Premed 101 Forums

Suicide to pursue this dream?

Hello.

I’m an 18 year old freshman who is currently studying English and Psychology at Western University. For some reason, I know have the urge to pursue a career in medicine however, there are certain factors that is stopping me. As far as Science goes, I only took grade 11 Chemistry which I don’t remember a thing. I haven’t took:

1. Grade 11 Biology

2. Grade 12 Biology

3. Grade 12 Chemistry

I’m able to take 1st year physics, 2nd year Physiology and grade 12 math in University but overall, I’m behind. Far behind which I feel like its suicide for me to pursue a medical career. I’ve never been great in science or math because I passionately hated it and also, I never did put in any effort. Because I’m taking a few science courses that are designed for non-science students, I know see how Science can be interesting and I’m starting to see how Science is really important in terms of career opportunities. I honestly regret not working hard or just giving up so easily in these subjects…

My brother, who is a Biomed student that is also studying the MCAT, told me not to worry and just study the MCAT books because it teaches everything from the very basics. It’s easy for him to say that because he’s a science student and I’m an Arts student who doesn’t remember a thing about Science so I’m doubting my choice. I sadly feel like its impossible and it’s too late so should I give up on my dream? Is being a Doctor or a Psychiatrist suicide in my position? Am I being delusional for thinking that it may happen?

I know there are people who have non-science majors but passed the MCAT but I’m sure that they at least finished up High School sciences or took a few science courses in University. Should I consider finishing up my High School science courses so I can take at least 1st year Chemistry and Biology? My brother is telling me that it's a waste of time and money but I don't know if I trust him...

Hey,

So you are asking if at 18 years of age if it is too late to consider a career in medicine because you didn't focus in high school? First of all, things are vastly different in university compared to high school. I found I hated math in high school, yet I received an A+ and an A- in university level calculus. Things change.

When you say you feel far behind, do you mean in the class in terms of understanding the material. Or do you mean that you feel far behind because you didn't come out of high school having finished biology, chemistry, and physics at the grade 12 level?

If it is just that you feel behind because you didn't finish high school courses in sciences you can rest assured that the first year courses are only slightly more complicated than grade 12 classes. If you feel like you missed some concepts you can always take college upgrade classes to get a solid foundation. You are not far behind, don't be so dramatic! I didn't decide I wanted to go into medicine until after I had finished an entire arts degree! I went back and took all my first year science classes after being out of high school for 5 years and not touching the stuff.

In your position it is very doable. Take some time, think about your situation and what you need to do to have a solid foundation for the next four years. Make sure medicine is what you want to do and that you are ready for the focus it requires. Go volunteer at a hospital, if you are heading in the right direction it will fuel your drive in your courses. Get the goal in your sights and good luck!

ps. don't be so dramatic. Suicide lol.

Hello.

I’m an 18 year old freshman who is currently studying English and Psychology at Western University. For some reason, I know have the urge to pursue a career in medicine however, there are certain factors that is stopping me. As far as Science goes, I only took grade 11 Chemistry which I don’t remember a thing. I haven’t took:

1. Grade 11 Biology

2. Grade 12 Biology

3. Grade 12 Chemistry

I’m able to take 1st year physics, 2nd year Physiology and grade 12 math in University but overall, I’m behind. Far behind which I feel like its suicide for me to pursue a medical career. I’ve never been great in science or math because I passionately hated it and also, I never did put in any effort. Because I’m taking a few science courses that are designed for non-science students, I know see how Science can be interesting and I’m starting to see how Science is really important in terms of career opportunities. I honestly regret not working hard or just giving up so easily in these subjects…

My brother, who is a Biomed student that is also studying the MCAT, told me not to worry and just study the MCAT books because it teaches everything from the very basics. It’s easy for him to say that because he’s a science student and I’m an Arts student who doesn’t remember a thing about Science so I’m doubting my choice. I sadly feel like its impossible and it’s too late so should I give up on my dream? Is being a Doctor or a Psychiatrist suicide in my position? Am I being delusional for thinking that it may happen?

