Premed 101 Forums

Best MED SCHOOL FOR IMG?

• Replies 57
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Hey, just curious. What would you guys recommend is the best medical school for an IMG to graduate from in order to have the highest chances of matching in Canada/US? Lets say top 3 schools? Worldwide med schools considered; Caribb, Europe, Australia, etc.

Thanks!

100% caribbean...i dont care what anyone says or the small % of people getting accepting from ireland

the Islands prepare you for usmle and have hospital rotations/affiliations with US schools

If you cannot get into DO you do caribbean and work your ass off

• 3 weeks later...
Do you own research and find a school that fits you, carib and europe are a risk, but heh, you have ONE life, will u spend it doing something that is not your dream, or will you take the chance? Saba, Ross are big with canadians. Trinity is the best in Ireland.

Robin Hood if you cant reply to questions, by any means, don't. You are plain rude, and a world with people like you would be soooooooooooooooooo boring, thk god people keep on dreaming AND making those dreams coming true sometimes. Je connais plus qu'un success story de gens qui seraient jamais devenu médecin, on va pas tous s'écraser parce que ca marche pas tout le temps!... Et most likely no rez? Tu connais clairement rien au sujet, du moins, avec le systeme des usa.

Tu vas faie quoi avec une dette de 300,000$ sans residence?

Saba is now having difficulties finding US hospitals for their clerks (there was a thread about this).

Chances are becoming lower for rez in the US since the number of USMD grands is increasing, while rez spots are not, according to what a lot of people have been repeating here.

Accepting the risk (and I think that risk is pretty much out there, i.e. pretty bad and probably going to get worse. don't want to minimize that risk at all), the OP's question is still a valid one. In the face of the risks what could someone do to minimize that risk and is a part of that strategy logically dependent on the school? If so what would be the best school or schools to attend?

(I am assuming you don't want any US schools in that list - although I would have to think those by nature of your question would be probably better)

I don't have a good answer to it - but am interested in what the answer is :)

Overall, it's highly difficult for anyone to match in Canada. The US is your best chance, and that window of opportunity is now closing too.

For matching in the US, the caribbean is probably the best option, but only if you go to a reputable school with 50 state accreditation and otherwise. These programs have affiliations with programs in the US where they'll basically have 1-2 years to get to know you and trust your skills. When it comes time to apply for residency they will be usually happy to take you as long as you were a good student, because they know you so well. If you were a bad student, then i guess it wont matter and it would actually hurt you.

If you go to Australia or other commonwealth schools, you're an unknown quantity to them, and US clinical experience is important to maximize your chances.

For matching in Canada, I think the balance tips towards Australia/Ireland etc. These schools are more respected (even though these schools aren't any better and sometimes may be worse). The only argument for Carib schools is that you might have more opportunities to do electives in Canada so they can get to know you and you can 'audition' yourself.

I know a few people from unknown schools in east europe who matched successfully in Canada this year. I highly doubt Irish grads will have "almost no chance".

There is a lot more negativity around the issue of IMGs on this board than in reality, to be honest.

And yes, if it was for rumours I would also have settled for building a cave for Dec 2012! hahah

Anecdotal evidence is not sufficiant.

Well stats also aren't that reliable either. Those get shuffled around for political purposes all the time.

Still I would take those over guess work any time :)

How big is a starting class at SABA or Ross? They post how many people (and where) people go but I don't have frame of reference to whether that is actually a good scoring or not :)

wasn't there a Caribbean school who recently lost their affiliation with NYU because the university didn't want to renew their initial agreement? This was concerning rotations in NYU affiliated hospitals

SGU

best bet for Canada = US MD > DO > Australia/carib.

Good thing about australia is you can stay there and they're pretty reputable degrees --> although there is a growing situation with internship spots --> but if you get married to an australian while you're there...you're considered domestic!

Carib - SABA/ROSS/SGU

I would, personally, go the DO route in the US over any international school (Caribbean, Australia or Europe - unless I had European or Australian citizenship). The chances of matching back to Canada are just too slim, and the opportunities to do residency/internship/whatever is needed in those countries is difficult for non-citizens. If I didn't have the GPA and MCAT scores needed to get into a DO school in the US, then I would truly re-evaluate whether medicine was the right career. There are plenty of fulfilling careers in the health care world that don't require medical school.

I would, personally, go the DO route in the US over any international school (Caribbean, Australia or Europe - unless I had European or Australian citizenship). The chances of matching back to Canada are just too slim, and the opportunities to do residency/internship/whatever is needed in those countries is difficult for non-citizens. If I didn't have the GPA and MCAT scores needed to get into a DO school in the US, then I would truly re-evaluate whether medicine was the right career. There are plenty of fulfilling careers in the health care world that don't require medical school.

+1

The future looks bleak for IMGs.

Also, there are Canadian schools who forgive past grades.

Although anecdotal evidence isn't really evidence I know, I personally know of 2 physicians locally that were both at SABA. One is a palliative director of a cancer clinic (yes director and he's only 35) and the other got into a residency position in London for neurology (his top choice). The former graduated in '99 and the latter just last year. I'm sure they had to be top of their class but they made it! If no one made it we wouldn't hear about physicians like these!

