Premed 101 Forums

Berkeley Review Books - anyone selling in Toronto?

BubbaBlue

Hi, I'm interested in buying the Berkeley Review books, especially the General Chemistry and Organic Chemistry volumes. I understand it takes as much as 6 weeks to ship to Canada. I was hoping to get them sooner, preferably in time to study around the holidays. Is there anyone in the GTA interested in selling any volumes (especially the chemistry volumes)?

All answers appreciated.

Any reason why you want this company specifically?

I spent some time trying to assess which set of books is best for my purposes. My biggest weakness is chemistry. I get royally SN2ed by chemistry on every sample MCAT (a bit of chemistry humour there). From what I've read, the Berekely Review has the best treatment of chemistry, and is also good for physics.

Edit: To be fair, I got the SN2ed joke off the user name of one of the people who recommends the Berkeley Review the most - I'm not that witty, sadly :'(

Oh! I find O.chem pretty fun. I worked in an organic syn. lab so that might make me a bit biased. You don't have much to worry about with orgo though. They'll have maybe 1 or 2 passages devoted to orgo on the test, which is not worth too much worry. Physics is what got me though, 50% of the P/S section.

I used TPR, but I guess I'll look into Berkeley now. Thanks for the answer :).

When are you planning on writing if you're studying over the break?

I know orgo is a small part of the MCAT, but my orgo is really bad. I usually save all the orgo questions for the end, then just guess half the answers :'( (there's that beloved emoticon again - should be the official logo for OMSAS). I easily lose 2 points off my BS score due to orgo alone. The only book I used to study orgo so far was the Kaplan review book (which is awful for orgo).

I'm thinking of writing in mid March, but it's too early to commit to anything now.

Why not wait until summer, or better yet, the end of summer? Are you trying to free it up for something else?

Wow, you're true to your name All_nighter. I thought I was the only night owl around here.

I will be applying to US schools. In the US, it is first come first serve (i.e. the schools acknowledge that there is an advantage to applying early). I want to send my application out as soon as the gates open. In any event, I'm not in school anymore (I work full time), so there's nothing for me to gain by waiting until the summer.

Archived