Premed 101 Forums

Masters of Public Health

Hey everyone :)

First of all Merry Christmas! (and Happy Holidays for those of you who celebrate other holidays this time of year!)

I am interested in pursuing an MPH. A lot of the programs require related public health work experience though- which I do not really have ( I have clinically related experience though.) Does anyone have any suggestions on how to get public health experience . I have googled for the last 2 hours and eveyrthing is American. I searched up Toronto Public Health and Ontario Public Health but their placements are geared towards current mph students and grads. If anyone has any advice or has been admitted to an mph school I would be so grateful to get in touch with you!

I haven't been admitted to an MPH program, but I am interested in some of the combined MPH/dietetic internship programs. In several of my nutrition courses, we have had presentations from dietitians who work in public health, and their advice was to offer to volunteer at a public health unit. They tend to have lots of projects on the go that could use volunteers.

I don't know if that's a possibility in the area where you live, but it is something to look into.

Forgive my ignorance but what exactly do you mean volunteer at a public health unit? Do you mean for example, something like Toronto Public Health?

The problem is that Ive researched these avenues and it seems - from the sole hr I allocated towards researching this online - that most opportunities are for MPH students or grads... Most public health experience opportunities cite prior public health experience as a requisite too.. so Im kind of lost with where to even begin...

Forgive my ignorance but what exactly do you mean volunteer at a public health unit? Do you mean for example, something like Toronto Public Health?

Yep. Generally speaking, these public health units run all kinds of community programs, and those programs often need volunteers. For example, the Community Food Advisor program consists of volunteers who do presentations to community organizations that request one. http://www.communityfoodadvisor.ca/

Another project that has volunteers is inMotion: http://wdginmotion.ca/

Check out your local public health unit - they should have a page that lists volunteer opportunities, or they may list them in their news releases. Of course, if you are in Toronto, then maybe they just don't have opportunities for those who aren't MPH students, due to sheer numbers. But in smaller cities there are definitely opportunities.

You might also want to check out some of the partner organizations that public health units work with, if the public health unit itself doesn't have anything available. They are sure to have volunteer opportunities.

Thanks for elucidating and for providing the links, its much appreciated! :)

I'm also trying to see if I can do an epi/ public health related research project this summer to bolster my interest! I am avidly researching right now... If I find anything nutrition related that may interest you I can pm you if you'd like!

Yep. Generally speaking, these public health units run all kinds of community programs, and those programs often need volunteers. For example, the Community Food Advisor program consists of volunteers who do presentations to community organizations that request one. http://www.communityfoodadvisor.ca/

Another project that has volunteers is inMotion: http://wdginmotion.ca/

Check out your local public health unit - they should have a page that lists volunteer opportunities, or they may list them in their news releases. Of course, if you are in Toronto, then maybe they just don't have opportunities for those who aren't MPH students, due to sheer numbers. But in smaller cities there are definitely opportunities.

You might also want to check out some of the partner organizations that public health units work with, if the public health unit itself doesn't have anything available. They are sure to have volunteer opportunities.

Hey everyone :)

First of all Merry Christmas! (and Happy Holidays for those of you who celebrate other holidays this time of year!)

I am interested in pursuing an MPH. A lot of the programs require related public health work experience though- which I do not really have ( I have clinically related experience though.) Does anyone have any suggestions on how to get public health experience . I have googled for the last 2 hours and eveyrthing is American. I searched up Toronto Public Health and Ontario Public Health but their placements are geared towards current mph students and grads. If anyone has any advice or has been admitted to an mph school I would be so grateful to get in touch with you!

Hey there,

If you can volunteer or work for an organization that is related to the social determinants of health (for example: housing, literacy, employment) then combined with your clinical experience you should be in good standing.

Archived