Premed 101 Forums

What's On Your Mind?

Robin Hood

• Replies 4.5k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Today I learnt that some Canadian provinces don't require a coroner to be a doctor. Same with the US. An online source states that many coroners aren't doctors. Some are cops or funeral home directors. Not surprisingly, the National Academy of Sciences called for all states to move away from the coroner system and to make medical training a mandatory aspect.

Wiki says that in Canadian provinces not requiring medical training, coroners "generally" come from legal, medical, or investigative backgrounds. But in my jurisdiction there is a job opening for a coroner and it pays like 30 bucks an hour. That is honestly not enough money for such an important job.

Honestly what a joke. If a loved one is found dead on this continent there's a chance a cop or funeral home director could be determining anatomical or pathological cause of death?? How does this make any sense?? Even if most are doctors, the fact that medical training isn't mandatory is obsurd. Why even leave it up in the air then? I highly doubt all the board certified forensic pathologists are lining up to to get paid 30 bucks an hour (60k a year) like in my jurisdiction. End rant.

Today I learnt that some Canadian provinces don't require a coroner to be a doctor. Same with the US. An online source states that many coroners aren't doctors. Some are cops or funeral home directors. Not surprisingly, the National Academy of Sciences called for all states to move away from the coroner system and to make medical training a mandatory aspect.

Wiki says that in Canadian provinces not requiring medical training, coroners "generally" come from legal, medical, or investigative backgrounds. But in my jurisdiction there is a job opening for a coroner and it pays like 30 bucks an hour. That is honestly not enough money for such an important job.

Honestly what a joke. If a loved one is found dead on this continent there's a chance a cop or funeral home director could be determining anatomical or pathological cause of death?? How does this make any sense?? Even if most are doctors, the fact that medical training isn't mandatory is obsurd. Why even leave it up in the air then? I highly doubt all the board certified forensic pathologists are lining up to to get paid 30 bucks an hour (60k a year) like in my jurisdiction. End rant.

A coroner doesn't really require specialized medical knowledge. Anatomical/pathological cause of death is determined by a pathologist. The coroner coordinates investigations and writes up a paper documenting everything. My preceptor did it on the side, you can make good money by signing all the death certificates.

A coroner doesn't really require specialized medical knowledge. Anatomical/pathological cause of death is determined by a pathologist. The coroner coordinates investigations and writes up a paper documenting everything. My preceptor did it on the side, you can make good money by signing all the death certificates.

So you're saying a coroner does not determine cause of death? Not directly at least and just coordinates the investigation. News to me because I'm pretty sure every lay person in the country thinks a coroner is the doctor who examines the body.

In your area is there a separate fee paid for isgning a death certificate? Cause like I said the job I saw was paid hourly so not sure how you would make a lot of money on a 30 dollar an hour basis?

Today I finally realized that I shouldn't feel guilty for doing things that make me happy just because my parents told me not to or disapproved of them... I always thought I was fairly independent but never realized how much of an impact they had on me in this regard.

So you're saying a coroner does not determine cause of death? Not directly at least and just coordinates the investigation. News to me because I'm pretty sure every lay person in the country thinks a coroner is the doctor who examines the body.

In your area is there a separate fee paid for isgning a death certificate? Cause like I said the job I saw was paid hourly so not sure how you would make a lot of money on a 30 dollar an hour basis?

Yes I had the same impression as well and was surprised this is not to find the case.

I am not fully confident in my answer about the remuneration, but my understanding is that coordinating the investigations doesn't pay well, but being able to sign for death certificates made it worthwhile.

I moved out of my rented condo in downtown Toronto in May. Bought a townhouse.

I knew I was diving into the deep end re: responsibilities and expenses (bills, bills, bills, bills) but sometimes it just really piles up and I feel the weight of adulthood on me. That coupled with me now driving a car, practicing dentistry and a whole host of other types of insurances popping in and good lord, real life is expensive.

Sometimes I want to go back to student life, scraping by, renting and rooming. Not as luxurious, but far, far simpler.

