Premed 101 Forums

What's On Your Mind?

Robin Hood

• Replies 4.5k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

In US where guns are easier to buy than a bottle of milk and where they have a love affair with guns, strange things like this (where even more are killed) are the norm. Sick but true.

the idea of freedom to have everyone armed assumes that everyone is responsible and sane. The trouble is that well that is simply not true. 

Ugh. I have a trial coming up and the lawyer on the other side is dumb as a post.

Even though getting into law school is not as hard as med, I generally like the LSAT for setting a minimum standard of logic, reasoning, reading comprehension, and problem solving skills. It means that the person that you have to deal with on the other side will at least be able to understand what you are saying, etc.

I am starting to wonder if this guy had someone write the test for him. It's like trying to argue with Donald Trump. :(

the idea of freedom have everyone armed assumes that everyone is responsible and sane. The trouble is that well that is simply not true. 

The NRA is an extremely strong lobby group in US, they can make Senators & Members of the Lower House lose their seats. As a result, responsible gun control in US won't happen regardless of the massacres that routinely occur within US society.

Their most important purpose and objective is to protect the right to keep and bear arms.

Many lawyers who earn big bucks, e.g., partners at top firms, are incompetent. :mad:

Being competent in any profession is actually not all that easy. There are plenty of incompetent professionals at all levels in all professions. 

That's why it's a huge compliment to be called a "good [insert profession]". And being called a "great [insert profession]" is pretty much epic.

But ya, this guy is falling far below any of those standards. Even most incompetent professionals can understand my emails, right?

Critical thinking skills and problem solving is missing in too many lawyers. I know of lawyers who earn a fortune b/c they take cases to court that should have been settled, lose, convenience the client to appeal, lose, etc. A costly exercise for the client who pays his lawyer fees plus the costs of the other side. The client retains confidence in the lawyer who is great at P.R. but not at law. :( 

Incompetent lawyers cannot necessarily understand what is obvious to others. 

Critical thinking skills and problem solving is missing in too many lawyers. I know of lawyers who earn a fortune b/c they take cases to court that should have been settled, lose, convenience the client to appeal, lose, etc. A costly exercise for the client who pays his lawyer fees plus the costs of the other side. The client retains confidence in the lawyer who is great at P.R. but not at law. :(

Incompetent lawyers cannot necessarily understand what is obvious to others.

Yes that's a thing unfortunately. I'm sorry to hear that you have experienced it.

:( it's hard and I'm sorry you're going through a rough time.

Thanks. I would say it'll get better with time, but it's already been a couple months so I'm not sure if it'll get any better than this.

Found this article, not sure what to think of it? Can people who wrote/prepared for the MCAT chime in?  

http://www.premedlife.com/feature-articles/3-techniques-to-drive-up-your-mcat-critical-analysis-and-reasoning-skills-score-3908/

*First day* of medical school (excluding O week) and I had to bring my kids with me. Literally day one of me in medical school was yesterday my husband had a medical emergency and since we don't have an emergency/last minute sitter yet, I ended up bringing the kids to my evening small group session. (Husband is okay now, though still quite ill.)

Hoping we make friends here soon so stuff like this is easier to manage. 

On the plus side, my kids have now had more medical education than a significant part of the population of this site, hah. 

Thanks. I would say it'll get better with time, but it's already been a couple months so I'm not sure if it'll get any better than this.

Found this article, not sure what to think of it? Can people who wrote/prepared for the MCAT chime in?  

http://www.premedlife.com/feature-articles/3-techniques-to-drive-up-your-mcat-critical-analysis-and-reasoning-skills-score-3908/

There may always be some emotional soreness about the breakup. Time doesn't necessarily heal all wounds despite the common saying.

As to that article, I agree with it. Read fast and retain well and be used to complex reading. Part of how I prepared was reading stuff I don't typically enjoy so as to force myself to be more used to retaining things I don't find interesting. It was helpful. 

I want to be your friend Birdy! I don't live in Hamilton though so I would not be the best for emergency baby-sitting. I am glad your husband is okay. :)

Re: breakups. Sounds like you broke it off canucks? If you have changed your mind (and you are certain), I recommend a grand romantic gesture. Everyone loves those. It might sound like I am kidding, but I am very serious.

What is on my mind is editing. I end up with a lot of people asking me to edit their writing. About 5 years ago, I would warn people that I was a "ruthless editor". As I get better myself, I have gotten even worse. Now I just re-write the shit out of whatever is sent to me. I feel like I am becoming a bit of a monster on one hand. On the other hand, people keep sending me their stuff and asking me to edit it. I don't know. It always feels weird to totally re write someone's work, even if they are happy about it. 

The comment about bringing your kids might have been the smoking gun

That or the photos of me on the blog linked to in my signature. I'm not at all anonymous and never intended to be but I'm still somewhat gobsmacked by it whenever it happens.

Also, I am *never* bringing my kids again. It was unprofessional but I am thankful that my tutor was so welcoming.

That or the photos of me on the blog linked to in my signature. I'm not at all anonymous and never intended to be but I'm still somewhat gobsmacked by it whenever it happens.

Also, I am *never* bringing my kids again. It was unprofessional but I am thankful that my tutor was so welcoming.

Disagree. It is not unprofessional to do what you need to do to get things done.

I read "Lean In" recently. It is a great summary about the research done recently about women in the workplace. It is also, very unintentionally, a feminist manifesto. 

Archived