4. cGPA/VR/CASPer/Master/PhD. So what does this mean for you? It clearly indicates that VR and cGPA will have more of an effect on your interview invite. So expect the VR and cGPA average to go up for the class of 2016

Isn't the cGPA 3.84? 

• 1 year later...