Premed 101 Forums

What's On Your Mind?

Robin Hood

16 hours ago, Mithril said:

Sure, but much more expensive to fix on a luxury car.

Sounds like something that has to be accepted as part of the purchase. Though really your ongoing costs with a Tesla, even with the door being keyed, should be minimal compared to my dinosaur-bone-burning-bygone-era-fart-mobile. I spend $500 a month on gas alone.

• Replies 4.5k
  • Created
  • Last Reply
4 hours ago, Kiki-Mora said:

waiting for rejection.

we need a better way of handling all of that. I still think it should be a carms like system where you basically find out everything immediately on the match day. You can design a system that almost completely eliminates down to a single event. Only thing that isn't so simple is the people accepted but completely withdraw (rare) and people that match out of province as well as in province 

I'm really looking forward my conference trip this week :D. Should be a really nice drive, I'll finally get to meet the people I've been doing long-distance collaborations with, and I'll have time to do fun things with friends, and do a little shopping too.

Most importantly, should be a good distraction from this waitlist shenanigans. 

• 2 weeks later...
On 5/21/2018 at 9:06 PM, Egg_McMuffin said:

I'm really looking forward my conference trip this week :D. Should be a really nice drive, I'll finally get to meet the people I've been doing long-distance collaborations with, and I'll have time to do fun things with friends, and do a little shopping too.

Most importantly, should be a good distraction from this waitlist shenanigans. 

so out of curiosity what does a registered dietitian think about egg mcmuffins? :) 

On 6/1/2018 at 10:52 AM, rmorelan said:

so out of curiosity what does a registered dietitian think about egg mcmuffins? :) 

Ha. Well I mean I eat them occasionally....it's all about moderation, right? ;)

It's definitely not the worst thing in the world. Even the sausage one has just 430kcal, 25g fat, 20g protein, and 850mg sodium- that's 1/3 to 1/2 compared to ordering a burger at, say, Boston Pizza.

I always ask for no margarine on the English muffins, and get it with ham instead of sausage to cut the fat and salt down. 

It honestly feels like the last couple of days has been a fantasy dream of some sort. I still can't believe it. =']

I know they say that all your problems don't just go away with an acceptance...but for me it honestly feels like that's been the case lol. Damn, I just feel so....blessed.

1 hour ago, Egg_McMuffin said:

It honestly feels like the last couple of days has been a fantasy dream of some sort. I still can't believe it. =']

I know they say that all your problems don't just go away with an acceptance...but for me it honestly feels like that's been the case lol. Damn, I just feel so....blessed.

Enjoy the feeling :) I was the same way, I couldn't sleep right for days as I still had too much excitement from the news lol. 

Only that couldn't last for me once I realized I still need to pass one more hurdle before I get to enjoy a carefree summer. Hopefully the dreamy feeling rebounds once the killjoy of this thesis is removed 

2 hours ago, Egg_McMuffin said:

......who says all your problems don't just go away? 

(just kidding ha)

I mean a huge burden of uncertainty is lifted, and get a clear direction to move it. There are new hurtles to come of course but now is the time to take it all in and go enjoy the universe. 

13 minutes ago, Eudaimonia said:

Enjoy the feeling :) I was the same way, I couldn't sleep right for days as I still had too much excitement from the news lol. 

Only that couldn't last for me once I realized I still need to pass one more hurdle before I get to enjoy a carefree summer. Hopefully the dreamy feeling rebounds once the killjoy of this thesis is removed 

It will ha. Just make sure you line up some relaxing fun things to do this summer. 

14 hours ago, Eudaimonia said:

Yeah, totally, about the sleep thing LOL.

Hang in there- you're almost done!!! I'm sure you'll get to enjoy that feeling again soon.

• 1 month later...
  • 3 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...
On 6/2/2018 at 5:06 PM, Egg_McMuffin said:

Oh congratulations! I am so so happy for you!

Selfishly, I love hearing when people are accepted into Med School. Makes the whole thing seem so much more attainable every time I hear of a new student getting in. 

Someone very close to me failed out of a Canadian dental school over one practical. The school didn't let this person back in and I honestly don't know what to say to help. I'm posting this on the persons behalf since they're too embarrassed to accept what happened, especially since they did well in the other courses and had everything going for them. They feel lost and don't know what to do next with life. Whats the best way to help someone get through something like this? 

I guess to be there emotionally for this person as he/she adjusts to the reality of the situation while grappling emotionally and psychologically with it. This person needs to regroup and move on with life, with your support validating his/her worth, demonstrating care and respect. We are all suited for more than one profession and circumstances, opporuntity and luck, good and bad, influence the outcome. This person will. Ounce back and is fortunate to have you in his/her corner. 

On ‎9‎/‎29‎/‎2018 at 12:22 PM, Zaeden said:

Someone very close to me failed out of a Canadian dental school over one practical. The school didn't let this person back in and I honestly don't know what to say to help. I'm posting this on the persons behalf since they're too embarrassed to accept what happened, especially since they did well in the other courses and had everything going for them. They feel lost and don't know what to do next with life. Whats the best way to help someone get through something like this? 

I'm not a dentist or dental student, but it feels like there's more to this story than being told. There should have been an opportunity for remediation (unless that was failed too). Hope it works out.

• 1 month later...
On 9/29/2018 at 12:22 PM, Zaeden said:

Dental schools do not want students to fail out. It is very difficult to do so unless there is some catastrophic issue or the student decides to leave. 

There's certainly more to the story, and I think you might want to get those details as part of helping your friend deal with it.

• 4 weeks later...
  • 4 weeks later...

Archived