Premed 101 Forums

Official "What are my chances for McMaster" Thread

About the same as me, cGPA 3.4 (only due to horrible first year), VR 12, but I have an MSc....still, I don't expect much.

I think I'm in a similar boat to you - have a 3.59 cGPA and a VR of 10 with a PhD complete. I have no idea how the 4% bonus will factor in but I'm not expecting too much, just going to try to do my best on casper!

I'm sure this has been asked before, but what does "doing well" on CASPer really mean? Are they simply looking for how well you present/argue your points, or are there particular, unofficial things that they look for?

IP, 4th year student

cGPA: 3.53 (bombed a year with a 61 and 64 :( )

VR: 12

From what I've gathered, am I correct to assume I should still stand a decent chance for interview if I kill it on CASPer?

Also, just to clarify: since Mac doesn't require verifiers for the ABS, do they take it into consideration at all?

Thanks!

I'm sure this has been asked before, but what does "doing well" on CASPer really mean? Are they simply looking for how well you present/argue your points, or are there particular, unofficial things that they look for?

IP, 4th year student

cGPA: 3.53 (bombed a year with a 61 and 64 :( )

VR: 12

From what I've gathered, am I correct to assume I should still stand a decent chance for interview if I kill it on CASPer?

Also, just to clarify: since Mac doesn't require verifiers for the ABS, do they take it into consideration at all?

Thanks!

Hey,

You still have a fair fighting chance. Good in casper = you present your ideas clearly and have displayed some level of critical thinking. Time is constrained and you can't really get into too much details so they are gauging your decision making and critical thinking under constrained/stressful situations.

I wouldn't worry about verifiers at all if i were you.

I was wondering if anybody had a clue about the VR vs CGPA weighting

I know they are weighted 32% each, but relatively, how would it work?

ie.

If student A has a CGPA of 4.0 and a VR of like 7

Vs student B has a CGPA of 3.6 and a VR of 11

Student C has a CGPA of 3.9 and a VR of 8

Any idea?

Assume they all got same CASPer score

Cheers

I was wondering if anybody had a clue about the VR vs CGPA weighting

I know they are weighted 32% each, but relatively, how would it work?

ie.

If student A has a CGPA of 4.0 and a VR of like 7

Vs student B has a CGPA of 3.6 and a VR of 11

Student C has a CGPA of 3.9 and a VR of 8

Any idea?

Assume they all got same CASPer score

Cheers

Most recent admission statistics:

Mean GPA = 3.75

Mean VR = 10.55

But that's for admission, not interview invites. So for getting an interview you could shave a small slice off of both of those numbers. VR and GPA are only worth 30% combined in their post-interview acceptance formula though, so the means probably aren't crazy different. Maybe like 3.65-3.70 and ~10 VR are the interview invite means? (complete guess).

You could make a pretty good guess around those numbers, probably. I'm not really sure how they would draw up the distributions... I'm sure they get more 3.95+ GPA applicants than applicants with a 14 or 15 in VR. Just looking at their latest admissions stats, they accepted 56 people with a 3.90+ and only 38 people who scored a 12+ in VR. So hypothetically a 12 in VR should be considered as good or better than a 3.90 GPA.

So student B might actually have the most Mac points out of those 3 scenarios. Maybe.

But anyways, I'm sure what they do is just figure out the means and st. dev's of all qualified applicants, and then give you scores out of 32 based on distance from the mean for each category, and then add those up. Something like that.

Hey guys, just wanted to get some feedback on my status to get an idea of what to expect around interview time.

Currently doing 4th year undergrad

OMSAS GPA: 3.83

MCAT: VR 10

Also wondering if they consider your GPA as-is or if they consider trends in your grades? For example, my GPAs were: 1st yr 3.88, 2nd yr 3.75, 3rd yr 3.88. Second year was not the best representation of the entire picture. I know they don't officially drop your lowest grades, but do they apply some sort of discretion when considering your GPA?

Thanks

Hey guys, just wanted to get some feedback on my status to get an idea of what to expect around interview time.

Also wondering if they consider your GPA as-is or if they consider trends in your grades? For example, my GPAs were: 1st yr 3.88, 2nd yr 3.75, 3rd yr 3.88. Second year was not the best representation of the entire picture. I know they don't officially drop your lowest grades, but do they apply some sort of discretion when considering your GPA?

Thanks

I'd say you have pretty good shot. I also have similar GPA and VR score as you. Plus 3.83 is higher than the recent avg. GPA (3.75) of the entering class that was released. So I think you have a decent shot.

