Premed 101 Forums

I hate students who take Kinesiology as an EASY way to get into medical school

It shows nothing of your qualifications if your high marks are the result only of an easy major and not any kind of individual ability. Yet, if you get a spot in medical school (instead of another applicant, mind you) it would be partially on the basis of those meaningless but high grades. You guys are missing the point.

How exactly is that missing the point? In the overall picture, grades are meaningless. In reality, what is the difference between an 85 and a 90? I think we can all agree that with entrances becoming increasingly competitive, you require near a 90, or above. Because there is NO WAY to equalize the classes or undergrad degrees people take, why not study something that sets you up for the greatest chance of success?

Who says that marks at the best/only way to determine the best candidates for medical schools? How can you compare someone who gets "perfect" marks but does nothing but study to someone who gets good marks but volunteers, works, etc?

cut all this bull****

you study what you enjoy seriously.

you like solving mathematical problems with applications? and you do well at it? well go into physics/engineering and you'll prob do well

you like memorizing facts and things related to nature and do well? go into biology/biochemistry

you like random bugs and how they grow and affect our body? go into micro or immunology

you like bones, sports, physical health etc? go into kinesiology

if you enjoy it, you'll study it and you'll do well in it and if your goal turns out to be medicine, you'll get in.

just chill the fk out ciel999

if you aren't doing well in biochem then that means you chose your degree incorrectly. it's yourself to blame and nobody

cut all this bull****

you like solving mathematical problems with applications? and you do well at it? well go into physics/engineering and you'll prob do well

you like memorizing facts and things related to nature and do well? go into biology/biochemistry

you like random bugs and how they grow and affect our body? go into micro or immunology

if you enjoy it, you'll study it and you'll do well in it and if your goal turns out to be medicine, you'll get in.

if you aren't doing well in biochem then that means you chose your degree incorrectly. it's yourself to blame and nobody

Well said!

cut all this bull****

+1

10 char

cut all this bull****

Very well said!!!

Who says that marks at the best/only way to determine the best candidates for medical schools? How can you compare someone who gets "perfect" marks but does nothing but study to someone who gets good marks but volunteers, works, etc?

That is exactly the problem med school admissions officers need to solve. If you believe they are good at it (and I think they generally are) then definitely in their analysis of the situation grades play a very significant but not absolutely important role in the ultimate skill you will be able to obtain as a doctor. None of them operate on grades alone.

And to be honest as a person working on a second bachelor's degree in Kinesiology, I have no bad things to say about the college and to enter Kinesiology from high school is very competitive as is as well as transferring over to the college from another post secondary program, so there really is no "unfair advantage" its just choosing your undergraduate degree appropriately. I do not regret my first bachelor's degree in physiology because it was amazing and loved every minute of it! Unfortunately I wasn't competitive enough and which led me to pursue another degree to raise my average. I am proud to say I am still following my dream :) I think both programs just made me a stronger intellectual person!

How exactly is that missing the point? In the overall picture, grades are meaningless. In reality, what is the difference between an 85 and a 90? I think we can all agree that with entrances becoming increasingly competitive, you require near a 90, or above. Because there is NO WAY to equalize the classes or undergrad degrees people take, why not study something that sets you up for the greatest chance of success?

You're creating a strawman argument by arguing against the converse. The argument is, most closely, that someone who gets high grades because of an easy major is not necessarily better qualified than someone with mediocre grades taking a "difficult" major. That is not to say that someone with high grades in a easy major is underqualified because they took an easy major, and indeed I would encourage anyone to take the easiest major they are interested in.

No where does it seem anyone argued that marks are the best/only way to evaluate applicants, nor that there is any reliable way to account for the lack of standardization, but if huge differences exist in the general difficulty of programs, it degrades the value of using marks as a basis of admission at all. There are obvious deficiencies in every metric used by med school admissions, including grades, but imo most systems are overall decent.

Unlike ciel, I don't have anything against students who take "easy" programs, but some of them do so to consciously gain an advantage in professional school admissions, and ignoring that advantage doesn't solve the problem.

You're creating a strawman argument by arguing against the converse. The argument is, most closely, that someone who gets high grades because of an easy major is not necessarily better qualified than someone with mediocre grades taking a "difficult" major. That is not to say that someone with high grades in a easy major is underqualified because they took an easy major, and indeed I would encourage anyone to take the easiest major they are interested in.

No where does it seem anyone argued that marks are the best/only way to evaluate applicants, nor that there is any reliable way to account for the lack of standardization, but if huge differences exist in the general difficulty of programs, it degrades the value of using marks as a basis of admission at all. There are obvious deficiencies in every metric used by med school admissions, including grades, but imo most systems are overall decent.

Unlike ciel, I don't have anything against students who take "easy" programs, but some of them do so to consciously gain an advantage in professional school admissions, and ignoring that advantage doesn't solve the problem.

Exactly.

Also, I agree with jerkout's post, great stuff.

Amazingly said... just because you have stated the truth... but I would argue that its not a 'decent system' Have you seen the 5 year summary?? Having an average above 88% gives an individual an insurmountable advantage...

Okay well I should have said.. Other then engineering.

Other then that. Prove me wrong?

Chemistry and physics are harder than engineering here, so is math. We use the engineers to scale off of in all of our joint classes with them. Through quantum mechanics, differential equations, multivariate calculus, thermodynamics, etc, into your first two years and you'll realize it's not "easy" (unless you're a genius, but to us normal people, those are hard courses and did not make an "easy" course load).

• 7 years later...

IK this is 7 years later but I don't think they look at undergraduate degrees for IQ or intelligence. Its more for work habits and if you are disciplined. MCAT is more of a intelligence test they look at. 

Plus, congrats to most of you guys making it into Med or Den. Your dreams came true I guess!

On 12/21/2012 at 4:28 PM, ciel999 said:

It's so unfair. Here I am working my a** off for a Biochemistry degree, sacrificing my social life and leisure activities as a result.

And here are these hoards of students pursuing a degree in Kinesiology for the easy marks, just so they can get into Medicine.

Lmao no one said for you to take Biochemistry.

Or perhaps the national exam grades have been the lowest because the University of Saskatchewan has been creating more clinical based and interpersonal physicians. If you don't understand that then you clearly have no clinical experience. The University of Saskatchewan takes pride in diversity and accepting individuals based on how they interact with other people and patients. If you wanna bitch about grades, apply to U of T. I know many individuals who have been accepted with an 78-85 average to U of S and are better jersey's than current residents from OOP medical schools. Your argument is shit. If you're hoping other individuals don't get into medicine based on their undergraduate degree, well that says what kind of class mate I DON'T want.

P.S. My undergrad degree is in Kinesiology, will be applying this year :) 

So you're saying the College of Medicine is encouraging applicants to take the easy way?

No wonder the College of Medicine is losing its accreditation, as a result of admitting incompetent students.

At the University of Saskatchewan, graduating medical students’ national exam grades have been the lowest in the country for the past two years.

Read more: http://www.thestarphoenix.com/University+Saskatchewan+council+vote+again+changes+College+Medicine/7727909/story.html