Premed 101 Forums

Repeated courses -- when a school says they count both...

nauru

For repeated courses, when a school says they count both the old grade and the new grade, does that mean they average the grades and that is what you get for that course (same weight) or is the weight of that course effectively doubled, since the old grade is counted as a course completed, and the new grade is counted as a course completed?

The double counting method would make it possible for students to juke their GPA by taking really easy courses twice each, so that you can get a high grade both times and have it count for double in your GPA calculation.

I know the implications for full course load, etc. But what I'm not clear on is how the weighting of the GPA is affected here.

Thanks.

For repeated courses, when a school says they count both the old grade and the new grade, does that mean they average the grades and that is what you get for that course (same weight) or is the weight of that course effectively doubled, since the old grade is counted as a course completed, and the new grade is counted as a course completed?

The double counting method would make it possible for students to juke their GPA by taking really easy courses twice each, so that you can get a high grade both times and have it count for double in your GPA calculation.

I know the implications for full course load, etc. But what I'm not clear on is how the weighting of the GPA is affected here.

Thanks.

AFAIK it's basically treated as 2 different courses. But you should Email that med school and make sure for yourself.

Archived