Premed 101 Forums

How did you do this semester and how do you plan on doing next semester?

m30wc0w

Over the past few days, it's been pretty trendy to despair over the first semester.

But with every sweeping Darkness, comes the promise of New Light!

*ahem* so what were your shortcomings and strengths this semester? What are your plans for next semester??

Myself, I've been putting in a good amount of hours at work, but not enough to school; I worked about 10 hours a week but didn't really study regularly. My grades have sort of reflected that, because even when I did study hard I was very disorganized. I'll start off small next semester, maybe trying to study about ~6 hours a week while working around the same amount of hours as I did last semester.

Well, I don't want to brag, but my semester went really well. :) My lowest mark was 92, my highest 100, and my semester average is 96.2. So things went really well. :)

Next semester, I'll be teaching fewer fitness classes, which means less money. :( Oh well, hopefully I can pick up some more classes elsewhere, or find a community or public health nutrition project that needs a volunteer (that's my back-up plan: doing a dietetic internship and focusing on public health nutrition or community nutrition).

My main issue for next semester at the moment, however, is finding an elective course. All of the good electives that interest me are either full, or conflict with my required courses. So I've been searching for distance courses that focus on public health or community nutrition - I can take something via letter of permission. Haven't had much luck yet. I may start looking at in-class courses at Waterloo or Laurier - I'd be able to drive there on Mondays or Fridays (all my courses are Tues, Wed, Thurs atm). Would be a pain, but UWaterloo is only 40 minutes away.

I reached my goal of A (or A+) in Medical Microbiology, Physiology and Psychology, and A- in Physics and English. I knew I had to be realistic about English and Physics, and honestly, that's the best I could do.

Next semester: I want an A in all of my courses since they are mainly memorization-based except for OCHEM II... which I don't mind at all although I've heard it's much harder than OCHEM I.

All my marks were 90+ except for one in the low 80s. That was an odd case though, as the class average was really high (high 70s) but there was almost zero spread (marks ranged from a 72 to an 82). Not sure if I should be disappointed that it's going to bring down my average or happy to be at the top of the class.

Next semester I want to keep busier. I did well academically this term but wasted a lot of free time doing nothing when I could have been volunteering or something. Overall though, I'm pretty happy. :)

i wanna give OP a break though. i think OP genuinely saw a significant problem with his/her first semester and was looking for tips and what not. could be wrong. if OP's avg is >84, then fts. LOL. if not, i'd say the act of creating the thread was okay, imo, LOL. i say 84 because i'm aware that it's possible to have, like, an 80 avg and still have a comparatively "problematic" 3.5-3.6 gpa. it's harder to have trouble with an 85+ avg.

edit: LOL at below

Over the past few days, it's been pretty trendy to despair over the first semester.

But with every sweeping Darkness, comes the promise of New Light!

*ahem* so what were your shortcomings and strengths this semester? What are your plans for next semester??

Myself, I've been putting in a good amount of hours at work, but not enough to school; I worked about 10 hours a week but didn't really study regularly. My grades have sort of reflected that, because even when I did study hard I was very disorganized. I'll start off small next semester, maybe trying to study about ~6 hours a week while working around the same amount of hours as I did last semester.

i've been miscing too much this semester, got butt fukced in the ass by all my finals because of that. my original mindset of "disregard everything acquire 4.0 gpa" has turned into "disregard everything acquire nothing".

as you can guess, i have 0 extra-curriculars as of now

feelsbadman.jpg

Somehow ended up with 96 in organic I... crazy since I did modern chem back in 2006 lol :P still in shock.. I only had 3 classes this semester tho. 87 in biochem and 95 in addiction (psyc). Next semester biochem II, biological physics and pathogenic micro. Then I'll be done UG #2 :P

I thought you'd of had to take a full course load!

Hi, I am currently a freshman in university and received a C in my first biology course. Would it be possible to retake a course in university just to receive a higher mark in it?

Is it better to retake a course and have a higher mark the second time but also have it on your records or to just keep the C?

dont worry about it most med schools will drop that year as long as you focus on the future and do well in your next 3 years

Drop that year? :confused:

Ignore the marks from that year. Different schools have different ways of calculating your GPA. Many of them have mechanisms in place that are forgiving when it comes to having a bad course, or a bad year (depending on the school of course)

Congrats on the great marks everyone, and good luck in the future!

when they calculate your average gpa for your undergrad most will drop your year with the lowest average gpa

for example:

year 1:3.0

year 2:3.7

year 3:3.8

year 4:3.9

they will use years 2,3, and 4 so your gpa will be 3.8

I'm guessing they'll only drop the lowest year if you have full course loads in all years?

Not bad this semester! I always seem to get one B. Oh well, that's life (especially in a visual arts degree). The rest were As so far.

It was tough with the equivalent of 7 courses in one semester, but I managed to struggle through it.

Next semester should be good, especially schedule wise. I'm hoping to be able to get all As and a B+ in French (my only year long course, figures).

We'll see how it goes :D

Not really.

Calgary only requires 24 credits, and U of A will delete your worst year provided it isn't the only full course load year or the last year.

That's what I thought as well, yet they calculated my GPA and posted it on my application as 4.0 and my yearly breakdowns are as follows:

Year 1 - 4.0

Year 2 - 4.0

Year 3 - 3.97 (got an A- in quantum)

Not sure how they got a 4.0 for me without dropping my third year, I imagine that they would have to include it because it is my last year but I guess not.

Archived