Premed 101 Forums

What's On Your Mind?

Robin Hood

• Replies 4.5k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Just finished my organic final. It was surprisingly easy and I'm fairly sure I got the bonus points too.

Two finals down, three left. So far, so good!

Also, I'm done with organic chemistry as a course forever. Woo! Thankfully I don't need the full year.

Just finished my organic final. It was surprisingly easy and I'm fairly sure I got the bonus points too.

Also, I'm done with organic chemistry as a course forever. Woo! Thankfully I don't need the full year.

Awesome work, Birdy!

Best of luck in all of your finals :)

Remember that some schools require TWO semesters.... However, if you are not planning to apply to them I guess it doesn't matter...

hey good news, good luck!

Remember that some schools require TWO semesters.... However, if you are not planning to apply to them I guess it doesn't matter...

If I take biochem, which is a requirement of my degree, I don't need the second semester for any school I'm applying to.

So, time for a happy dance.

ha - what you don't find that fun?

I certainly didn't. The machine language programming course I had to take as part of my engineering degree was my lowest mark - 71. The entire class failed the midterm in that course. The prof was pretty much the only really bad prof I've had over the course of all my studies.

Well, my semester is over. I have to say that my profs and Student Disability Services have been incredibly helpful as I've had to deal with the limitations imposed by my concussion recovery. Still recovering from the concussion, but slowly making progress. We are hoping to see more progress over the next three weeks now that school is over for a while.

I do have to finish up my internship and grad school applications over the next few weeks (the first application is due Jan. 2nd), but I've my CVs, resumes and letters of intent complete, they just need editing and polishing. I'm really hoping to get into one of the combined Masters/internship programs, as my goal is a career in public health/community nutrition.

Two courses next semester (although one is double-weighted), and then I'm done! One of the courses has a prof who is rather infamous for not giving out any 90s. In his mind, "superior" work (ie. above and beyond expectations) is only deserving of marks in the 80s, and it really takes a LOT to get anything in that range. Unfortunately I need this course to be eligible for dietetic internships. So I'm not looking forward to that course, but at least the grade from it won't be seen by the dietetic internship and masters programs until after they've made their decisions (and as long as I pass the course they won't revoke any offers). So hopefully I will get an internship this year, and not have to reapply. Not to mention, we only get three years to apply for internships before we have to start upgrading some of our nutrition courses. This "infamous prof" course is unfortunately one of the ones you have to upgrade. Ugh. What's worse: the course isn't directly related to nutrition and dietetics, but covers more of the business side of things. SO annoying.

Anyhow, I hope everyone who is still writing exams does well. Good luck! And for those who are finished, enjoy your break! For everyone: have a happy holiday season, whatever you celebrate.

Well, my semester is over. I have to say that my profs and Student Disability Services have been incredibly helpful as I've had to deal with the limitations imposed by my concussion recovery. Still recovering from the concussion, but slowly making progress. We are hoping to see more progress over the next three weeks now that school is over for a while.

I do have to finish up my internship and grad school applications over the next few weeks (the first application is due Jan. 2nd), but I've my CVs, resumes and letters of intent complete, they just need editing and polishing. I'm really hoping to get into one of the combined Masters/internship programs, as my goal is a career in public health/community nutrition.

Two courses next semester (although one is double-weighted), and then I'm done! One of the courses has a prof who is rather infamous for not giving out any 90s. In his mind, "superior" work (ie. above and beyond expectations) is only deserving of marks in the 80s, and it really takes a LOT to get anything in that range. Unfortunately I need this course to be eligible for dietetic internships. So I'm not looking forward to that course, but at least the grade from it won't be seen by the dietetic internship and masters programs until after they've made their decisions (and as long as I pass the course they won't revoke any offers). So hopefully I will get an internship this year, and not have to reapply. Not to mention, we only get three years to apply for internships before we have to start upgrading some of our nutrition courses. This "infamous prof" course is unfortunately one of the ones you have to upgrade. Ugh. What's worse: the course isn't directly related to nutrition and dietetics, but covers more of the business side of things. SO annoying.

