Premed 101 Forums

Official 2006 NHL Playoffs thread!

Guest noncestvrai

OH YEAH!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

4-3 Oilers in double overtime. "Thank-you come again"...... awwwww, i'm sorry Detriot... you biatches aren't playing in your punk ass division anymore.....eat it!

hmhem, i mean...good game...good game....strong showing old chap:b

• Replies 131
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Guest TheChosenOneDDS

it doesn't matter if edmonton wins or not, they will lose next round anyways.

I don't like detroit quite frankly, but i am just going with statistics and their ability thus far, personal preference has nothing to do with it. So it's not really in my face. I actually want Edmonton to win on a personal note. I would also like the Habs or any Canadian team to take the cup and I hate the Devils. But will it happen? Good chance it will not.

If it was personal, I'd lose a lot of money. I lost on Edmonton but i won on all the rest. I don't play proline..too hard to win with their rules.

Guest UWOMED2005

Edmonton has tons of speed, solid defense, and a Goalie that could be terrible or great (Roloson.)

They could be a huge upset team. . . I wouldn't be surprised to see them knock off Detroit. . . or even be the surprise team of the playoffs.

I think Calgary is a gritty team, but everybody around here is acting like they expect the team in the finals and it will be a disappointment if they lose in game 7 of the finals again. That's @#%$. I like the flames, but for them to make the finals again would be overachieving. But they are competitive and should be fun to watch.

I like Ottawa in the east. Many teams that eventually won the Stanley Cup (Dallas in the late 90s, the Rangers in the early 90s, Calgary in the late 1980s) earned the rap that they weren't "playoff" teams because they didn't win a stanley cup. That's BS - it takes a lot to win, and every year tons of good teams don't win. The sens have been to the conference finals ('03) so have done well in the playoffs before. I don't believe that "bad playoff team" voodoo @#%$. The team was pretty much the best offensive and defensive team all year - they're the team to beat, until proven otherwise.

Guest TheChosenOneDDS

yeah but the sens d just got back from injury.

and without hasek they would have to work double hard.

not to mention you have to win 4 games not 1. Ottawa, can they do it? sure....but at the same time, they seem to suck against devils.

offensively they are sick. Detroit's team has shaky goaltending. Edmonton has nothing to lose.

from experience i find that teams with hot goalies win playoffs or at least make the finals. Devils have proven this. Theodore some what proven this..Calgary, Ducks, etc. So without a good goalie to keep u in, no matter how good ur offense is, you'll lose. THe Ducks couldn't beat the Devils only because their team SUCKED. They couldn't rely on Jiggy and Brodeur is probably the among the top 5 goalies of all time (Roy is the best). Tampa beat Calgary is controversial. But tampa had khabibulin who was also good....

Seems like the last few years minus Detroit with Osgood, all the teams that took the cup had a great goalie.

Roy, Brodeur, Khabibulin.

Guest silverjelly86

It's true. You need a good goalie, especially if your offense is a bit weak (*cough* Flames *cough). But I don't think that Hasek being out will really determine Ottawa's fate. Emery's good enough to take them to the finals, I believe. Legace is nothing great, so I really believe that if Rolly can keep it up, Edmonton will take the series in 6 games (4/2). I'm not sure about Esche, 'cause he's been sucking hard lately; don't know what's wrong with Philly lately. Then again, they only have Forsberg, so I guess that's not enough star power or whatever. Philly and the Rangers are both gone in 5; they'll manage to win a game. Flames will barely squeak by the Ducks in 7, and Ottawa will win 'gainst Tampa in 7 also.

That's all my predictions for now - the ones that I care about/know enough about/watched enough of to make an educated guess.

Guest treehuggingbiologist

GO SENS!

WHO NEEDS A GOALIE WHEN YOU CAN JUST OUTSCORE THE OPPOSITION!

Hehe. It was an awesome game last night! I'm surprised Philly hasn't beated Buffalo to a pulp though. For a team known for brawling, they're awfully tame this year.

Guest DoNair

East

Sens - 6 no prob..

Habs - 4 Huet!

Devils - 4 Rangers no jagr = suck

Sabres - 7 it will be close, Forsberg = clutch sabres are the only team that won both games at home, hence no sweep here. Forsberg will wake up but not enough. Sabres are for real

What are you talking about? If they won the first 2 games then how is there "no sweep here" ???

You obviously don't know anything about the NHL. You do cheer for the Flames after all! :P

Btw, Calgary isn't a playoff team. 1989 was a fluke. (remember which team won the cup the 2 years prior to that and then year after?) So was 2004.

