Premed 101 Forums

Writing/ Have you written the GRE?

Hey! I was wondering if any of you are writing the GRE? Or have you written it already? Is taking a prep course a traditional method of preparation or is it mainly self-study that is most common?

I ask b/c I am on the fence as to wether or not I should enrol in a $1300 prep course by Kaplan which consists of like 10 classes... I wrote the SAT btw... and heard the gre is like its grandfather haha but took a prep course for that...

In terms of discipline - I can study dilligently on my own - but I love to interact with instructors and especially fellow test-takers and the class-room environment keeps me on my toes and interactive...

What do you guys think? I would love to hear about your experiences with this :)

Wow thank-you for your prompt advice :) I shall keep this in mind; I am trying to talk to as many people possible. And if you don't mind me asking what program is your friend in at Yale (and is he/she on this forum)? I would LOVE to do my MPH there. The program only accepts 100-something applicants so its really competitive - hence I am willing to shell out the 1300 for the course if I have to but for now seems like self-studying just might do it...

She is in the 2 year program Masters in Global Public Health. She had a couple of years experience working with improving the conditions/opportunities of aboriginals in another part of the world where there were too many addictions and suicides amongst the youth, and this no doubt was a factor in her acceptance. She is not a member here.

Archived