Premed 101 Forums

What's On Your Mind?

Robin Hood

So it was made into an either or thing' date=' we have the option to rewrite, or shifted to final. It was not really an option to give zeros it was chaos handing the midterm in so the prof didn't know who exactly cheated.[/quote']

Ya that's a good point, i don't know if I would have given the option of a rewrite. a 100% final seems like the fairest option in my mind.

Good morning fd

• Replies 4.5k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Congrats Hockeynut! Glad to hear your backup plan is in place. :)

My backup plan is my only plan this year. Wrote my one and only midterm yesterday, with extra time due to the concussion. Definitely strange not being able to pull stuff out of my memory the way I normally do. Especially when I was searching for words, or writing down the wrong word and having to cross it out and find the right word in my brain. Fortunately, about half the exam was calculations, which my brain still seems to be able to do just fine (ie. calculating enteral and parenteral nutrition prescriptions, and the amount of various nutrients in those prescriptions, their volumes, etc.) so I think I'll get the 75% I need to apply to dietetic internships. A far cry from my usual 90s+, but at this point I'll take it!

Need to start preparing letters of intent for the internships and the combined internship/masters programs. And I have a solid backup plan for my backup plan. ;) My thesis advisor has agreed to take me on as a Masters student if I don't get an internship this year. You have three years after graduating to secure an internship before you have to start upgrading/taking courses again, so lots of students do a Masters and then do an internship. So far, only one student in our department who has gone the Masters route hasn't secured an internship after, so it's pretty successful at prepping students. Of course, that means delaying entry into the working world another two years, but you do what you have to!

Congrats Hockeynut! Glad to hear your backup plan is in place. :)

My backup plan is my only plan this year. Wrote my one and only midterm yesterday, with extra time due to the concussion. Definitely strange not being able to pull stuff out of my memory the way I normally do. Especially when I was searching for words, or writing down the wrong word and having to cross it out and find the right word in my brain. Fortunately, about half the exam was calculations, which my brain still seems to be able to do just fine (ie. calculating enteral and parenteral nutrition prescriptions, and the amount of various nutrients in those prescriptions, their volumes, etc.) so I think I'll get the 75% I need to apply to dietetic internships. A far cry from my usual 90s+, but at this point I'll take it!

Need to start preparing letters of intent for the internships and the combined internship/masters programs. And I have a solid backup plan for my backup plan. ;) My thesis advisor has agreed to take me on as a Masters student if I don't get an internship this year. You have three years after graduating to secure an internship before you have to start upgrading/taking courses again, so lots of students do a Masters and then do an internship. So far, only one student in our department who has gone the Masters route hasn't secured an internship after, so it's pretty successful at prepping students. Of course, that means delaying entry into the working world another two years, but you do what you have to!

I sincerely hope that you feel better soon!

A nasty concussion, along with destroying my right shoulder, ended my OHL career in my second pre-season game, so I know about the pain involved with the actual concussion and the pain associated with having to give up a dream. (took about a year to recover from my concussion and after surgery and a long time in a cast my right shoulder is still pretty messed up. I essentially has nothing holding my clavicle in place. Healing takes time, don't rush it)

Good luck with the internship!

I sincerely hope that you feel better soon!

A nasty concussion, along with destroying my right shoulder, ended my OHL career in my second pre-season game, so I know about the pain involved with the actual concussion and the pain associated with having to give up a dream. (took about a year to recover from my concussion and after surgery and a long time in a cast my right shoulder is still pretty messed up. I essentially has nothing holding my clavicle in place. Healing takes time, don't rush it)

Good luck with the internship!

Thanks! And Yikes on your experience. That must have been a real challenge to deal with. And now I see how you came by your username.

Fortunately, I'm pretty confident that I'll be very happy working as a dietitian. I just hope I don't end up with any cocky clerks telling me to initiate enteral bolus feedings into the jejunum! ;) (Something that happened to my clinical prof when she was doing her dietetic internship).

Thanks! And Yikes on your experience. That must have been a real challenge to deal with. And now I see how you came by your username.

Fortunately, I'm pretty confident that I'll be very happy working as a dietitian. I just hope I don't end up with any cocky clerks telling me to initiate enteral bolus feedings into the jejunum! ;) (Something that happened to my clinical prof when she was doing her dietetic internship).

Yes I lived and breathed hockey (still do, am a huge Leafs fan here in Montreal haha)

But yeah all that to say that you never know what life has in store (I was the first defense drafted in the bantam draft so I had the NHL in my mind yet here I am).

Regardless good luck, and I hope that you won;t have any d*cks to deal with during your internship.

I like how the forum is continuing. We have a constant stream of great new members (the trolls aside). I encourage those who rarely post to become more involved in the public forum and to share your views.

Lately, I have been privileged to read many narratives of new members who either never posted or only have a few posts. They can and should make their own contributions, thereby ensuring the continuance of this forum. Many regulars have slowly disappeared with the rigours of med school and PGY, so it is up to the new members to become more involved.

Just curious here but what do you consider useless/useful?

Ohh i don't think my major is any more useful/useless than it was.. A B.A is a B.A haha Only my parents and friends think it is. I can't blame them though, i don't know, i feel that people in quebec just don't get that you can major in whatever you want and still do something else for grad school/career.

Ohh i don't think my major is any more useful/useless than it was.. A B.A is a B.A haha Only my parents and friends think it is. I can't blame them though, i don't know, i feel that people in quebec just don't get that you can major in whatever you want and still do something else for grad school/career.

I don't think it's just Quebec.

There is also a lot less pressure on students in Quebec to pick programs which may offer something sustainable given there low tuition costs compared to those in other provinces.

One thing I will say is that a lot of grad programs do discriminate on the basis of your UG in that they like to see an affinity towards that program in either or degree being earned or significant electives.

In general though I agree and often say that University, save for a few programs, can lead to whatever path you want as long as you're smart and resourceful. Smart and resourceful people will find a way to take any program and turn it into opportunities!

I don't think it's just Quebec.

definitely not, of course but i did find a better open mindedness here than back home about arts degree. how maybe it's because i come from a reaaally small town where people don't even have degree.

aaronjw: and yes, of course, you can't get anywhere with any degree. but personally my #1 choice (well.. med school obviously) and my backup plan don't care so i'm lucky i can do whatever degree/major i want!

Archived