Premed 101 Forums

What's On Your Mind?

Robin Hood

• Replies 4.5k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

To be honest, if you're worried about the snow, I wouldn't necessarily be buying an SUV. Full-time AWD, yes. Good torque (could consider a diesel if you have access to it), yes. But not an SUV. The risk of adverse events as well as severity of an accident can go up since your stopping distance increases greatly with large, heavy cars, and your rollover risk increases greatly as well. Get an AWD car or crossover. Subaru is a great option for an affordable, hardy, reliable vehicle that can stand up to abuse, and their AWD system is great. They have plenty of crossovers/wagons if you're worried about capacity & utility. 

LOL tbh I just want a small car, but my parents are pressuring me to get a big one. My father in particular, since last time he got into an accident which left our small Corolla totalled whilst the big SUV was barely scratched. They seem to think that bigger cars are safer for the driver. Not entirely sure if that is true. Plus a Rav4 is actually cheaper than most Subaru wagons for similar year models/distances travelled.

Getting snow tires for your vehicle in the winter is far more important than the type of car you drive.

I put winter/snow tires on my Honda Fit, and I've never had problems (even driving on the 400 series of highways), even in winter conditions that leave SUVs in the ditch or, worse still, flipped over, if they didn't have snow tires.

They really make a big difference in the winter, and drastically reduce your stopping time / distance.

LOL tbh I just want a small car, but my parents are pressuring me to get a big one. My father in particular, since last time he got into an accident which left our small Corolla totalled whilst the big SUV was barely scratched. They seem to think that bigger cars are safer for the driver. Not entirely sure if that is true. Plus a Rav4 is actually cheaper than most Subaru wagons for similar year models/distances travelled.

For what it's worth, a car that's totalled in an accident means the car did its job. Crumple zones & lightweight materials that absorb the impact. If the car didn't take the brunt of the impact, then it means the materials are too rigid; all that force is transferred to the soft, mushy, mostly water-based passengers inside. Think about vehicles in the past; big, heavy, made of steel and iron bits. Hardy, heavy, nearly impossible to destroy, but even small accidents could be fatal.

Bigger = safer is definitely NOT true. Most modern cars these days are fairly similar to each other in terms of intervehicular crash safety (unless you're up against a tractor trailor or something like that). If your goal is merely to protect yourself, you really should be thinking a lot more about rollover risk and your ability to stop within a safe distance, especially in the winter. Most winter accidents aren't between vehicles but rather solo vehicles sliding off the road, losing control or rolling over.

That said, the Rav4 is not a huge car. It's basically a Corolla (same platform) that has been jacked up a bit. I was under the impression you meant you were going to get a mid-to-full size SUV.

Last week I met a really cute guy at my volunteer place. Since he won't start volunteering until I leave the city for school, this is the only one time we will encounter each other (likely ever). I can tell he was into me but he seems pretty shy. When our shift ended, all of the volunteers left together (4 people including him and I). He originally said he was going to get off at xx station but I said I have to take this other subway train to get home, so he said that he'll take my train too. One girl was like, why are you going that way, it's further for you lol. Anyways, the other volunteers all got off eventually so it was just me and this guy and we had a really good time chatting on the way back. When it was time for me to leave, he asked when he can see me again. Well, I HAD to be awkward like I always am in this kind of situations and said that he can see me if he randomly comes to the volunteering place again  (even though his schedule doesn't start until after I leave!). Ugh....there were a million things I could have said instead of that! I could have said I was hungry and asked him if he wanted to get a sandwich. I could have gave him my number. So typical of me to screw this up. Guys are usually interested until they think I'm not interested. I'm just AWKWARD!

Last week I met a really cute guy at my volunteer place. Since he won't start volunteering until I leave the city for school, this is the only one time we will encounter each other (likely ever). I can tell he was into me but he seems pretty shy. When our shift ended, all of the volunteers left together (4 people including him and I). He originally said he was going to get off at xx station but I said I have to take this other subway train to get home, so he said that he'll take my train too. One girl was like, why are you going that way, it's further for you lol. Anyways, the other volunteers all got off eventually so it was just me and this guy and we had a really good time chatting on the way back. When it was time for me to leave, he asked when he can see me again. Well, I HAD to be awkward like I always am in this kind of situations and said that he can see me if he randomly comes to the volunteering place again  (even though his schedule doesn't start until after I leave!). Ugh....there were a million things I could have said instead of that! I could have said I was hungry and asked him if he wanted to get a sandwich. I could have gave him my number. So typical of me to screw this up. Guys are usually interested until they think I'm not interested. I'm just AWKWARD!