Anyhow, I hope everyone who is still writing exams does well. Good luck! And for those who are finished, enjoy your break! For everyone: have a happy holiday season, whatever you celebrate.

hmmm sounds messy - is this some sort of gate way course to things? Is that why it is pumped up in difficulty?

hmmm sounds messy - is this some sort of gate way course to things? Is that why it is pumped up in difficulty?

No, it's just that among the competencies required for entry-level dietitians there are a bunch related to business and foodservice management (I guess because a lot of dietitians end up in that area).

Here's the requirement for programs to be accredited by the Dietitians of Canada:

"Food Service Systems Management (9 Credits: Foodservice systems organizations and Management, Quantity Food Production Management, Foodservice Facilities, Cost Control & Accounting and Personnel)"

And it just so happens that the one prof here who teaches one of those courses had very high standards and just doesn't believe in handing out 90%+ since he doesn't feel any undergraduate student that meet that level of performance, unless they are truly exceptional.

A friend of mine back in Ottawa (I lived there for ten years) was at the hospital* with a foot injury that necessitated an xray the other day and it made me think about rmorelan and about how small the medical training world is in Canada and how little anonymity we have when we post here.

It's weird to think how many people from PM101 I will probably encounter over my training - this site will probably be my first contact with many of my future classmates, actually. My post office manager's daughter comes on here occasionally as she is applying this year (2 interviews already! I'm rooting for her.) From tiny little PEI, there are at least 3 or 4 people I've met who read this site. I even saw someone at my school reading my blog!

Feels like such a small world sometimes. I know for a fact that there are people on here who have met members of my family as two work in hospitals affiliated with a big med school in a large city. It's a bit weird to realize how non-anonymous this site really is, and really drives home how careful we must be in how we communicate with each other and present ourselves online.

*assumed it was Riverside because of where my friend lives, but they don't have an ER do they? Must have been somewhere else. I haven't been back there in way too long.

A friend of mine back in Ottawa (I lived there for ten years) was at Riverside with a foot injury that necessitated an xray the other day and it made me think about rmorelan and about how small the medical training world is in Canada and how little anonymity we have when we post here.

It's weird to think how many people from PM101 I will probably encounter over my training - this site will probably be my first contact with many of my future classmates, actually. My post office manager's daughter comes on here occasionally as she is applying this year (2 interviews already! I'm rooting for her.) From tiny little PEI, there are at least 3 or 4 people I've met who read this site. I even saw someone at my school reading my blog!

Feels like such a small world sometimes. I know for a fact that there are people on here who have met members of my family as two work in hospitals affiliated with a big med school in a large city. It's a bit weird to realize how non-anonymous this site really is, and really drives home how careful we must be in how we communicate with each other and present ourselves online.

it is a pretty small world :) There really aren't that many of us after all in any one particular field.

social media is a big concern of the CMA right now. They are rather worried of the impression new doctors project, considering the internet is kind of a permanent place!

it is a pretty small world :) There really aren't that many of us after all in any one particular field.

social media is a big concern of the CMA right now. They are rather worried of the impression new doctors project, considering the internet is kind of a permanent place!

Well, it makes sense.

If I google my doctor- who is in her 40s - I bring up a few pubs, a bio, and her ratemymd page. If I google myself using either my usual or legal name, nothing embarrassing comes up and I make sure it stays that way.

However, if I google some of my classmates, I bring up photos of them drugged/drunk/miming sex acts, postings on groups that are not terribly professional, etc. How many of my future classmates will have such content come up next to their publications when their patients google them?

While our behaviour as teenagers *shouldn't* be held against us as professionals later in life, that doesn't mean people won't really look down on Dr So-and-so if a picture of them as drunk 17yo with crude sharpie drawings all over their face shows up beside their RateMyMD page. Or how would a patient feel if their physician had, prior to med school, posted racist rants on news story comment sections?

I get why the CMA would be concerned.

Indeed. OMSW this year was all about "Health is Social" and emphasized the importance and value of social media in healthcare. Along with that were hints about keeping your profile professional at all times.

Archived