The flames scored 5 goals last night! They must have used up all their offence then; no goals for the rest of the series. Go home iginla! you can't even grow a playoff beard. PATHETIC! :P

Oilers outplayed the Wings so bad on Tuesday. I was there, I saw it!

And, if you guys want to go on statistics then look at who Detroit played! 8 times versus St. Louis, Chicago and Columbus! If the Oilers played those basement dwellers that much we would be in 1st place overall.

Guest PanjabiMD
East

Sens - 6 no prob..

Habs - 4 Huet!

Devils - 4 Rangers no jagr = suck

Sabres - 7 it will be close, Forsberg = clutch sabres are the only team that won both games at home, hence no sweep here. Forsberg will wake up but not enough. Sabres are for real

What are you talking about? If they won the first 2 games then how is there "no sweep here" ???

No sweep because they lost tonight.

But, I think he/she was trying to say that since Buffalo won thier first 2 games at home, they have to win the next two in Philly, which is very difficult.

PMD

Guest TimmyMax

Hey,

BOOOOOOOOOO!

Tough one, Habs.

Rangers are done like dinner. Philly showed surprising resilience, but they'll be done in 5.

Best of luck!

Timmy

Guest silverjelly86

HTML Comments are not allowed

Edit: I hate that. Wrote a couple paragraphs - gone 'cause of a stupid arrow sign. Hate the 'net sometimes.

Guest silverjelly86

Anyways, this is definitely a condensed version: Knew the Habs were done when on the penalty, Souray stood around like a sack of potatoes when he broke his stick. I mean . . . do something!

Ward was surprisingly good tonight. Good call to pull Gerber.

Guest TheChosenOneDDS

DoNair I said no sweep, there was no sweep. (in regards to the buffalo series. Did I not predict that Forsberg will wake up after that 8-2 thrashing? What happened, Forsberg scores the first two goals and gets an assist.)

What is wrong with cheering for calgary?

I cheer for them because they are a Canadian team, I like their hustle and I lived in calgary when i was 5 till about 12. It's like cheering for the Leafs.

I said, that is personal. But I bet based on stats and from what I observe (i.e. how they are playing and assess their potential). you're right I'm a fluke, I made quite a bit of money so far in the playoffs. I don't think I predicted the Flames to win the cup, even though I want to. READ CAREFULLY.

Detroit and Edmonton still have a ways to go. When I believe 2 out of the 3 games went into OT. How can you be so sure i am wrong and you are right? I am merely giving an opinion about who I think will win. Who are you to judge me?

Man it's just that you're from Edmonton and i'm cheering for Calgary and I was a bit harsh on Edmonton. So you probably took offense to that. Damn man, how's that for using objective reasoning as opposed to being biased (as you have criticized about me)?

Just relax, enjoy the playoffs and if you're so right, bet money on it. Do something productive, rather than telling me i don't know hockey because I already won a couple hundred bucks thx to the Hab and Colorado upsets. Telling me off won't really give you anything...

But i did make a few mistakes, Buffalo isn't the only team to win both their home games therefore, harder to win the next two in philly as Punjabi had pointed out, NJ also won their two home games.

And Unfortunately the Habs did not sweep as I predicted.

Also my friend, my picks are very similar to yours, except in the number of games it will take to close the series. So if I don't know anything about hockey....you can fill in the rest, your'e a smart boy.

Guest TheChosenOneDDS

sorry just don't like being insulted so blantantly with no basis. But I don't really want to start anymore beef with anyone or single anyone out, so I hope DoNair can accept things the way they are and have a civil truce.

Guest GundamDX

it sounded like a CAL vs EDM fan here... lol well to make you guys feel better I am aVAN fan we just fired out coach :D:D:D

The thing about the Buf-Phi series is that when they smacked them 8-2 they got cocky I guess... When Ruff said the Flyers played like idiots I think that really fired up PHI coz those kinda comments will piss anyone off... so not a good move by BUF... when you got a team down like that, just leave them there, no need to use verbal assult when you can flatten them on the ice... but now they've angered the Flyers and I think we'll have a good series, as long as the goaltending is good on both sides

Re: the MTL-CAR series, it's fortunate that Ward can stop pucks... or else MTL will have a freebie in first round :D Now they're in tough coz it'll come down to a goaltending duel

Man are goalies important when it comes to the playoffs... :D

Guest GundamDX

btw is soccer really that unpopular in Canada? what the rest of the world is REALLY interested in is the World Cup in Germany in the summer... :D

Guest TimmyMax

Hey,

what the rest of the world is REALLY interested in is the World Cup in Germany in the summer... :D

That's so wonderful!

