Premed 101 Forums

What's On Your Mind?

Robin Hood

Sure! - it won't hurt you at other schools of course as well either. I have lost track - what year are you at now?

Just second. I was thinking of applying to Alberta this year which is part of why I wrote early (also can only afford to write once a year and wanted two chances prior to applying to the 4 Ontario schools) but I couldn't make the prerequisites work. Biochem and organic chem 2 are at the same time with only one session offered, and I'd have needed both. Plus Alberta is the only school I'll apply to that requires a full year of organic, so I decided not to apply there.

• Replies 4.5k
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Just second. I was thinking of applying to Alberta this year which is part of why I wrote early (also can only afford to write once a year and wanted two chances prior to applying to the 4 Ontario schools) but I couldn't make the prerequisites work. Biochem and organic chem 2 are at the same time with only one session offered, and I'd have needed both. Plus Alberta is the only school I'll apply to that requires a full year of organic, so I decided not to apply there.

Makes sense! That score then is even more impressive considering you wrote prior to actually doing all the chemistry then

Makes sense! That score then is even more impressive considering you wrote prior to actually doing all the chemistry then

Thank you. I've always been effective at studying on my own. It's certainly a skill that has come in handy in university.

I have gone back and forth on the possibility of applying to Alberta. I *could* self study and challenge for the biochem credit if I got a prerequisite exemption, since I'm rather strong in biochemistry already. But it seems like an excessive amount of work for a tiny shot at one school, and carries the risk of my grades dropping due to overload.

Plus I hated living in Edmonton and my husband is pretty sure he never wants to step foot in Alberta again, so there's that haha.

Thank you. I've always been effective at studying on my own. It's certainly a skill that has come in handy in university.

I have gone back and forth on the possibility of applying to Alberta. I *could* self study and challenge for the biochem credit if I got a prerequisite exemption, since I'm rather strong in biochemistry already. But it seems like an excessive amount of work for a tiny shot at one school, and carries the risk of my grades dropping due to overload.

Plus I hated living in Edmonton and my husband is pretty sure he never wants to step foot in Alberta again, so there's that haha.

you obviously have family pressure that would encourage you to get into medical school sooner rather than later - but I agree with you, it probably would be unwise to risk getting a lower overall GPA just to appeal to a single school :) Particularly now since you are on track to be more globally competitive.

I was checking MCAT THx on my phone all day. Kept refreshing it. As I was in the elevator on my way out of work, my score came through.

11 PS

10 BS

13 VR!!!!

So. Freaking. Excited. Not thrilled about the 10 in BS, but it won't hold me back and it is a score that is balanced enough that I don't need to rewrite next year as it meets all cutoffs. I was bouncing from excitement and my coworkers were really happy too.

Wow, Birdy! 13 in VR?! You're a force to be reckoned with!

This is your first attempt right?

Tell me something new. ;)

That I may consider switching provinces if the PQ continues like this.

Heck, even Maria Mourani, who is so implicated in the independentist movement and who received awards from them (list Patriot of the Year 2012) is reconsidering it's implication with the independentist movement (not just the Bloc).

I am in hospitals where there are only French speaking patients. I would love to contribute to society right here, and lived almost my entire life in Quebec, but they educate me and then work hard to make me feel unwelcome. Not exactly an atmosphere in which I wish to raise my future children. In the 1970s, there was a huge exodus, including physicians, to Ontario. It seems history is going to repeat itself. And it is so unnecessary. For sure, Quebec does not win.

That I may consider switching provinces if the PQ continues like this.

Heck, even Maria Mourani, who is so implicated in the independentist movement and who received awards from them (list Patriot of the Year 2012) is reconsidering it's implication with the independentist movement (not just the Bloc).

what happened ? something new ? i haven't watch tv or read a newspaper in the last 2 weeks so i have no idea what's going on over there.

(ughh, i hate the PQ so much. -.- )

I am in hospitals where there are only French speaking patients. I would love to contribute to society right here, and lived almost my entire life in Quebec, but they educate me and then work hard to make me feel unwelcome. Not exactly an atmosphere in which I wish to raise my future children. In the 1970s, there was a huge exodus, including physicians, to Ontario. It seems history is going to repeat itself. And it is so unnecessary. For sure, Quebec does not win.

Do you not owe the people of Quebec for HIGHLY subsidizing your education?

What people is that? Quebec is no longer the same as it once was. To bring up my future children in the society it is becoming compared to bringing them up in normal alternatives in other parts of Canada is a relatively easy decision to make, no matter how heartbreaking it is. Quebec is deliberately pushing people out.

