Premed 101 Forums

What's On Your Mind?

Robin Hood

Actually, even psych is quiet.

Wasn't for me :) They weren't all the sort requiring admits for sure, but clearly their emerg case was based in part on their mental state. Just more of the filtering stuff emerg does prior to psych being called.

The one thing I was most surprised about in my emerg shifts so far is how little we actually call other services. On the other side it always seemed like we were called all the time.

• Replies 4.5k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Happy new year everyone!

My semester starts on Monday and I'm so excited. I've really missed school for the last four weeks.

I need to decide by next month if I'm going to double major. If I don't challenge a certain prerequisite this year, it'd mean I would need an extra two years to complete the physics degree because of how courses are staggered (which I can't really afford to do.)

If I only had more time in the day... While I love my job, if I didn't have to work right now I'd be taking 6-7 courses per semester.

Happy new year everyone!

My semester starts on Monday and I'm so excited. I've really missed school for the last four weeks.

I need to decide by next month if I'm going to double major. If I don't challenge a certain prerequisite this year, it'd mean I would need an extra two years to complete the physics degree because of how courses are staggered (which I can't really afford to do.)

If I only had more time in the day... While I love my job, if I didn't have to work right now I'd be taking 6-7 courses per semester.

Wow physics degree and you're a mom...that's amazing:eek:

Wow physics degree and you're a mom...that's amazing:eek:

Moms can be nerds too. :-P

I'm a bio student but I'd still really like to keep medical physics as an option and I've been going back and forth over what program to pursue since before I started university. Since I only need five more courses after this year to complete the requirements for my biology degree, I could double major in four years if I can just get that prereq done this year. If my school had biomedical physics as a major I'd do that instead. Double majoring in bio and physics is the closest option.

Happy new year everyone!

Good luck Birdy!

My nutrition degree ended up taking 3 years instead of 2, due to the way prerequisite courses worked out, and I couldn't challenge for credit or receive credit for my prior work experience. Hopefully you'll be able to work something out!

Moms can be nerds too. :-P

I'm a bio student but I'd still really like to keep medical physics as an option and I've been going back and forth over what program to pursue since before I started university. Since I only need five more courses after this year to complete the requirements for my biology degree, I could double major in four years if I can just get that prereq done this year. If my school had biomedical physics as a major I'd do that instead. Double majoring in bio and physics is the closest option.

It would be cool - would you delay you application to medicine as a result?

related to this there are a bunch of options in medicine about continuing studies in various areas as well. There is a chance I may be starting a phd in the relatively near future :)

has anyone ever taken a health economics class ?

i'm looking for an elective and it looks interesting/i loved microecon last year but it's not the best for my schedule so i want to know if it's worth it.

I have an econ degree and covered health econ - it is interesting stuff and you can do well if can handle the math etc.

It would be cool - would you delay you application to medicine as a result?

related to this there are a bunch of options in medicine about continuing studies in various areas as well. There is a chance I may be starting a phd in the relatively near future :)

No, since it should be possible to do it in four. Given my obligations, extending my scholastic career beyond what is necessary is not wise. Even if I get in next cycle and start med school next year, it's still four more years from there before I bring in any decent income. The longer I'm in school, th more pressure there is on my husband to fully support us. Ill be applying to med starting this year until I get in or decide to give it up, but I will work towards my backup plan while applying so I don't lose time.

Good luck pursuing the PhD! I'd assume it would be related to radiology, but must it be?

No, since it should be possible to do it in four. Given my obligations, extending my scholastic career beyond what is necessary is not wise. Even if I get in next cycle and start med school next year, it's still four more years from there before I bring in any decent income. The longer I'm in school, th more pressure there is on my husband to fully support us. Ill be applying to med starting this year until I get in or decide to give it up, but I will work towards my backup plan while applying so I don't lose time.

Good luck pursuing the PhD! I'd assume it would be related to radiology, but must it be?

makes sense and that is what I thought!

Actually there is no real obligation to do it in a related to radiology area although of course there is a good chance it will be. I am also starting a masters of education shortly and in theory could extend that to be a phd for instance. I am trying to see if I will do a phd in basically neuro imaging, and a masters in education (health professional stream). Still looking into things :)

Happy new year everyone!

I'm taking 7 myself. 6 last semester turned out pretty well (better than my regular course load semesters) as it really forced me to stay on top of things. Scaled back my consulting hours to 10/week (max) because football also started this month which will also take 15-24 hrs/week for the next 4 months. We'll see how this pans out haha

Busy busy!

Talk to you all in May lmao

Good luck Birdy! (not that you need it)

i have another question about classes.

if i take 12 credit on campus + 3 credits online.. it doesn't matter right ? that may sounds stupid but my school is a mess with online class and they make it sounds like such a big deal so just want to 100% sure.

ahh the joy of probably 5 different ways of counting what a credit is :)

A single 3 hour a week course - the standard - won't affect you anyway if it is a DE course vs an in class one. Even for Ottawa and they one school that mentions DE as a potential issue won't care.

ahh the joy of probably 5 different ways of counting what a credit is :)

A single 3 hour a week course - the standard - won't affect you anyway if it is a DE course vs an in class one. Even for Ottawa and they one school that mentions DE as a potential issue won't care.

great, thanks!

you took a lot of online classes right ? (i feel like you said so a few weeks ago but i can be wrong.) was it hard to stay "on track" ? i'm not a procrastinator normally but i'm a little scared i might turn into one and that an online course may not be a good idea.

great, thanks!

you took a lot of online classes right ? (i feel like you said so a few weeks ago but i can be wrong.) was it hard to stay "on track" ? i'm not a procrastinator normally but i'm a little scared i might turn into one and that an online course may not be a good idea.

it can be - if you are used to the cramming style of studying it can be worse. People think DE courses are easier - I think they required more discipline. No one will tell you need to study.

Focus - you have to create and enforce your own deadlines. Stick to them just like they were the professors :)

great, thanks!

I took one last year that was entirely at my own pace, and one of my courses this semester is primarily self-directed. I do tend towards procrastination, but with scheduling carefully, it was not an issue and I finished the course in six weeks. Just be careful not to put it on the back burner when other things come up because sometimes it feels like online classes aren't 'real' classes.

anyone else having some serious anxiety about med acceptance? i've applied to MUN this year and they are giving out acceptance results in feb... its bittersweet. many nightmares lately.... crazy that this can affect a person so much, hey? how are you guys coping with the anxiety??

anyone else having some serious anxiety about med acceptance? i've applied to MUN this year and they are giving out acceptance results in feb... its bittersweet. many nightmares lately.... crazy that this can affect a person so much, hey? how are you guys coping with the anxiety??

I'm not applying until this summer but I'm already anxious about it! More the finances side of it because of how much travel and applications will cost, but still, it's a big worry.

Good luck!

I'm not applying until this summer but I'm already anxious about it! More the finances side of it because of how much travel and applications will cost, but still, it's a big worry.

Good luck!

It is good to plan ahead for those - it can be expensive for sure. It is easier for us in Ontario I think - we just get to take day trips etc. Fortunately almost every schools has some form of billeting, and usually you can get some good discounts on travel.

I took one last year that was entirely at my own pace, and one of my courses this semester is primarily self-directed. I do tend towards procrastination, but with scheduling carefully, it was not an issue and I finished the course in six weeks. Just be careful not to put it on the back burner when other things come up because sometimes it feels like online classes aren't 'real' classes.

I used to love getting the DE stuff earlier - we used to get it in mid Dec for instance. I would have all the assignments done for an entire course prior to the start of the year. That was a trick to make the term itself easy :)

Archived