Premed 101 Forums

I hate students who take Kinesiology as an EASY way to get into medical school

A 'huge' difference... between 89% and 93%... not really... once you cross the 88% mark... there is not a huge advantage... you could have a 99% and still not get accepted... as long as you have an 87.5% or higher... you have a very good shot... look at the stats...

Good point. It's the same with the MCAT at Dal, pass a threshold and nobody cares for any better, same thing with MCAT at UofT. Knowing stuff like this is all part of playing the game.

Oh wow that is depressing. Would be cool if somehow UofA could have seats for all Sask residents (kinda like the plastics seat they have.)

What if the College of Medicine at the U of S cannot fix its accreditation problems, and will have to close down?

If Saskatchewan's only medical school closes down, I wonder if other medical schools across Canada will save some seats for SK residents, like they do for Northwest Territory residents.

A 'huge' difference... between 89% and 93%... not really... once you cross the 88% mark... there is not a huge advantage... you could have a 99% and still not get accepted... as long as you have an 87.5% or higher... you have a very good shot... look at the stats...

That's not true. I asked the medical school students about that, and they said an 89% and a 93% makes a huge difference.

When different applicants have different scores in the MMI.....yeah, it DOES make a huge difference.

That's not true. I asked the medical school students about that, and they said an 89% and a 93% makes a huge difference.

When different applicants have different scores in the MMI.....yeah, it DOES make a huge difference.

I never argued that. What I argued is that a 93 in kines is better than an 89 in biochem. So if you can't get the 95+ you want in biochem, switch.

if you cant handle the major then switch... however the grass is always greener on the other side...;)
That's what I'm doing. I'm quitting school next semester. I'll use that free time to build up on my extracurricular activities and volunteering. I plan to start fresh in kinesiology next September.

That's what I'm doing. I'm quitting school next semester. I'll use that free time to build up on my extracurricular activities and volunteering. I plan to start fresh in kinesiology next September.

If thats what you truly wish for... then go for it! Honestly, think about whether you'll like the courses or not... if you don't think you will... don't do it... do something like education... but generally the kin courses provide much more active than passive learning and are easier... Good luck with your future! :D

If thats what you truly wish for... then go for it! Honestly, think about whether you'll like the courses or not... if you don't think you will... don't do it... do something like education... but generally the kin courses provide much more active than passive learning and are easier... Good luck with your future! :D

Thanks David!!!

Seriously, if I had known any better before I started university, I could have just went directly into kinesiology, and avoid Arts & Science completely. I'm in my third year, and I feel like I wasted all these years studying my a** off for nothing. All these BMSC and biochemistry classes that I took for nothing! They're all going to waste! Except for the prereqs BMSC 200 and 230. But still, the other classes weren't easy either. Grrrrrrrrrrrrrrr.

What if the College of Medicine at the U of S cannot fix its accreditation problems, and will have to close down?

If Saskatchewan's only medical school closes down, I wonder if other medical schools across Canada will save some seats for SK residents, like they do for Northwest Territory residents.

Extremely unlikely they will not be able to fix things. Extremely :)

he's not. that's why he said 'unlikely'

U of S' standing is no big deal. their relatively poor performance in the last 2 years does not equate an inadequate curriculum on the absolute scale. every year, there will always be one school that is the worst.

don't get caught up with all this probation tomfoolery. it makes sexy headlines, that's all. what really happened was the school didn't quite meet enough accreditation standards set by the ivory tower, which comes to visit every 4 years. there are +130 standards that are pretty specific and are constantly evolving. naturally, they can be tough to meet.

it's just CACMS' way of keeping each school up to date. some deficiencies will be time consuming, but nothing insurmountable. may include silly things like more interdisciplinary focus, more small group learning, etc.

• 2 weeks later...

I hate people who hate on people that take Kin for getting into medical school. :D

I finished a micro degree. Did a year of commerce and now am in my 2nd year of kin. Kin is by FAR the most interesting, relevant to real life major I have taken.

Yes it is easier to get a higher avg in Kin then say Biochem or Micro but there are other degrees that are easy as well.

First 2 years of ANY degree are "easy" and the only reason I am in kin now is because I am not allowed to take a bunch of random cool classes because I need to be going towards something.

SO my advice for you is.. Try hard in your first 2 years to get a high average, then take a degree you like and find interesting.

If I could go back in time I would have chosen kin straight out of high school. Also though if I could go back in time I would have actually tried in my first 2 years..

How do you know for sure?

For starters any school that has ever going into trouble has fixed it. Second everyone that ever graduated from that school, teaches at the school, donated to that school would want it fixed as well - that is a lot of political pressure. Three the government is going to look very silly if they cannot. Fourth the province needs its own medical school to manage its health care needs and ultimately economy so there are very logical reasons to fix it.

I hate people who hate on people that take Kin for getting into medical school. :D

I finished a micro degree. Did a year of commerce and now am in my 2nd year of kin. Kin is by FAR the most interesting, relevant to real life major I have taken.

Yes it is easier to get a higher avg in Kin then say Biochem or Micro but there are other degrees that are easy as well.

First 2 years of ANY degree are "easy" and the only reason I am in kin now is because I am not allowed to take a bunch of random cool classes because I need to be going towards something.

SO my advice for you is.. Try hard in your first 2 years to get a high average, then take a degree you like and find interesting.

If I could go back in time I would have chosen kin straight out of high school. Also though if I could go back in time I would have actually tried in my first 2 years..

LOL. This is not even close to true.

AMEN!

I did Micro my first degree ( :confused::( ).. then did a bit of a tox degree and am now in Kin.

being a medical professional is not all about marks. There are so many other factors that come in to play. I have a well rounded life, I can talk to any person about anything. Just because I can pull off 90's in Kin but not Micro doesn't make me any less qualified than any other individual.

Oh to only go back in time and tell 18 year old me that bio 110, physics 111, chem 112 and o.chem250 in one year is NOT the way to do it..... :cool:

AMEN!

I did Micro my first degree ( :confused::( ).. then did a bit of a tox degree and am now in Kin.

being a medical professional is not all about marks. There are so many other factors that come in to play. I have a well rounded life, I can talk to any person about anything. Just because I can pull off 90's in Kin but not Micro doesn't make me any less qualified than any other individual.

Oh to only go back in time and tell 18 year old me that bio 110, physics 111, chem 112 and o.chem250 in one year is NOT the way to do it..... :cool:

It shows nothing of your qualifications if your high marks are the result only of an easy major and not any kind of individual ability. Yet, if you get a spot in medical school (instead of another applicant, mind you) it would be partially on the basis of those meaningless but high grades. You guys are missing the point.

It shows nothing of your qualifications if your high marks are the result only of an easy major and not any kind of individual ability. Yet, if you get a spot in medical school (instead of another applicant, mind you) it would be partially on the basis of those meaningless but high grades. You guys are missing the point.

+1

This is pretty well said.