Premed 101 Forums

What's On Your Mind?

Robin Hood

• Replies 4.5k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

http://www.montrealgazette.com/news/Charter+Quebec+Values+Jewish+General+Hospital+vows+defy/9160745/story.html

Jewish General Hospital vows to defy Bill 60

MONTREAL — Calling Quebec’s proposed secularism charter “patently discriminatory,” the Jewish General Hospital vowed on Wednesday to defy any provisions that would prohibit its doctors and other employees from wearing the kippa and other religious symbols on the job.

This is the second time that the Jewish General has taken a public position against the charter since it was unveiled in September.

Bill 60 proposes a clause exempting hospitals and municipalities from the ban on “overt” religious symbols for a five-year “transition period.” Hospitals could then seek a four-year extension, provided that they have taken “measures ... to achieve the objectives” of the legislation.

Dr. Lawrence Rosenberg, the newly appointed executive director of the Jewish General, said the hospital will not even consider using the exemption clause in Bill 60.

“This bill is flawed and contrary to Quebec’s spirit of inclusiveness and tolerance,” Rosenberg said.

“Since the bill is inherently prejudicial, there is no point in taking advantage of any clause that would grant us temporary, short-term relief. If approved, this offensive legislation would make it extremely difficult for the JGH to function as an exemplary member of Quebec’s public health-care system.”

Rosenberg’s position was endorsed by the hospital’s board of directors.

The position is in stark contrast with the one taken last week by Normand Rinfret, executive director of the McGill University Health Centre. In a statement, Rinfret said the MUHC “appreciates the exemption procedure” in the bill and “intends to use it to its fullest.”

Jean-François Lisée, the Parti Québécois minister in charge of Montreal, has specifically cited the Jewish General in justifying the need for an exemption clause.

But the Jewish General, in its statement on Wednesday, pointed out that “for nearly 80 years, the JGH has prided itself on the fact that its staff — representing a wide diversity of faiths, with many employees wearing conspicuous items of clothing with religious symbols — has provided superior quality (of care) to Quebecers of all backgrounds.”

The hospital’s crest — visible throughout the hospital — is a menorah. Its previous emblem, still visible on thousands of uniforms and lab coats, features the Jewish Star of David. All of those uniforms would have to be replaced at additional cost to conform to Bill 60, which in contrast, would allow some schools to continue posting the crucifix.

Rosenberg said the Côte-des-Neiges hospital — which treats patients from 150 nationalities who speak 72 languages — intends to submit a brief to the National Assembly outlining its objections.

aderfel@montrealgazette.com Twitter: Aaron_Derfel © Copyright © The Montreal Gazette

http://www.montrealgazette.com/news/Jewish+General+underfunded+director+says/9157024/story.html

Jewish General Hospital is underfunded, new director says

MONTREAL — The newly-appointed director of the Jewish General Hospital is accusing the provincial government of underfunding the Côte-des-Neiges institution at a pivotal moment in its history.

“For the volume of activity that we do, we are underfunded,” Dr. Lawrence Rosenberg told The Gazette. “I don’t think anybody would quibble with that. I think the point of contention is: what is the appropriate volume (of procedures and operations) that we should be doing?

“It’s confusing to understand how on the one hand, we’re going to open a redeveloped institution,” he added, alluding to the $426-million K Pavilion under construction “that will accommodate more people.”

“And at the same time, having it suggested to us that we should really decrease the number (of patients) that we’re going to be seeing.”

Many staff at the Jewish General feel especially beleaguered since the Parti Québécois government took power in September 2012. PQ Health Minister Réjean Hébert suggested that the Jewish General was not managing its finances properly, prompting the hospital to carry out an independent audit that absolved Rosenberg’s predecessor, Hartley Stern, of any blame for a $58.5-million deficit.

This was followed up with a new “repatriation” policy — which was never made public — ordering doctors at the Jewish General to turn away cancer patients coming from Laval. The repatriation policy was implemented even though the Jewish General demonstrated that it treats cancer patients at a lower cost than most hospitals while achieving superior clinical results.

Then in September, a number of PQ ministers cited the Jewish General repeatedly in discussing the proposed Charter of Values which would ban workers from wearing the kippa, hijab or turban on the job.

Rosenberg, a longtime researcher and surgeon, was instrumental in putting in place a safety checklist in the Jewish General’s operating rooms to cut down on the rate of medical errors and complications. The checklist and other measures (of which the Jewish General was the first hospital in the province to pioneer) has had “an amazing impact on improving surgical outcomes,” Rosenberg noted.

