Premed 101 Forums

How are my chances for Canadian and US schools?

So I have a not very high cGPA of 3.59 (my senior GPA was close to 3.9) at a top 20 US school (not that it matters T_T) with an MCAT of 33 (P:12, V:11, B:10)

I'm also a BC resident.

For ECs:

I have 2~3 years of research experience in a lab right now and a paper may be published soon with me as 2nd or 3rd author, but not sure if it'll be out by the time I apply. Was in a different lab freshman/sophmore year but left cause I didn't like it as much.

Volunteered at general nursing ward at hospital and an adult day care center for patients with Alzheimers. Also, applying to a medical scribe position for the next few months before I apply. I have a few leadershipish(?) positions in 2 clubs at school and have tutored some kids for a year.

Also shadowed 2 doctors.

I want to apply to both Canadian and US schools this upcoming cycle with a gap year. Do I have a chance for getting a MD? What schools should I apply to? I've been getting really worried going through these threads..:( Any suggestions to boost my application??

Thanks !!

Well Western and Queens only look at 2 years so you probably have a good shot at those two schools since you did well in your last year (and you have 11 in VR!). As for US, your MCAT score is pretty good but your GPA would definitely hold you back...and generally US schools just look at your cGPA without any grade drops, etc. That said, make sure you do your grade conversions based on the AMCAS scale, as it is known to be quite generous to Canadian schools. If after those conversions, your GPA is 3.7+, you will have a good shot at several schools. But you must make sure you meet the strict prerequisite courses of the US schools, as most of them require a full year of bio/chem/physics with lab and English, with slight variances among the schools. Also, you would have a very good shot at DO schools as well, so if you have met the prerequisites and apply broadly in the US as well as Western & Queens in Canada, you will probably land up somewhere.

Hope that helps and good luck!

Thanks!

I got all the prereq's down, but I'm pretty sure that GPA won't change with the AMCAS T_T... I was really hoping to get in a MD program, do I really have no chance for an MD?

You do have a chance, especially with your good MCAT, high verbal, and upward trend in GPA. The GPA of your science courses is also important, which you did not specify. Not that you asked, but it's possible to get into a top 20 US MD school with your stats, though probably not with your extracurriculars.

Schools to consider include: Wayne State, Rosalind Franklin, Kentucky, Jefferson, George Washington, and Michigan State.

Thanks for the school recommendations!! I'm not really aiming for top 20 at this point lol... So i just calculated my science GPA: 3.55~so there's not a big difference. I really don't know how to improve my application by this summer? Any recommendations??

Thanks for the school recommendations!! I'm not really aiming for top 20 at this point lol... So i just calculated my science GPA: 3.55~so there's not a big difference. I really don't know how to improve my application by this summer? Any recommendations??

APPLY EARLY. You can continue your current activities and also do research. Make sure you write your essays well, ie. AMCAS personal statement and secondary application essays.

• 3 weeks later...

Archived