Premed 101 Forums

Studying at NOSM with 3 children

Hi. Curious to know if there are learners at NOSM that have children and/or partners? If so, how has your experience been as far as maintaining study and family life balance? Any recommendations? Did you refer to your children in the application? Is there an association or support group at NOSM for spouses and children of NOSM learners? :)

I have three children, ages 8 & 5 yrs and 17 months. I finished my undergrad while I was pregnant with my first and completed my masters with a newborn and a 3 year old, so I'm well aware of what it takes to study with little ones pitter pattering around. I'm also extremely grateful that my husband wants to stay home with our girls full time if I'm accepted to NOSM, so we won't have to juggle child-care.

Knowing this about our situation, can any NOSM learners/parents provide insight into what our experience at NOSM may look like? Much appreciated!

nicric

there is a woman who had 3 babies in her 4 years of nosm...her husband was a stay at home dad. i am sure you will be ok given the fact that you have done this twice before with a partner helping you. the major piece- in my mind- that parents need to consider are the out of town placements 4 weeks x 3 in first 2 years and the entire 3rd year away. so, are you prepared to spend that much time away from your children who are in their respective schools? or could the entire family relocate for that year? this is where you want to talk with nosm parents.

good luck

In my first year class in Sudbury there are 4 female students that have 2-3 young children. So it is doable ... they have managed the first 4 weeks of medical school without dropping out :) Also one of my buddies is a single father and doing well ... I am sure there are more in my class who I just dont know their family situations who have care taking responsibilities. It is definitely doable. I do not know of a NOSM students with kids support group but then again I havent looked as I dont have kids. If not formal I definitely notice they are informally supporting each other as they seem to chat about family and kid stuff and what have you. There is also a day care on campus (Laurentian) likely the same at Lakehead so it is a non-issue. No one said it would be easy and for those with kids it becomes an extra logistical challenge but the sacrafice is worth it.

I have highlighted this article in the past for similar inquiries but it is worth highlighting again.

http://www.thesudburystar.com/2011/08/13/accent-a-triumph-of-time-management-tenacity

Beef

Archived