Yet despite the superior results, the Agence de la santé et des services sociaux de Montréal insisted that the Jewish General proceed with “repatriating” off-island and West Island patients to their home health-care institutions.

Rosenberg suggested that the provincial government might have a different interpretation of the Canada Health Act than the Jewish General.

“We’re going to have to find a mechanism to comply with the desires of the ministry and the agence and to provide the best care to our patients,” Rosenberg said. “Having said that, the Canada Health Act does afford the right of all citizens to select where they receive their health care, and we are certainly going to respect the law in that regard.”

Ariane Lareau, Hébert’s press attaché, was not available for comment.

aderfel@montrealgazette.com Twitter: Aaron_Derfel © Copyright © The Montreal Gazette

http://thelapine.ca/quebec-opens-french-only-blood-donor-banks/

Quebec Opens French-Only Blood Donor Banks

MONTREAL — Premier Pauline Marois (Premiere ministre du Quebec) announced today that the Quebec Government (Gouvernement du Quebec) has opened seven blood donor banks (des cliniques de sang) across the province that will be accepting blood only from people who pass a French language test.

“In a time of need, Quebecers should have the choice to not accept blood from persons of another language,” said Marois to media at a newly-opened Quebec Values Blood Clinic, the smell of paint still fresh in the rue de Sainte-Catherine (Saint Catherine Street) facility.

“English, Korean, Muslim blood. It is not the same as Quebecois blood,” said Marois.

Bernard Drainville, Minister responsible for Democratic Institutions and Active Citizenship, told the CBC (SRC) that the move to francophone blood collection is another step “to stand firm and protect the culture, heritage and spunk (esprit) of la belle province (the beautiful province).”

“We did try to work with Societe canadienne du sang (Canadian Blood Services) but they were mostly English people and one had a foreign accent,” said Drainville.

Societe spokesperson Bernard Smith (no relation to Drainville) said the blood service does screen all donations for a variety of transmissible diseases but there is no test for “French or any other language.”

“A platelet (plaquette) is a platelet (plaquette). It doesn’t care what language its human body speaks,” said Smith. “Frankly, this is a very idiotic (stupide), discriminatory (paranoiaque) idea (idee).”

The opening of French-only blood donation clinics comes on the heels of the introduction of the controversial Quebec Charter of Values which proposes, among other things, to limit the wearing of conspicuous religious symbols by public sector employees, and to require those giving or receiving state services to have an uncovered face and no visible tattoos in English.

Premiere ministre du Quebec (Premier) Marois said the French language test will be both oral and written, and warned that it will be difficult .

“If you learned French from a Berlitz CD, you will not be allowed to donate. I’m sure you are a very nice person and your blood is just fine for you but…”

“We want to make sure this blood is pure Quebecois.”

Sue Dunum

Reportering for The Lapine

Good early morning. :P

Anybody considering to moving to Quebec based upon the above post? ;)

I don't know about you future_doc but this bill seems to me to be a ploy of Marois. She's smart enough to realize that this is wrong. It seems to me it's a " Oh look over there at the Dancing Monkey and not over here at our crumbling infrastructure and massive economic debt/problems".

I personally think they are using it to distract people from the true problems this province is facing.

They discriminate against minorities, they don't want anglos moving there, that is why many years ago there was an exodus of head offices to Toronto.

And blood donation clinics for only pure French? Wow!! :eek: Will they accept transplants of organs if it will save lives but refuse to give transplants to those of other backgrounds?

It is quite sick and influences the decisions of persons who are about to embark upon a career and start a family. The difference to a banana republic is that Quebec does not grow bananas. Anybody who moves to Quebec in this atmosphere is crazy. Many people will be voting with their feet!

And that's perfectly fine. That seems ot be the mentality that Quebec has always had, "You don't like it? then get the F*ck Out!".

Being an Ontario resident I was partially hesitant to go to University here in Quebec, as the only other times I had been in Quebec I was in smaller towns playing hockey and they were rather.....unwelcoming to us as Ontarians. I know that McGill and Montreal *the downtown especially) is an English haven but it truly isn't that bad. Truth be told I can speak french and consider myself fluently bilingual (I do have, or so I'm told, a Northern Ontario accent haha).

You don't think that these laws are to take peoples attention away from the TRUE problems this province has? (And there are LOTS of them)

Archived