What people is that? Quebec is no longer the same as it once was. To bring up my future children in the society it is becoming compared to bringing them up in normal alternatives in other parts of Canada is a relatively easy decision to make, no matter how heartbreaking it is. Quebec is deliberately pushing people out.

people being tax payers. You enter into an unwritten contract with tax payers, they're assuming by paying taxes that their money will go into funding the education of engineers,nurses,physicians etc. In my opinion you do have a debt to the taxpayers, who shoulder the majority of the cost of your education.

people being tax payers. You enter into an unwritten contract with tax payers, they're assuming by paying taxes that their money will go into funding the education of engineers,nurses,physicians etc. In my opinion you do have a debt to the taxpayers, who shoulder the majority of the cost of your education.

I'll be training outside my province (it is impossible to pursue my education here, as we don't have a medical school.) Many, many physicians do not train in the province in which they eventually practice, and to suggest one has a moral obligation to remain in the province in which they trained seems unnecessarily harsh.

I really find that term "taxpayers" over used - I mean it should just be the same as citizens :)

Quebec's government also has obligations as well to maintain and support the social structures that promote good society. It starts messing with those and people shouldn't be unwaveringly bound to their remain there either. It's a two way street.

I really find that term "taxpayers" over used - I mean it should just be the same as citizens :)

Quebec's government also has obligations as well to maintain and support the social structures that promote good society. It starts messing with those and people shouldn't be unwaveringly bound to their remain there either. It's a two way street.

Precisely! Quebec is going out of its way to tinker with society in an extremely unwholesome, indecent, unfair and uncomfortable manner - and there is no way as a practical manner that I intend to participate in such a society. Of course, the Parti Quebecois may be thrown out of power. I have no control over this. But I do have autonomy, free will and, if need be, I shall vote with my feet.

There are other jurisdictions abroad that give scholarships to their very brightest so they can study abroad, then return home and contribute to society. It is a condition of the scholarship that the recipient must work within the jurisdiction for 5 years within ten years of graduation, failing which the scholarship must be reimbursed in full, with interest. It is like a Return of Service Contract.

Any so-called moral obligation I might have had to Quebec no longer exists once the government changes significantly Society whereby minorities are treated differently. This happened in Uganda, in Nazi Germany, in Rwanda, in Syria, in other countries and Quebec is on a very slippery slope that only goes downhill.

In the 1970s there was a brain drain with a mass exodus of Anglos. Subsequently, many remaining Anglos encouraged their children, upon completion of their education, to leave the province and establish their families and futures elsewhere, either in Canada or USA. I know countless Montreal grandparents who visit their children and grandchildren in say, B.C. And California. I do not intend to be such a person, and if necessary, before establishing my practice and my own family, I will leave Quebec.

There is still time and I have a few years to make my decision, but if I want to practice and raise my family in North Korea or in Quebec with troubled societies lacking in freedom, I will do so. However, if Quebec continues on this dangerous course, I will leave.

I am only the tip of the iceberg! I am saying what others are thinking. There are hundreds or thousands like me who are remaining silent, thinking like I do. Many intend to vote with their feet! It is truly very sad.

I'll be training outside my province (it is impossible to pursue my education here, as we don't have a medical school.) Many, many physicians do not train in the province in which they eventually practice, and to suggest one has a moral obligation to remain in the province in which they trained seems unnecessarily harsh.

Yes, fortunately, we do not live in North Korea where there is no choice for anything. :) I have no intention of sacrificing my life and the lives of my future children for a society that has no respect for minorities, for basic rights & freedoms or for the individual. This is really a no brainer. Only less enlightened societies choose to discriminate and I will not tolerate institutionalized discrimination by the government, nor will I support or be part of such a society.

Yes, fortunately, we do not live in North Korea where there is no choice for anything. :) I have no intention of sacrificing my life and the lives of my future children for a society that has no respect for minorities, for basic rights & freedoms or for the individual.

What rights and freedoms is Quebec preventing you from?

nor will I support or be part of such a society.

But you sure are happy to take their support and then run eh?

What rights and freedoms is Quebec preventing you from?

Freedom of religion perhaps? I mean that is the entire point of the counter debate.

you have to be somewhat careful about the entire funding of education thing - I mean a lot of residents aren't doing their training in their home province - not always by choice I guess - and tend to settle after there. There are often no jobs in your particular specialty in a particular province immediately post graduating either (or they just don't hire you over others). I mean we don't say those people should just stick it out until they get something where they were originally trained.

Plus it isn't like they just fled Canada etc :) - you can always argue that their taxes in whatever province they end up in simply represents the transfer payments the government makes back to Quebec if it makes you feel better from a numbers and cents point of view.

Bottom line though, as in the past, these sorts of inclusionary politics in Quebec - regarding what could be argued as a not even a real problem prior to this debate - always has a predictable effect. People leave and often the ones that do are the ones most mobile - professionals, the educated, and the wealthy. That doesn't exactly strengthen Quebec.

and gosh don't we have better and more important issues to be dealing with right now than what someone wears on their head.

Archived