Premed 101 Forums

What's On Your Mind?

Robin Hood

I keep going back and forth between panicking and feeling ok about the MCAT.

was just on SDN and now I'm freaking out again. I write on the 21st but maybe I should give up a couple hundred bucks and try to get a spot in September??

But then I'm afraid I won't have the stamina to keep pushing myself for another month plus I need time to work on my OMSAS application.

why is life so hard????!!

• Replies 4.5k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I too am freaking out about the MCAT and the application process in general. I just found out I effed up my GPA calculation so it's lower than I thought (no issues with cutoff for where I'm applying, but still sucks). I don't think my ECs will be enough for my application. Also freaking out because I have a thousand things to do... my regular job can't time anything so I have 4 major projects all happening together (I'm a writer, which I know is the answer that pretentious unemployed hipsters like to give when asked about their career... it's a ridiculous job to have but it actually is my job), I just had to pick up another research job contract, my thesis supervisor left me to look after all his plants and I am DESPERATELY TRYING NOT TO KILL THEM (seriously, the man grows orchids and rare other plants that are easy to kill - and hard to replace... not to mention he has a MASSIVE passionfruit plant that actually grows passionfruit... but only if you artificially pollinate it, which I was left in charge of but I think I screwed it up because none of the flowers that I pollinated turned into fruit), I can't seem to recruit anyone to participate in my thesis research, I desperately just want to graduate and in general I am a GIANT BALL OF ANXIETY AND STRESS. BLAAAAAAARRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRGGGGGGGGGGG!!!!!! Ahem. I'm cool. I'm cool.

Am I the only one that was trying to avoid telling a lot of people I was applying? I would rather fail quietly... but my partner decided to tell everyone and their dog that I was applying. So now everyone is acting like I'm going to medical school. He doesn't seem to get that I have a snowball's chance of getting in and that I'd rather not have to announce to every human being on the planet that I didn't get in. I kinda wish I just hadn't mentioned it at all to anyone  -_- but "hey I'm applying to medical school" seemed like something a normal person should tell their spouse. 

^^^First world problems, all of this, I know. But where do first world problems belong if not in a thread marked "What's on your mind?"  :D

I'd rather fail quietly too. During the first year of my second degree I told no one. I tried to hide the fact that I am taking the MCAT from people at work, but people kept asking what I do with my time when I'm not at work....anyway, I feel uncomfortable about telling people because I'm afraid that they will judge me and think I'm too stupid to make it in. Last week my preceptor at work asked the physician if she has any MCAT tips for me. She meant well but I was super awkward about it.

It's getting harder and harder to hide things, especially now that I am working on my application and will start to contact verifiers, etc. *cringe*

I'd rather fail quietly too. During the first year of my second degree I told no one. I tried to hide the fact that I am taking the MCAT from people at work, but people kept asking what I do with my time when I'm not at work....anyway, I feel uncomfortable about telling people because I'm afraid that they will judge me and think I'm too stupid to make it in. Last week my preceptor at work asked the physician if she has any MCAT tips for me. She meant well but I was super awkward about it.

It's getting harder and harder to hide things, especially now that I am working on my application and will start to contact verifiers, etc. *cringe*

I'm sure everyone can relate to that feeling, especially when contacting verifiers lol. Do your best to accept the feeling and focus on the positive and what you want. It's all we can do!

Spent the afternoon in Ottawa. We're just swinging by Barrhaven to see my old house before we leave. Took the kids to Sparks Street and the National War Memorial. Had Beavertails and chip truck poutine and enjoyed the sights and sounds of Ottawa. I think I could still make my way around with my eyes closed. It all came back to me as soon as we saw the St Laurent mall.

Of everywhere I've lived, Ottawa is second only to PEI.

Spent the afternoon in Ottawa. We're just swinging by Barrhaven to see my old house before we leave. Took the kids to Sparks Street and the National War Memorial. Had Beavertails and chip truck poutine and enjoyed the sights and sounds of Ottawa. I think I could still make my way around with my eyes closed. It all came back to me as soon as we saw the St Laurent mall.

glad you enjoyed the day!

final leg of the trip

I love these. 

I love these.