I feel you. One time when I volunteered for this outdoor event, one of the other volunteers came up to me to talk to me and we had a nice chat. At the end of the conversation he asked me for my number. I had just gotten a new cell phone number and didn't know it off the top of my head. My phone was also in my bag which I left in the office so I couldn't just get out my phone and check what my number is. For some reason, instead of explaining this to him and figuring out another way to get in contact later, I panicked and just gave him my best guess of my new number. Needless to say I did not guess correctly and accidentally on purpose gave him a fake number

I wonder how many times people have thought about quitting trying to get into med school. Am I suppose to be determined 24/7? If I sometimes wish I'm just like everyone else who don't want anything more than a decent stable 9-5, does that mean I'm not cut out for this?

(just finished listening to Freaknomics podcast on quitting)

I wonder how many times people have thought about quitting trying to get into med school. Am I suppose to be determined 24/7? If I sometimes wish I'm just like everyone else who don't want anything more than a decent stable 9-5, does that mean I'm not cut out for this?

Plenty. Having moments when you question it all is fine, but if you feel like it isn't worth the effort most of the time then maybe there are other options you could explore. A healthy amount of self-doubt and exhaustion are pretty normal though, which sounds more like what you're talking about.

No harm in exploring your options whatsoever.

I'm not sure how many "decent, stable, 9 to 5" gigs exist outside of health care and government though. If you are longing for a fantasy well paid no stress job, don't bother. If you have something realistic in mind to go for while "giving up" on medicine,why not?

ehh since about 2000 and for the foreseeable future, it's not too difficult to find an IT job for a big firm (50k+ users) with a work load close to Office Space, about 15 minutes a week of real, actual work. Well paid, no stress but ironically requires its own kind of temperament: immunity to boredom.

I love that movie! Like you say, that kind of job would make most people miserable. I guess you can call that "giving up". I just call it trading in one kind of pain for another, but I guess it would be giving up your ambition, lol. 

Also, hope you have AC in your place. Or at least lots of fans. Southern Ontario is in a bad heat wave right now :(

Oh yeah. I'm severely asthmatic and hot weather and I are not friends. A/C was on our 'must have' list.

Out of all the pets, moving with birds ends up being the worst. They get so stressed by it.

My oldest bird - an 18 year old cockatiel - handles it fine. He's done several long distance moves (Ottawa to Edmonton and back, Ottawa to PEI) and he's pretty happy in the travel cage so long as he has his favourite perch. My Quaker seems o be doing okay. She's buckled in right beside me at the moment and was sleeping when I last looked in on her. The finches and canaries (who are in tiny travel cages) just looked ticked off. The cats actually seem to take it the worst.

After all the times I've (halfheartedly) defended megabus, they've finally fully screwed me over. They abandoned me (& not my luggage) in Kingston on the way to Toronto overnight when I went to go get water at Tim H's (Shelter was closed). Said they'd stop for 6-7 minutes. I timed 5, and bus was gone. Don't know why I tried talking to their employees/Customer service, because I should have known everyone would be on their high horse about how "Every driver specifically says NOT to go to Tim Horton's". WELL, my driver didn't (or I went temporarily deaf since the customer service person seemed to be absolutely sure all drivers always do). Sorry. My last megabus ride (other than my return trip). Hope I'll get to Toronto within the next 10 hours or so.

Can't decide about how this ranks amidst 1) the time they had 5 people sit on the floor of the aisle on an overbooked coach that was supposed to have been a double decker, 2) the time they said we were stopping to change buses due to a mechanical issue, only to have a new driver climb on and announce it was her first time driving, or 3) the time nearby passengers and I had to fashion a working seat from a broken seat back and the seatbelt from the seat ahead of me.

sorry for the lame rant. life could be a lot worse

:(

My oldest bird - an 18 year old cockatiel - handles it fine. He's done several long distance moves (Ottawa to Edmonton and back, Ottawa to PEI) and he's pretty happy in the travel cage so long as he has his favourite perch. My Quaker seems o be doing okay. She's buckled in right beside me at the moment and was sleeping when I last looked in on her. The finches and canaries (who are in tiny travel cages) just looked ticked off. The cats actually seem to take it the worst.

Oh haha...I assumed you were flying. Chilling out in a car beats being holed up in the dark cargo bay of a large aircraft any day.

Oh haha...I assumed you were flying. Chilling out in a car beats being holed up in the dark cargo bay of a large aircraft any day.

The last time I flew with a bird, he - my old cockatiel, who is currently by my feet in the truck cab - got to fly in the cabin with me as my carry-on. That was 15 years ago and I don't think they allow it anymore but it was funny how many people kept asking what that noise was, hah.

That sucks so much man. Are you waiting around till the next bus? I swear some of the drivers relish doing this.

I've tried to stall them and wont make that sprint to timmies despite my double double addiction unless I'm traveling with a persuasive friend..

Nah I got a ride share. can't stomach getting back on a megabus yet. They're so inconsistent with that Timmy's rule...sometimes I swear they explicitly state you're allowed to go...and usually a "X- minute stop" takes X+5 minutes. Ride share dude is nice though and the addition of myself as a passenger lets him take HOV.

Archived