Premed 101 Forums

Taking Pre-Reqs in 3rd Year

dannyboy

Hey everyone,

I'm currently in second year, majoring in philosophy, but I have not completed any prerequisites yet. My plan is to take first year biology and chemistry over the summer, and then take organic chemistry and some other second year biology courses next fall and winter.

My question is regarding the level of the courses I'll be taking. Because I didn't snatch up the prerequisites in my first two years, I will have to take a few first and second year courses while I'm in third and fourth year. I'm wondering how that will affect my application?

To outline:

Year 2:

Taking mostly second year philosophy courses

Summer 2013:

Introductory biology and chemistry courses

Year 3:

~1.5-2.0 credits worth of third/fourth year philosophy

~2.5 credits worth of second year biology and organic chemistry

1.0 credit worth first year mathematical statistics (this is optional)

Year 4:

Will be consisting of ~1.5-2.0 credits worth of fourth year philosophy and ~2.0 credits worth of third year biology (there will be other courses to maintain a full course load as well)

This outline is approximate (I'm at my girlfriend's place and don't have my course spreadsheet I made with me), but I hope it displays what I'm trying to convey. Main concern: will taking this amount of second and third year courses while in third and fourth year be viewed differently than if I were to take appropriate courses in appropriate years?

Thanks. :)

Hey everyone,

I'm currently in second year, majoring in philosophy, but I have not completed any prerequisites yet. My plan is to take first year biology and chemistry over the summer, and then take organic chemistry and some other second year biology courses next fall and winter.

My question is regarding the level of the courses I'll be taking. Because I didn't snatch up the prerequisites in my first two years, I will have to take a few first and second year courses while I'm in third and fourth year. I'm wondering how that will affect my application?

To outline:

Year 2:

Taking mostly second year philosophy courses

Summer 2013:

Introductory biology and chemistry courses

Year 3:

~1.5-2.0 credits worth of third/fourth year philosophy

~2.5 credits worth of second year biology and organic chemistry

1.0 credit worth first year mathematical statistics (this is optional)

Year 4:

Will be consisting of ~1.5-2.0 credits worth of fourth year philosophy and ~2.0 credits worth of third year biology (there will be other courses to maintain a full course load as well)

This outline is approximate (I'm at my girlfriend's place and don't have my course spreadsheet I made with me), but I hope it displays what I'm trying to convey. Main concern: will taking this amount of second and third year courses while in third and fourth year be viewed differently than if I were to take appropriate courses in appropriate years?

Thanks. :)

I should ask which schools are these prereqs for? :) Just triple checking they are required etc.

I should ask which schools are these prereqs for? :) Just triple checking they are required etc.

I've marked down all schools that do not require physics. Preferably, I would like to focus on schools in Ontario, though. But I'm open to anywhere, for the most part.

I'll be taking the prereqs (bio, gchem, and ochem) as well as some higher level biology (such as cell, micro, biochem, and molecular).

Thanks for all the input, everyone! :)

I've marked down all schools that do not require physics. Preferably, I would like to focus on schools in Ontario, though. But I'm open to anywhere, for the most part.

I'll be taking the prereqs (bio, gchem, and ochem) as well as some higher level biology (such as cell, micro, biochem, and molecular).

Thanks for all the input, everyone! :)

Sounds good! Most schools in Ontario don't really have serious prereqs so you are focusing a bit on Ottawa then. Just don't let your push for getting them done interfere with your overall GPA and best of luck!

Archived