The reality is that a lot of people that would never make it in medicine apply to those types of schools (No offense to the people who do apply there really, I'm not trying to be rude or make an over-generalization). It would make sense that they would have difficulty coming back even if they happened to make it through the entire program. It's just a concentrated pool of those types of applicants. I don't think many would be able to come back, but a few would and have. I wouldn't rule it out as an option because it clearly works.

The way I look at it, even if your chances of matching are 95%... you're still looking at a 5% chance you'll be left with $300,000 debt or possibly more. And even if you do get a residency, it's not guaranteed that you'll get a job after that. There are already physicians trained in Canada who cannot find a job after residency (certain specialties). AND even if you do get a job, physicians don't make THAT much money, it would still take a significant time to pay off that debt. So it is risky.. I don't know if my nerves could handle thinking about that all through med school and residency..

Although anecdotal evidence isn't really evidence I know, I personally know of 2 physicians locally that were both at SABA. One is a palliative director of a cancer clinic (yes director and he's only 35) and the other got into a residency position in London for neurology (his top choice). The former graduated in '99 and the latter just last year. I'm sure they had to be top of their class but they made it! If no one made it we wouldn't hear about physicians like these!

The reality is that a lot of people that would never make it in medicine apply to those types of schools (No offense to the people who do apply there really, I'm not trying to be rude or make an over-generalization). It would make sense that they would have difficulty coming back even if they happened to make it through the entire program. It's just a concentrated pool of those types of applicants. I don't think many would be able to come back, but a few would and have. I wouldn't rule it out as an option because it clearly works.

I was just checking out the Physician Assistant blog and it appears that there are several IMGs attempting to apply to PA programs in Canada. Is that something that many of CSAs would consider upon returning to Canada?

I just spoke with an IMG today who has been working as a clinical educator for the last 5 years while waiting to get into a Canadian residency program in Psych. I am surprised with something as uncompetitive as Psych (Canadian's have 100% match success rate for this specialty) that it is still takes this long for an IMG to get in.

Perhaps CSA's should consider PA programs prior to going abroad? Do you think that having the international equivalent to an MD is that beneficial for applying to such programs?

For matching in Canada, I think the balance tips towards Australia/Ireland etc. These schools are more respected (even though these schools aren't any better and sometimes may be worse). The only argument for Carib schools is that you might have more opportunities to do electives in Canada so they can get to know you and you can 'audition' yourself.

Tell that to QS world ranking... this list of the top 200 world medical schools is just PACKED with Caribbean diploma mills. Oh waiittt.....

I was just checking out the Physician Assistant blog and it appears that there are several IMGs attempting to apply to PA programs in Canada. Is that something that many of CSAs would consider upon returning to Canada?

I just spoke with an IMG today who has been working as a clinical educator for the last 5 years while waiting to get into a Canadian residency program in Psych. I am surprised with something as uncompetitive as Psych (Canadian's have 100% match success rate for this specialty) that it is still takes this long for an IMG to get in.

Perhaps CSA's should consider PA programs prior to going abroad? Do you think that having the international equivalent to an MD is that beneficial for applying to such programs?

havent you answered your own question?

I graduate with an intl MD...i cannot find a job here...i settle in the nightmare of PA (now iam over qualified and under payed)

America is the only residency rich solution out there.....dont be blinded by the 2-3 residency spots canada has...

canada doesnt not have the capacity to open doors for new doctors as long as it stays in a social health care system....

if you go INTL with the intention of comming back to canada..

i would re-evaluate myself...

thats why people say

US MD (front door), US DO (back door)

as the best solution

* i say backdoor...bc no one is aware of the degree in canada...and its ability to provide you a legitimate ability to practice medicine in the USA

Tell that to QS world ranking... this list of the top 200 world medical schools is just PACKED with Caribbean diploma mills. Oh waiittt.....

Yes, why don't you use a ranking system that includes multiple non-existent medical schools in its list, and uses criteria such as number of research publications to decide who provides the best quality of education. Well done, way to think that one through. ;)

havent you answered your own question?

I graduate with an intl MD...i cannot find a job here...i settle in the nightmare of PA (now iam over qualified and under payed)

America is the only residency rich solution out there.....dont be blinded by the 2-3 residency spots canada has...

canada doesnt not have the capacity to open doors for new doctors as long as it stays in a social health care system....

Yes, that sounds frustrating - but a job is better than no job right? And being a PA is still much better than driving a taxi or washing out lab equipment, which is what some IMGs do in Canada (not an exaggeration, I have met some, and it is sad) but its the unfortunate truth. Still, I think that the quality of life as a PA or nurse in Canada is far superior to that of many physicians in other countries. You alway have the option to stay where you trained right?

I think that your story is an important one for Canadian students who think they are getting backdoor entries to becoming a medical doctor in Canada. It seems preposterous and a gross violation of human rights that Canadian citizen CSAs think they should be their own distinct category.

Do you not feel fairly paid as a PA? Where are you from and how does a PA salary compare to a physician salary in that country?

you are really not making sense...

you wanna gamble int MD to be a PA

...why not go to PA to be PA?

in the US PA are goodjobd..and have great time for family life and are compensated well...(i dont know about here....as canada can barely hold up its own shorts withouth falling over)

Archived