Premed 101 Forums

How many hours per week for volunteer

In2Infinity

HI there,

Just wondering what people's insight was on this topic. Basically, how many hours per week do you think the average accepted student does. I know the location/extent of the volunteering is most important but I was wondering on the numerical side. For example, do you think some accepted people do one hour per week? Is that too little, perhaps the average premed student did like 3 or 5? What would the average be?

thanks!

I say do what ever fits your schedule, volunteering is for experience right?

After a few times volunteering at the same place you'll find out that the only new thing you learn is the different experiences you get from every patient, but even that all blends together eventually but once in a while you'll get one that really sticks out. If your worried about getting lots of hours to put down on your resume, I'm sure after working for a while with whoever they'll be willing to write as many hours as you'd like as long as it makes sense. I don't think the amount of hours are worth anything, its just the experience.

2-4 hours /week tutoring under privileged high schoolers

1 hour /week mentoring middle school child

4 hours/month for st. john ambulance meetings

4 ish hours/month volunteering/patrolling events for st.john ambulance

total- on average 3-4 hours /week

Is everyone else averaging hours that you do not do every week. like if you do 2 hours every 2 weeks that you are put it under as 1hour/week?

Archived