Premed 101 Forums

Western 60% 300+ rule Quick Question

AshPreMed

So if I take 6 courses where 3 of them are third year and 3 are second year, my 3rd year courses would be 50% of total courseload, not 60%, although I am having a tougher schedule than someone with 5 courses (3 300+ and 2 200+).

Does Western expect students with an extra course (6th) to be taking "60%" courseload too lol?

It's not actually 60%, it's 3/5. I know that makes no sense mathematically, but what I mean to say is that you only need to take 3 courses at your level. For the reason that you already mentioned, it would make no sense for them to penalize you for going above and beyond.

Correct me if I am wrong, but I was under the impression that Western only takes into consideration 5 courses you take and so you must have at least 3 of 300+ level which are part of those 5 counted courses. Any courses you take in addition to that shouldn't affect you negatively.

correct :)

It's not actually 60%, it's 3/5. I know that makes no sense mathematically, but what I mean to say is that you only need to take 3 courses at your level. For the reason that you already mentioned, it would make no sense for them to penalize you for going above and beyond.

they don't punish you - in fact they are they only school that will actually reward you for doing it as they will take your best 5.0.

So if I take 6 courses where 3 of them are third year and 3 are second year, my 3rd year courses would be 50% of total courseload, not 60%, although I am having a tougher schedule than someone with 5 courses (3 300+ and 2 200+).

Does Western expect students with an extra course (6th) to be taking "60%" courseload too lol?

Western requires an 11 in VR for your file to be considered. Any lower and your file is almost surely to be tossed away. Thought I would mention this since I saw your post on the other thread stating that your predicted Verbal score is 6.

Highschool? So people cannot receive the benefits of the areas they immigrate to after 1/5th of their lives, even though they pay taxes in that area?

I think in USA you become a resident if you live somewhere for 1 year. Anyone willing to do that for a particular school, in my opinion, should be treated like a resident (and become one).

Highschool? So people cannot receive the benefits of the areas they immigrate to after 1/5th of their lives, even though they pay taxes in that area?

I think in USA you become a resident if you live somewhere for 1 year. Anyone willing to do that for a particular school, in my opinion, should be treated like a resident (and become one).

Its less a question of residency rights (it covers many municipalities so taxes shouldn't matter) and more a question of where you're likely to practice when you graduate.

Its less a question of residency rights (it covers many municipalities so taxes shouldn't matter) and more a question of where you're likely to practice when you graduate.

Yup. Medical schools strive to meet the needs of their community, not the applicant pool. I'm glad the SWOMEN system works the way it does.

Always complaining about something:

UoT too hard!

My MCAT too hard!

University admissions policies unfair!

The world does not revolve around pleasing you/ getting you into medschool.

Just do the best with the cards you're dealt, it's the only constructive thing you can do.

Woah, Crayola. I never said the world revolves around me. I'm implying it's unfair to all immigrants to a new region.

My complaints are valid because they have solid reasons. The world is not fair, but I can complain about unfair systems because that is the only way they do become fair.

You definitely have a right to complain. The world is not fair, but complaining on PM101 won't change it.

You definitely have a right to complain. The world is not fair, but complaining on PM101 won't change it.

It is just a tricky situation - it is also unfair that people in the SWOMEN area are under represented with doctors compared to TO. In order to correct one unfairness they created another lessor unfairness (we are but few compared to the many who seek our ultimate services). Until that larger unbalance is corrected, if ever, regional biases will continue to exist.

It is just a tricky situation - it is also unfair that people in the SWOMEN area are under represented with doctors compared to TO. In order to correct one unfairness they created another lessor unfairness (we are but few compared to the many who seek our ultimate services). Until that larger unbalance is corrected, if ever, regional biases will continue to exist.

Oh, I wasn't referring specifically to the advantage given to SWOMEN applicants. I was just making a general statement.

Even though I'm not SWOMEN, I actually agree with the current system. If this will help to alleviate the problem, then I think that the system is working.

Woah, Crayola. I never said the world revolves around me. I'm implying it's unfair to all immigrants to a new region.

My complaints are valid because they have solid reasons. The world is not fair, but I can complain about unfair systems because that is the only way they do become fair.

don't hate the system. Hate your parents for bringing you to a large city like Toronto. Or hate yourself for attending UT and not an "easier" university.

Don't take this personal. I'm just making a general comment about people who live in large cities like Toronto and complain why others in smaller cities/areas get preference.

How does living one year in one location entitle someone to become a resident? The point of SWOMEN is to try their best to ensure physicians stay in the region to practice and the best way they do that is to try to get students who have lived for long period of time in the area. It's not designed for students to just pick up and move for a year so they can increase their chances of med school acceptance.

Archived