Thanks

They don't look at the trend. They only look at the raw average of all the courses you've taken. You my friend have a good fighting chance.

Hello all,

this is an awesome thread, I was hoping someone could tell me how my stats fare.

B.Sc Health Sciences

VR:10

cGPA:3.63 (urghhhhhhh)

Masters in Disability Studies completed

IP

Did casper today and it was kind of fun but I hope I answered the questions correctly.

Thank you!

You don't have a great shot, but you have a shot nonetheless. My GPA is worse, but verbal is better - so about the same I suppose!

As for CASPer, there are no 'correct' answers. They judge based on how well you reason and justify your decisions.

Hello all,

this is an awesome thread, I was hoping someone could tell me how my stats fare.

B.Sc Health Sciences

VR:10

cGPA:3.63 (urghhhhhhh)

Masters in Disability Studies completed

IP

Did casper today and it was kind of fun but I hope I answered the questions correctly.

Thank you!

I've seen someone here in the forums get in with a 3.4, mind you, that that was when GPA was only worth 25 instead of 33%. It all depends on your casper. Btw, that same individual got 12 in VR though.

OMSAS GPA = 3.50

VR = 10

IP

I think CASPer went well, but I am not sure how its marked.

Thoughts?

EDIT: Currently a Master's student.

Your Casper would have to be exceptional given that the other two categories are below average. Time to just wait and see, we've done all we can.

VR: 13

GPA: 3.3

Casper went alright I thought:)

Honestly, it's impossible to know. CASPer is one big amorphous question mark for everyone. Most people think they did ok. Your VR score is in the top 5% or so of matriculants, but your GPA is in the bottom 5% - so maybe it will balance out if your CASPer was solid.

They claim to care about diversity of educational background (although I don't know how this would fit into the formula exactly). Perhaps if your GPA was from a really unique program, this could work to your advantage. Meh, we're all the blind trying to lead the blind. I'm sorry I couldn't be more helpful.

Honestly, it's impossible to know. CASPer is one big amorphous question mark for everyone. Most people think they did ok. Your VR score is in the top 5% or so of matriculants, but your GPA is in the bottom 5% - so maybe it will balance out if your CASPer was solid.

They claim to care about diversity of educational background (although I don't know how this would fit into the formula exactly). Perhaps if your GPA was from a really unique program, this could work to your advantage. Meh, we're all the blind trying to lead the blind. I'm sorry I couldn't be more helpful.

Nailed it. I think at this point its impossible to know. Plan for the worst, hope for the best, and get on with life. Good luck in Feb!

• 1 month later...

So I'm an arts student who jumped ship towards health sciences too late. I'm in my first year of the Msc program in Health Policy and family medicine at UT. I'm considering Mac, Calgary and Western as well as foreign schools SGU, Dublin and caribbean. Not applying till next yr.

IP

MCAT 13 VR

GPA 3.4 (undergrad in public affairs & policy management) (3.98 using western scale because of p/t status for two years so those courses are excluded)

Currently completing Msc.

So I'm an arts student who jumped ship towards health sciences too late. I'm in my first year of the Msc program in Health Policy and family medicine at UT. I'm considering Mac, Calgary and Western as well as foreign schools SGU, Dublin and caribbean. Not applying till next yr.

IP

MCAT 13 VR

GPA 3.4 (undergrad in public affairs & policy management) (3.98 using western scale because of p/t status for two years so those courses are excluded)

Currently completing Msc.

Firstly, thanks for using the pre-existing thread :)

Although your GPA will hurt you, your VR is exceptional. If you do well on CASPer, you will have a decent shot at getting in. If you have your MSc degree next year you will get a small bonus in the Mac pre-interview formula.

If your MCAT score meets the UWO cutoffs then you will get an interview. You already have the VR cutoff. It also sounds like you have 2 years that are 3.70+. As an aside, that is an impressive upward trend!

We recently had a lecture from the head of the microbial infection laboratories at the hospital near my university, and he advised us against foreign schools. Currently more Canadians attend medical school outside Canada than in Canada, and there are simply no residencies for such a large volume of foreign-trained students (obviously doesn't matter if you don't intend to practice in Canada). He suggested holding out for a Canadian school.

We recently had a lecture from the head of the microbial infection laboratories at the hospital near my university, and he advised us against foreign schools. Currently more Canadians attend medical school outside Canada than in Canada, and there are simply no residencies for such a large volume of foreign-trained students (obviously doesn't matter if you don't intend to practice in Canada). He suggested holding out for a Canadian school.

+1

My sentiments exactly