Premed 101 Forums

Schools you can apply to with 1 year

username_

Clarify what you mean by one year. For UWO you need an honors degree or equiv. So you'll have to be atleast a 4th year student. But, UWO is the only school I've heard of where if you meet the cutoffs for 1 year, and ur currently completing a year that will still consider you.

Clarify what you mean by one year. For UWO you need an honors degree or equiv. So you'll have to be atleast a 4th year student. But, UWO is the only school I've heard of where if you meet the cutoffs for 1 year, and ur currently completing a year that will still consider you.

Agreed, this is self explanatory though. It wouldn't make sense to apply with only 2 years worth of credits if they require a degree.

Question:

Anything you may have taken at a university PART-TIME before starting your full time undergrad, isn't counted right? I just want to be sure they won't hit me with something like "ohh you didn't take a full course load THAT year so I'm sorry we'll have to throw out your application you bastard".

For example, if I took 1 course part-time for 1 credit in September 2009, and then in September 2010 I started full time undergrad with a major. What I took in 2009 won't be counted as a year where I "should have had a full course load" right?

Same situation. I called OMSAS they told me to put it. It's on my transcript too. She said not to worry cuz the schools will see my transcript. Hopefully they understand whats going on. My concern was that I put it under my current degree, cuz im at the same university, and I couldnt procede without putting a course of study if I kept it separate.

It makes since in terms of TRF request as well. As I only had to pay submit one.

I think Mac counts every course you've ever taken.

I don't care if they count it towards my GPA, just whether or not they decide that there was a year when I didn't take a full course load, even if it was before 4 straight years of a full course load.

My understanding for U of T is that they will NOT give you weighting. They are quite strict - if you have any part-time undergrad, no weighting.

My understanding for U of T is that they will NOT give you weighting. They are quite strict - if you have any part-time undergrad, no weighting.

I'm gonna email them about this. Sounds redic tbh. Took a class while I highschool as part of a scholarship. Entered it as Supplementary....The course contributed to my degree, but wasn't during full time enrolment for it.

I'm gonna email them about this. Sounds redic tbh. Took a class while I highschool as part of a scholarship. Entered it as Supplementary.

Yeah, I would email them. Maybe they give a pass if it is not degree work?

I went to the open house though, and people were asking question regarding this and she pretty well said 5 full courses each semester or no weighting (even if you are still full-time and take 4 courses, no weighting).

Which sucks, I don't get any weighting...:-(

What do you mean "if you have any part time undergrad, no weighting", how do they weigh exactly?

Not sure what you are asking.

If you take part-time schooling, U of T will not give you the weighting formula where you get to drop 1 full-course equivalent for each year of full-time studies.

I.e. If you 3 years of full-time, and nothing else, you can drop your lowest 3 FCEs. If you have 3 years FT, and 1 year part-time, you can't drop anything.

Not sure what you are asking.

If you take part-time schooling, U of T will not give you the weighting formula where you get to drop 1 full-course equivalent for each year of full-time studies.

I.e. If you 3 years of full-time, and nothing else, you can drop your lowest 3 FCEs. If you have 3 years FT, and 1 year part-time, you can't drop anything.

:eek: :eek: :eek: :eek:

Please tell me this is the only school that does this.

I thought UofT's weighting was that they only looked at your two best years. Is that in addition to this?

No, schmitty is correct.

U of T looks at every undergraduate course you have taken, UWO takes your best 2 full-time years.

Queen’s will also look at two years (most recent two years I believe) if the cumulative GPA is below the cutoff

The way I thought weighting is DQd is if you had less than a full-course load during a full-time year. ie. during this scholarship I wasn't enrolled as a fulltime student, but under concurrent studies. As a fulltime student in my degree now, each full-time year has been a full coarse load.

No, schmitty is correct.

Queen’s will also look at two years (most recent two years I believe) if the cumulative GPA is below the cutoff

Hah so if you got like 3.9, 3.9 for two years, you'd almost be better to bomb the next two years to drop your overall below the cutoff, rather than trying legitimately for another two years and getting 3.7, 3.7 and having your overall GPA lower than it would have been.

But then you'd eff yourself over for the schools that don't weigh your top 2 years.

:cool: :cool:

Hah so if you got like 3.9, 3.9 for two years, you'd almost be better to bomb the next two years to drop your overall below the cutoff, rather than trying legitimately for another two years and getting 3.7, 3.7 and having your overall GPA lower than it would have been.

But then you'd eff yourself over for the schools that don't weigh your top 2 years.

:cool: :cool:

No, this would be a terrible idea. Especially since I'm reasonably sure that Queen's looks at the 2 most recent years...

Archived