I know there are people who have non-science majors but passed the MCAT but I’m sure that they at least finished up High School sciences or took a few science courses in University. Should I consider finishing up my High School science courses so I can take at least 1st year Chemistry and Biology? My brother is telling me that it's a waste of time and money but I don't know if I trust him...

Troll detected:

- An English major using "I haven't took", "I know see", "factors that is stopping me" and a host of grammatical atrocities.

- over-the-top dramatic

- trusts random people on the Internet more than his brother

- use of 'suicide' as a means to attract attention

Not a troll! I took the bait...maybe the bad grammar is because the troll was drinking? :)

Troll detected:

- An English major using "I haven't took", "I know see", "factors that is stopping me" and a host of grammatical atrocities.

- over-the-top dramatic

- trusts random people on the Internet more than his brother

- use of 'suicide' as a means to attract attention

Lol. I apologize for being too traumatic and please excuse my grammar/punctuation/spelling, I didn't proof read this question whatsoever. I'm not trolling, I promise.

I am pretty sure you can take 1st year general chemistry and 1st year biology without taking highschool courses. In addition, many of Canadian schools do not care about the undergrad program of the candidates. If you are really worried about the 'science background', just take summer highschool adult courses. They are all online, very flexible and straight forward.

i took no biology, failed physics 12 once and got 50's in hs math, plus failed calculus in hs. i know exactly how u feel, sitting in chem 101 i was like wtf did i sign up for. the thing you have to know, is that science and arts compliment each other, my arts education allows me to do so much with scientific information i learn.

a+, a-, a+, a-, a-, a-, a-... these were my chem bio and physics intro marks... and i ended up taking 9 chem, 4 biochems, prob like 10 bio (and related (physiology, immunology etc.) courses, skipped out on doing more than 1 math class by doing advanced stats, and i got a's in both the applied stats classes they offer. point is, there's a good chance you'll take the courses much more seriously because u'll recognize right away that u need serious effort, whereas many people see familiarity and relax.

the other thing your bro didn't mention is vr... and well i guess writing is gone, but the social sciences sections... i find it impossible to ever score below 12 on vr on any practice aamc i ever did, idunno why... it's just intuitive after all those arts classes... and the writing was a t with no practice... the fact that these two sections are worth half the test, just like the science sections, can't be understated 10 15 10 t for a 35t is the same as 12 10 13 t for a 35 t, and since so many schools emphasize verbal, you may actually have an advantage... all i'm saying is give it a fighting shot, you can do it ;)

Hello.

1. Grade 11 Biology

2. Grade 12 Biology

3. Grade 12 Chemistry

i took no biology, failed physics 12 once and got 50's in hs math, plus failed calculus in hs. i know exactly how u feel, sitting in chem 101 i was like wtf did i sign up for. the thing you have to know, is that science and arts compliment each other, my arts education allows me to do so much with scientific information i learn.

a+, a-, a+, a-, a-, a-, a-... these were my chem bio and physics intro marks... and i ended up taking 9 chem, 4 biochems, prob like 10 bio (and related (physiology, immunology etc.) courses, skipped out on doing more than 1 math class by doing advanced stats, and i got a's in both the applied stats classes they offer. point is, there's a good chance you'll take the courses much more seriously because u'll recognize right away that u need serious effort, whereas many people see familiarity and relax.

the other thing your bro didn't mention is vr... and well i guess writing is gone, but the social sciences sections... i find it impossible to ever score below 12 on vr on any practice aamc i ever did, idunno why... it's just intuitive after all those arts classes... and the writing was a t with no practice... the fact that these two sections are worth half the test, just like the science sections, can't be understated 10 15 10 t for a 35t is the same as 12 10 13 t for a 35 t, and since so many schools emphasize verbal, you may actually have an advantage... all i'm saying is give it a fighting shot, you can do it ;)

Do you go to U of T (if so which campus)? How did you get into all the science courses without the 12U high school credits?

lol, bang on with that analysis... in my final semester i even did a course overload with 2 courses, of which one was a prereq for the other, both with the same prof, get a form signed saying u know u have no background and accept whatever grade u get and u can sign up for most things

You think when you pick a course online, that the registrar will bother to check that you took X course in high school? **** no

Archived