Premed 101 Forums

What's On Your Mind?

Robin Hood

Yeah... We've been seeing the impacts of the oil slump here on the Island for a while. A LOT of Islanders depend on the patch for their income and there are many families hurting this year. We've been counting ourselves lucky that my husband left when he did or we'd have been up the creek this year.

Knew it wouldn't be long before we started seeing broader impacts. I know that the oil industry isn't the sole cause of this (I've heard it termed a "mini recession" but I suppose that's only accurate if it ends quickly, and people aren't seeming terribly optimistic) but it feels like it is a major contributing factor.

All in all... it's a good time to be getting into a more stable career.

Part of it - our economy hasn't exactly been zipping along in Ontario for instance for years now - not technically a recession but not booming either.

In theory the radical drops in the value of our dollar will stimulate exports and improve things. From 10 cents above the US dollar to now more than 20 cent below in a relatively short time - that is quite the swing.

• Replies 4.5k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Part of it - our economy hasn't exactly been zipping along in Ontario for instance for years now - not technically a recession but not booming either.

In theory the radical drops in the value of our dollar will stimulate exports and improve things. From 10 cents above the US dollar to now more than 20 cent below in a relatively short time - that is quite the swing.

I'm just going to be very patient and hope we rebound quickly because the Island can only take so much.

Just applied to live in residence on campus. Was having some problems with my current rental and decided that since I'm almost done my degree why not live on campus haha. Although I'm glad the building I applied to has an age restriction of 20 or older, so I'll only be around 3-4 years older than the youngest people in the building. And I applied for a 1 person studio, I don't really want to deal with roommates, although there is the possibility of making new friends that way. But I would just prefer my own place.

Getting my hair cut next week. I am feeling a bit listless lately so I think I might tell my hairdresser to do whatever she feels like.

Make sure you ask them what they are thinking of doing before they start cutting! Just in case it's something that you know you'd dislike. My friend told the hairdresser to do what she feels like and ended up with something extremely unflattering :(

Gotta say, my life is pretty awesome these days. I'm enjoying my time off. I've spent loooots of time at the beach lately. We were at one beach yesterday, our 'home' beach today (I'm there right now, reading a bit between playing frisbee with the dog and collecting stuff with the kids) and my husband and I are going for a bike ride on the confederation trail tomorrow.

I'm seriously going to miss the Island. Our stuff moves in just over two weeks and we leave PEI in three.

post-31726-0-47126800-1436738127_thumb.jpg

Wow that is a really nice beach, looks very pristine.

I decided one day I'm going to drive across the country. Start in Tofino and go to Newfoundland :)

I want to see all of the beautiful places in Canada.

Wow that is a really nice beach, looks very pristine.

I decided one day I'm going to drive across the country. Start in Tofino and go to Newfoundland :)

I want to see all of the beautiful places in Canada.

It's pristine aside from the hundreds of jellyfish at the moment. It's a free "locals" beach five minutes from our house so we practically live here in the summer. Don't need A/C - we have the ocean.

Basin ahead beach (Singing Sands Provincial Park) is one of the most beautiful places on the Island. I recommend stopping there.

It's pristine aside from the hundreds of jellyfish at the moment. It's a free "locals" beach five minutes from our house so we practically live here in the summer. Don't need A/C - we have the ocean.

Basin ahead beach (Singing Sands Provincial Park) is one of the most beautiful places on the Island. I recommend stopping there.

Lots of jellyfish when I visited PEI a few years ago. Locals said it was a "jellyfish year", and they reoccur every 7 or so years. Not sure if they were pulling my leg, haha. But I did love the red sand, and the puddles on the beach when the tide went out that were inhabited by fish, stingrays and hermit crabs.

Make sure you ask them what they are thinking of doing before they start cutting! Just in case it's something that you know you'd dislike. My friend told the hairdresser to do what she feels like and ended up with something extremely unflattering :(

I'm actually thinking I will keep it long enough to still wear it up if I don't like it. It grows fast anyways :).  

That sucks about your friend though. I opted for some unflattering bangs one time right before an important event. I know the pain! 

In my molec II class, the lectures consist of the prof going through experiments. Of the 15-20 experiments he did today, about half of them he got wrong. The details, purpose and conclusions are completely different than the ones in the text. 

=/

Received my welcome letter from the OMA today. It began "Welcome to the Medical Society of Prince Edward Island." I have a feeling I'm going to have to give them a call since I won't be eligible to be a member of the MSPEI until I'm back home, I don't think.

In my molec II class, the lectures consist of the prof going through experiments. Of the 15-20 experiments he did today, about half of them he got wrong. The details, purpose and conclusions are completely different than the ones in the text. 

=/

Oh dear. Any possibility of making note of the differences and approaching him about the differences with a request for clarification in hopes he notices the errors?

Received my welcome letter from the OMA today. It began "Welcome to the Medical Society of Prince Edward Island." I have a feeling I'm going to have to give them a call since I won't be eligible to be a member of the MSPEI until I'm back home, I don't think.

Oh dear. Any possibility of making note of the differences and approaching him about the differences with a request for clarification in hopes he notices the errors?

I've sent him an email. My only real concern is that we don't meet again before the midterm. Usually I do my readings before lecture so that I can use the lecture to clarify things I don't understand, but this prof skips large chunks of the chapters, and doesn't tell us before hand. 

=/

What prof? Surely it can't be bayfield. You must have german reyes 

the OMA welcomed you to the medical society of Prince Edward island? Why would the Ontario association do that? :)

the OMA welcomed you to the medical society of Prince Edward island? Why would the Ontario association do that? :)

I had the very same question. I'm sure the mistake is because it was posted to a PEI address, but they know I'm a Mac student so it's pretty obviously a mixup. I was amused more than anything, though I'll be giving them a call.

Archived