Premed 101 Forums

Official "What are my chances for McMaster" Thread

• 1 month later...

Cgpa: 3.58

IP

I get mcat marks back sept 10th and have a rewrite scheduled 4 days after that. I plan to rewrite if I got a 129 or below. Is this wise? Or would it be at all possible to get interview with 3.58 and a 129? 

Any thoughts are appreciated!

This is assuming I do quite well on casper.

• 2 weeks later...
On 9/15/2019 at 5:31 PM, Eteca17306 said:

Gpa: 3.62

Cars: 127

I know my scores are terrible but I also know someone who got in last year and was wondering if they’re just a fluke.

Got in with similar stats? Either way, it most definitely was not a fluke. They must have done really well on both the CASPer and MMI

• 4 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...
  • 8 months later...

In all honestly, probably not so great. If you destroy casper or have a grad degree of some kind you'll have a decent shot, but in any case it'll definitely be an uphill battle given that your stats are ok, but below average in general for Mac interviewees. Unless your other sections are crazy solid (and assuming you have a track record of scoring better on FLs) you could consider rewriting. But if your wGPA at other schools is more competitive it might not be worth considering that you could be above the cutoffs at those schools provided your other sections are strong atm. 

Don't throw in the towel though; if it's what you really want with enough persistence you can make it happen :) 

Hey guys, was wondering if I could get your honest thoughts on my chances at Mac?

cGPA: 3.94

CARS: 127 

Casper: Don't know but I plan on studying like crazy for it :P 

CARS is a bit low, but I figured that I may have a shot this year since they are apparently giving out more interview invites. 

I thought Mac was only increasing their numbers by the number of people who didn't get pulled from the lottery and are guaranteed an interview next cycle? or is this a new thing?

Either way, you've a shot at Mac with a good Casper for sure. 3.94 is solid and 127 is only slightly below average, so with a good Casper you've def a shot!

Hey guys, 

I would like to apply this cycle but I'm pretty nervous to be honest. 

cGPA: 3.55

CARS: 127 (previous MCAT, I'm rewriting this summer)

Casper: Not sure how I did last year (didn't get an interview, so I may have to better prep for it this time)

Would appreciate your input. Thanks!

2 hours ago, oystergem said:

Hey guys, 

I would like to apply this cycle but I'm pretty nervous to be honest. 

cGPA: 3.55

CARS: 127 (previous MCAT, I'm rewriting this summer)

Casper: Not sure how I did last year (didn't get an interview, so I may have to better prep for it this time)

Would appreciate your input. Thanks!

You may have already seen this, but check out Mac's published admission stats for c/o 2022 -- 7 people got in with a GPA between 3.5 and 3.59. Mac looks at GPA/CARS/CASPer with equal weighting for interview invites, so it's safe to assume these 7 applicants had at least average CARS (129) and CASPer performance. From there it's all down to MMI performance which is weighted at 70%. Things might be different this cycle due to the guaranteed interviewees, but there's no point in dwelling on that.

I'm in the same position. All we can do is put in our best effort and see where it leads. We're fighting an uphill battle 

• 2 weeks later...
1 minute ago, Calculusisfun said:

Hey Guys I would love to go to Mac but am pretty unsure of my stats. 

OOP

GPA: 3.83

CARS: 130

I’ve never done CASPer before but I am wondering what my chances would be with just average performance? 

You have a pretty good shot but I think you would need a slightly above average CASPer to qualify for an interview for sure.