Premed 101 Forums

Post-interview scoring

• Replies 62
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I cracked a couple quick ones as well, but they seemed well received, or at least I thought they were lol. There are definitely some interviewers who aren't up for a laugh, you can usually tell at the handshake stage of the conversation. I'm sure your comments were well received, plus it definitely shows that you have an interesting/unique personality. If I was an interviewer I think I would find a little light-heartedness refreshing on such a critical day.

I cracked a couple quick ones as well, but they seemed well received, or at least I thought they were lol. There are definitely some interviewers who aren't up for a laugh, you can usually tell at the handshake stage of the conversation. I'm sure your comments were well received, plus it definitely shows that you have an interesting/unique personality. If I was an interviewer I think I would find a little light-heartedness refreshing on such a critical day.

I agree. It's admirable that you tried to lighten the mood with a joke despite the interviewer being stern and robotic. It's all part of the assessment. Koodos

Well if it makes anyone feel better I was cracking jokes all through my interviews. At one point I answered with "are we sure he wasn't missing his pants?".

Looking back I'm pretty sure I may have shot myself in the foot, but only time will tell.

Saw a guy interview day. He forgot his drink at the table, and then you know how they got you to go use the washroom right before your MMI?

Well, he forgot to zip his pants up.... Ugh.

I felt so bad, but I couldn't just yell from the other side of the room; "Hey buddy, yo buddy, ya, you, flying low... flying low."

Saw a guy interview day. He forgot his drink at the table, and then you know how they got you to go use the washroom right before your MMI?

Well, he forgot to zip his pants up.... Ugh.

I felt so bad, but I couldn't just yell from the other side of the room; "Hey buddy, yo buddy, ya, you, flying low... flying low."

Was this on Saturday Feb 23rd? Because I think there was a guy like that who I saw flying low as well...

• 1 month later...
Does anyone have a clear idea of how they score the MMI? I find the raw scores to be somewhat magical.

Take a look at "Assessment of non-cognitive traits through the admissions multiple mini-interview" by Lemay, et al. 2007, in Medical Education. It answers your question much better than anyone else could.

However, I'm certain they have refined the process over the last 7 years, so the information might not be perfectly current.

Does anyone have a clear idea of how they score the MMI? I find the raw scores to be somewhat magical.

Also, in the applicant stats last year they posted the Raw MMI scores not the Standardized scores used to calculate the final grade. The raw scores were out of 45. Since there are 9 stations it suggests a likert-type scale of 1 to 5 per station. I think Lemay may have said 5 points as well per station but I would have to read that article again myself...so this is speculative.

The score could be out of 50 if each station is out of 50 (i.e. 5 scales, each out of 10) and then you just take the average score over all 9 stations. Also, in the past, UCAN showed people's scores out of 50.

Just curious, but was it out of 50 when they still had the written section? The extra station would explain it... ?

The score could be out of 50 if each station is out of 50 (i.e. 5 scales, each out of 10) and then you just take the average score over all 9 stations. Also, in the past, UCAN showed people's scores out of 50.

Good point, I forgot about how they had a separate calculation for the written part (I'm so glad they removed that section). So an average could also be a possibility.

One other thing however, last year they moved to standardized scoring. They posted the MMI graphs with normalized stats, but they didn't post the standardized scoring on the chart, they used the raw scores instead. I don't believe they would calculate means prior to standardization, so with all the changes last year, it could be a real possibility that the MMI scoring was changed as well.

Archived