Who doesn't? I remember getting them as a kid. My kids loved them. We have our dog with us and she was cuddling everyone she could while we were in line and a few people gave her pieces.

glad you enjoyed the day!

final leg of the trip

Yup. Almost done the actual move part. Planning lots of sightseeing and some shorter road trips over the next few weeks before school starts. Hitting Ottawa today was a last minute side trip.

Who doesn't? I remember getting them as a kid. My kids loved them. We have our dog with us and she was cuddling everyone she could while we were in line and a few people gave her pieces.

Yup. Almost done the actual move part. Planning lots of sightseeing and some shorter road trips over the next few weeks before school starts. Hitting Ottawa today was a last minute side trip.

You guys should check out the CNE. I used to love that as a kid. There are a lot of really nice parks in the Ancaster/Hamilton area that are worth checking out. 

How does one go about increasing their membership level? I'm still considered a junior member, but some/most of my stats are higher than some higher ups. :P Just curious, doesn't actually matter all that much. I know I've been really inactive lately due to preparing for the MCAT, which I wrote yesterday. :P

Anyway, I hope everyone has been doing well during my absence! :)

How does one go about increasing their membership level? I'm still considered a junior member, but some/most of my stats are higher than some higher ups. :P Just curious, doesn't actually matter all that much. I know I've been really inactive lately due to preparing for the MCAT, which I wrote yesterday. :P

Congrats! Hope you get the score you wanted.  :)

How did you find it?

Congrats! Hope you get the score you wanted.  :)

How did you find it?

Thanks!  :D

I don't expect to get a competitive score because I wrote it as a diagnostic this time without studying too much, however, I think I'll get an average score, which is what I was aiming for anyway. :P Only thing I'm a little bummed about is that I did really well on the CARS section of the practice test (by my standards, at least), but found the actual exam tripped me up a little, so I probably won't do as well on that section as I had hoped.

Overall, it wasn't that bad in my opinion. I plan on rewriting next year and I now have a pretty good idea of how I need to prepare. I think I already have all/a majority of the "skills" that the MCAT requires but I'm missing the fine tuned knowledge base that's required - so basically, I need to study and I should be fine.  :rolleyes:

I went to Shakespeare in High Park last night and it was great. I highly recommend.

I was thinking maybe I should read the play (Julius Caesar) beforehand, because I read it in high school and forgot everything since then. I'm glad I didn't because if you pay close attention, you won't miss what is going on, and it was more interesting hearing it as if it were the first time. :)

I went to Shakespeare in High Park last night and it was great. I highly recommend.

I was thinking maybe I should read the play (Julius Caesar) beforehand, because I read it in high school and forgot everything since then. I'm glad I didn't because if you pay close attention, you won't miss what is going on, and it was more interesting hearing it as if it were the first time. :)

Ugh. I'm so jealous. I wanted to go to that! Too bad I have strep throat at the moment :( 

Ugh. I'm so jealous. I wanted to go to that! Too bad I have strep throat at the moment :(

You didn't miss it. :)

It's on 6 nights a week until Sept. 6. You have 4 weeks left! It alternates between Julius Caesar and The Comedy of Errors. https://www.canadianstage.com/Online/default.asp?BOparam::WScontent::loadArticle::permalink=shakespeare

So yesterday my grandfather was complaining about feeling very cold. I checked his temperature and he had a 40 degree fever, so I took him to the hospital (he's 87, and that seemed very high). Yesterday the doctor said he had a kidney infection, and today she said that he likely has sepsis. I'm not quite sure how to react. Sepsis sounds very bad at his age, and along with my grandmother (who passed away a couple years ago), my grandfather basically raised me. 

So yesterday my grandfather was complaining about feeling very cold. I checked his temperature and he had a 40 degree fever, so I took him to the hospital (he's 87, and that seemed very high). Yesterday the doctor said he had a kidney infection, and today she said that he likely has sepsis. I'm not quite sure how to react. Sepsis sounds very bad at his age, and along with my grandmother (who passed away a couple years ago), my grandfather basically raised me. 

gah! at least he is getting proper care thanks to you

not sure, I thought it was just the number of posts(?)

now I am curious.

Archived