Anyway, back to hockey...

Best of luck!

Timmy

Guest DoNair
DoNair I said no sweep, there was no sweep.

Yes but when I posted my prediction there was still the potential there. Anyways, Flyers will lose in 5 now. Forsberg's groin will fall apart any time now...

I cheer for them because they are a Canadian team, I like their hustle and I lived in calgary when i was 5 till about 12. It's like cheering for the Leafs.

Like cheering for the Leafs? So you mean everyone else in Canada hates Calgary too?

Just relax, enjoy the playoffs...

Also my friend, my picks are very similar to yours, except in the number of games it will take to close the series. So if I don't know anything about hockey....you can fill in the rest, your'e a smart boy.

I'm relaxed son. You are the one who needs to relax. Is it because you are a DDS and not a real doctor? Btw, I was only kidding around, that is why I inserted the :P icon twice!

You Calgary fans are so uptight; just can't take a joke! :P :p :P :p (I hope it is obvious now that I am joking)

PS: :P

Guest Lurkergonepublic

Calgary fans uptight? I know a lot more flames fans who don't mind cheering for the oilers when necessary than vice versa (myself included). I think it's all the uncomfortable memories of all those past cup wins that now seem long gone...:P

Don't get me wrong, I'll cheer for the oilers or any CDN team who gets that far, and I'm impressed how they've done against Detroit so far. Doesn't it remind you of the flames last year, always counted out at the begining of the series, but then pulling through? (that one'll bug you I'm sure):lol

As for 2004 being a fluke... yes they were underdogs, and it was entirely pulled out of nowhere, but that's the beauty of the playoffs. How many years has the favorite to win actually won? A fluke is unexpectedly winning a round or two, not getting to within 1 overtime goal of the cup (that damn game 6!). There's so much talent spread so much around the NHL these days, that few teams can consistently dominate like they did in the good ol'days. Nor is a division title after a full season of play easily attributed as a fluke to a team that 'sucks.' Let the numbers decide who sucks, and when they suck.

Everyone knows the flames weakness is offense, but goaltending and defense are strong. Yes, they rely too much on Kipper, but if you watched game 3 closely, you'll notice that Kipper didn't have to do to much compared to other games, becuse flames forechecking controlled the puck so much - that's why they actually managed so many goals too, I'd wager. The issue is consistency here as to how far they'll make it...

Most people in Calgary will admit the flames are still not favorites for the cup, despite a good season. Getting past a few rounds will still, as for any team, be considered a good achievement. Still, as in any other city we're going to cheer for them to go all the way, otherwise why bother cheering at all?

Oh, and I know you're poking fun DoNair, and I am too. Consider it my response to ALL the flames flames out there (read that as -team flames - internet flames) :D

Guest TheChosenOneDDS

Lurker, actually last time Tampa was the favorite, they had the best record and won...

NJ and Colorado before that were favorites too...

but since you're a flames fan...GO FLAMES.

Guest mg83

Oh my god, it was the come back of the century. We won, we won, we won. The city is going nuts!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Bye bye Detroit...thanks for coming out....hope you get a good tee time for tomorrow. Holy Cow we did it!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

:rollin :rollin :rollin :rollin :rollin :rollin

Guest TheChosenOneDDS

ok so far i was right about Col, SJ, NJD, Ott, and Buffalo

I was wrong about Carolina (no one saw that coming), Edmonton (good i'm glad).

Flames and Ducks I really hope the fLAMES WIN.

I still think NJD and Ottawa will advance, now that Montreal is out of the picture.

Depending on who plays who, I'm liking Colorado still. And San Jose unless they play each other. I am hoping for battle of Alberta, this is one where I am reserved because it is too hard to predict rivarly games since such series brings the best out of both teams. If Ducks win, then I am rooting for Edmonton and Colorado.

Guest noncestvrai

OMFG, that $ucks!

I'll try not to be too depressed tomorrow when I'm on neuro consults...

I'll use a Leaf's expression..."there's always next year..."

I like New Jersey or Ottawa to win it all.

noncestvrai

Guest silverjelly86

Don Cherry called Carolina winning the series, so I was not surprised. DON'T QUESTION THE AUTHORITY OF THE ALMIGHTY DON!!!

Go Flames.

Archived