I knew I was diving into the deep end re: responsibilities and expenses (bills, bills, bills, bills) but sometimes it just really piles up and I feel the weight of adulthood on me. That coupled with me now driving a car, practicing dentistry and a whole host of other types of insurances popping in and good lord, real life is expensive.

Sometimes I want to go back to student life, scraping by, renting and rooming. Not as luxurious, but far, far simpler.

Ha, almost sounds like you are an "adult" now!

not quite sure sometimes why people are rushing off mentally to the final steps in some of this :) The stuff in the middle is often much more interesting. 

Wait until you have kids (if you intend to. Don't want to assume...)

Daycare is basically a mortgage. 

You're late for 1 minute? Pay a $1! Ridiculous...

trouble is if it isn't ridiculous then people would be late all the time. Even a dollar per minute - or 60 an hour - they aren't aren't really coming out that far ahead (probably base pay plus some form of overtime, blah, blah). 

we really do need a better national system for day care. 

trouble is if it isn't ridiculous then people would be late all the time. Even a dollar per minute - or 60 an hour - they aren't aren't really coming out that far ahead (probably base pay plus some form of overtime, blah, blah). 

we really do need a better national system for day care. 

We really do. Finding care for kids under 18mos is nigh impossible and under 2 is very hard. I've known people who've had to delay their return to work because they couldn't find a space by the end of their 1 year maternity leave, despite having put their child on waitlists while still in utero. 

Ha, almost sounds like you are an "adult" now!

not quite sure sometimes why people are rushing off mentally to the final steps in some of this :) The stuff in the middle is often much more interesting. 

Haha, it's an investment property; I don't plan on staying here forever. I'm a single guy and 4 bedrooms for me is a bit... much. I'm basically just furnishing it as a one bedroom condo and living pretty simply otherwise.

Wait until you have kids (if you intend to. Don't want to assume...)

Daycare is basically a mortgage. 

Been giving this a lot of thought lately. Playing with my niece melts my heart and makes me want kids. On the other hand, I only see the good side, being the uncle; I just go in, spoil her, play with her, and leave until next time.

I know if I have kids it won't be until much later--I'm a late bloomer in that way and am eager to stretch out my youth.

Sometimes I think it is a good think that I can't have children (severe stage 4 endometriosis and I've basically been told it would be a miracle if I could ever conceive and carry a child to term). Then again, people with children have told me I'll regret not having children when I'm elderly. *shug*. I've worked with enough seniors to know that having children doesn't guarantee they'll be there when you are old and grey.

I'm worried that I may be experiencing burnout in fourth year. I went from finishing third year, to taking a spring course and starting two new jobs, to studying for and writing the MCAT, to fourth year. I expected this year to be more relaxed, but my thesis has been more demanding than I expected it to be, and this semester was very stressful and busy. Studying for my last couple midterms and now finals, I've felt really tired and worn out. It's been hard to focus on studying. What's scaring me is that I did not do well (to my personal goals) on my last two exams. I would love to take the Christmas break to relax, but I will need to work on data analysis and manuscript writing before classes start again. I also wanted to start some interview prep in case I receive any interview invites. I'm nervous that this feeling of being worn out will continue into next semester, and will negatively affect my grades.

Has this happened to any of you? If so, how did you deal with it?

Sometimes I think it is a good think that I can't have children (severe stage 4 endometriosis and I've basically been told it would be a miracle if I could ever conceive and carry a child to term). Then again, people with children have told me I'll regret not having children when I'm elderly. *shug*. I've worked with enough seniors to know that having children doesn't guarantee they'll be there when you are old and grey.

Sucks that you have the option of carrying your own biological children most likely unavailable to you (endo can be awful. I'm sorry you're dealing with it) but I'm sure if the desire to have children struck you, you'd find a way to build a family since there are other options. I think it's pretty telling of how you actually feel about having kids if you view probable infertility with relief or as an acceptable 'out' to a social expectation. If you really want kids, you'll find a way around it. I've definitely known elderly people who haven't regretted not having children. Some people also regret having children just because they were expected to. If you someday want to, you'll find a way. But don't have kids just because you'll be old someday and want someone to take care of you.

Archived