Premed 101 Forums

Chances for Pharmacology Program?

Hey guys, I'm in first year and I was wondering if I have a shot at the pharmacology program, I saw that they only admit 18 students in third year, and they look at an average of >75%, I just finished my first semester with an average of 72.4% (I KNOW, I know, horrible..) but I heard that you need >90% to get in usually for year 1 and 2, but i dont think thats possible for me right now. ( or is it? I'm going to try much harder in second sem, but is it even possible? )

I'm also taking Bio140 right now and thats not required for major in Pharmacology, and I heard it requires a lot of work. I would drop it if I'm more confident about getting into Pharmacology and focus on the required subjects, but I know that other majors require Bio140 so if I dont have a good shot at Pharmacology I should just take 140 to keep options open....I dont know what to do, and need advice, please help anyone?

Although there are no official statistics on the admission requirements of the pharmacology program I would say that an 80+ average is required. I would also say that in my year most but not all of the students in pharmacology were science scholars (90+ average).

However, keep in mind that admission to the program is made in third year so your second year marks also play a role. Also if you manage to increase your grades in second year drastically, it is possible to get admitted to the program even with a slightly low average (of first two years) if you show great interest.

Regarding the BIOL 140 I thought that it is pre req for med school so that might change your opinion on it (double check on that your self).

Although there are no official statistics on the admission requirements of the pharmacology program I would say that an 80+ average is required. I would also say that in my year most but not all of the students in pharmacology were science scholars (90+ average).

However, keep in mind that admission to the program is made in third year so your second year marks also play a role. Also if you manage to increase your grades in second year drastically, it is possible to get admitted to the program even with a slightly low average (of first two years) if you show great interest.

Regarding the BIOL 140 I thought that it is pre req for med school so that might change your opinion on it (double check on that your self).

Thank you! Yeah I know that second year is important, and I am aiming for high marks, I just wanted to know if i could scrounge up a 90 ish average in first year..... >.< Anyways, I forgot that 140 was required for med school! Thanks for reminding me, gotta take that. :)

Last year cut-off for pharmacology was 87%. And that is without any GPA booster courses included. (Dr.Karim re-calculates your GPA without electives... lol)

I'm going to be honest with you, the chances of you getting accepted in pharmacology is very slim if not zero. I had 80% average in first year and 90% in second and still was not accepted despite the drastic improvement. Also note my first term was actually a 76% and my last term in 2nd year was over 90%...

However if you're thinking about medical school, I would HIGHLY recommend you stick with easy major and easy GPA boosters because with 72% average you should be worrying about meeting medical school GPA requirement and NOT pharmacology.

Too many first years think pharmacology will be the road to med school (myself being one). I have many friends in pharmacology/physiology who regret the decision because they have to work much harder than I do to get the same grades...

Last year cut-off for pharmacology was 87%. And that is without any GPA booster courses included. (Dr.Karim re-calculates your GPA without electives... lol)

I'm going to be honest with you, the chances of you getting accepted in pharmacology is very slim if not zero. I had 80% average in first year and 90% in second and still was not accepted despite the drastic improvement. Also note my first term was actually a 76% and my last term in 2nd year was over 90%...

However if you're thinking about medical school, I would HIGHLY recommend you stick with easy major and easy GPA boosters because with 72% average you should be worrying about meeting medical school GPA requirement and NOT pharmacology.

Too many first years think pharmacology will be the road to med school (myself being one). I have many friends in pharmacology/physiology who regret the decision because they have to work much harder than I do to get the same grades...

I`m guessing you are aiming for med school as well? What major did you choose? and did you choose in third year? thanks for your advice!

I`m guessing you are aiming for med school as well? What major did you choose? and did you choose in third year? thanks for your advice!

Haha I presume almost everyone on this forum is aiming for med school.

I chose CMS (it's the new general science).

UBC doesn't look at which major you choose so 85% in CMS/gen sci is still better than 84% in honours pharmacology with physics minor.

With CMS I have around 5 electives in my 3rd year right now and some of my pre-requisite courses are being taken by students from other major as an elective (e.g. pharmacology) haha.

So pretty much 7/10 courses I take in 3rd year are considered "gpa booster" if not very easy.

Archived