Premed 101 Forums

Question Regarding English

Hi

I'm first year studying under Biological Science and I have a question about english courses. English has been the weakest of my subject and I'm aware that it is a recommended course for all med schools. However, U of C says that they do not consider summer courses when calculating GPA.

With English, my GPA will be around 3.6-3.8. While without it, currently it is at a 4.0. I'm wondering if there are any disadvantages of not having taken English in a winter or fall semester when applying to Med rather in the summer (for example, if universities don't like it).

Thank you for your help and consideration

Hi

I'm first year studying under Biological Science and I have a question about english courses. English has been the weakest of my subject and I'm aware that it is a recommended course for all med schools. However, U of C says that they do not consider summer courses when calculating GPA.

With English, my GPA will be around 3.6-3.8. While without it, currently it is at a 4.0. I'm wondering if there are any disadvantages of not having taken English in a winter or fall semester when applying to Med rather in the summer (for example, if universities don't like it).

English is not necessary for Calgary. It's not necessary for many med schools in Canada. UofT, Queen's, Calgary, Western and McMaster are schools that do not require it (just the ones I can think of at the present moment). I made a thread about this with all the schools in Canada and their English requirements. Look for it.

English is not necessary for Calgary. It's not necessary for many med schools in Canada. UofT, Queen's, Calgary, Western and McMaster are schools that do not require it (just the ones I can think of at the present moment). I made a thread about this with all the schools in Canada and their English requirements. Look for it.

I'm not 100% sure but I believe that English is a recommended courses for University of Calgary as well as several other Universities such as U of A. Therefore, I would like to satisfy the recommended courses at the least.

Hi

i don't think it'll be a problem.

I'm not 100% sure but I believe that English is a recommended courses for University of Calgary as well as several other Universities such as U of A. Therefore, I would like to satisfy the recommended courses at the least.

recommended =/= required therefore it will not impact you negatively. U of A requires English though.

If you're that worried about a bad mark, take it in Spring or Summer.

I only speak for U of C when I say this, but recommended courses have no bearing on evaluation of your application. I applied with very few of the recommended courses.

If somebody has better insight on this please correct me, but I don't remember them saying anything about those recommended courses being a basis of any evaluation.

I only speak for U of C when I say this, but recommended courses have no bearing on evaluation of your application. I applied with very few of the recommended courses.

If somebody has better insight on this please correct me, but I don't remember them saying anything about those recommended courses being a basis of any evaluation.

You're correct. I've emailed a couple schools asking the same question about "recommended" courses. They've all told me that not having a recommended course does not disadvantage you in any way. Nor does having a recommended course give you any sort of advantage in any way.

Archived