Jump to content
Premed 101 Forums

Recommended Posts

Can anyone help me clarify whether or not Western will accept a second undergraduate degree if the degree is a 2 year Accelerated program. ( 2 years Public health degree from Ryerson ). I emailed admissions and here is what they said :

"This means that if you complete the second degree in 2 years, you must have 3 of 5 full or equivalent courses (18 of 30 credit hours) with a published academic level at third-year or above in each of those 2 years."

How would that policy affect a condensed 2 year degree? And what exactly does it mean for a course to be at a "third year level or above"?

Link to post
Share on other sites
  • 3 weeks later...
On 6/23/2020 at 10:39 AM, MrLongshot1035 said:

Can anyone help me clarify whether or not Western will accept a second undergraduate degree if the degree is a 2 year Accelerated program. ( 2 years Public health degree from Ryerson ). I emailed admissions and here is what they said :

"This means that if you complete the second degree in 2 years, you must have 3 of 5 full or equivalent courses (18 of 30 credit hours) with a published academic level at third-year or above in each of those 2 years."

How would that policy affect a condensed 2 year degree? And what exactly does it mean for a course to be at a "third year level or above"?

From my understanding, they are treating your second degree as another 3rd and 4th year. Meaning they'll have the same requirements as if they were your 3rd and 4th year in a normal undergraduate study. For Western, this would mean having to take 6 out of 10 courses in the fall and winter at the 3rd year level or higher. If at Ryerson, course levels are designated as 100, 200, 300 and 400 level courses. In each fall and winter academic year, you must have a minimum of 6 that are either 300 or 400 level with a minimum of 3.7 for each Fall/Winter academic year for it to count.

Link to post
Share on other sites
  • 5 months later...
On 6/23/2020 at 12:39 PM, MrLongshot1035 said:

Can anyone help me clarify whether or not Western will accept a second undergraduate degree if the degree is a 2 year Accelerated program. ( 2 years Public health degree from Ryerson ). I emailed admissions and here is what they said :

"This means that if you complete the second degree in 2 years, you must have 3 of 5 full or equivalent courses (18 of 30 credit hours) with a published academic level at third-year or above in each of those 2 years."

How would that policy affect a condensed 2 year degree? And what exactly does it mean for a course to be at a "third year level or above"?

Hey were you able to confirm if this is acceptable?  

On 7/8/2020 at 9:54 PM, NonTraditionalStudent said:

From my understanding, they are treating your second degree as another 3rd and 4th year. Meaning they'll have the same requirements as if they were your 3rd and 4th year in a normal undergraduate study. For Western, this would mean having to take 6 out of 10 courses in the fall and winter at the 3rd year level or higher. If at Ryerson, course levels are designated as 100, 200, 300 and 400 level courses. In each fall and winter academic year, you must have a minimum of 6 that are either 300 or 400 level with a minimum of 3.7 for each Fall/Winter academic year for it to count.

Thing is for Ryerson, the first number doesn't indicate the levels.  It's completely random.  In first year, someone can take 3XX, 6XX, etc. level courses.  So the only way to determine the level is to see which year the typical student take the course.  If we're looking at the regular program, then most of the courses in the first year of the 2-yr accelerated program is taken within the first 2 years of the regular program.  Therefore, it looks like it may not meet the requirements?

 

 

 

 

image.png

Link to post
Share on other sites
On 12/19/2020 at 12:25 PM, epyfathom said:

Thing is for Ryerson, the first number doesn't indicate the levels.  It's completely random.  In first year, someone can take 3XX, 6XX, etc. level courses.  So the only way to determine the level is to see which year the typical student take the course.  If we're looking at the regular program, then most of the courses in the first year of the 2-yr accelerated program is taken within the first 2 years of the regular program.  Therefore, it looks like it may not meet the requirements?

 

Ditto. Looks like our first year of the fast track program doesn't meet the 3/5 rule, UNLESS you add 3rd year levels courses on top of what you are already taking.

Link to post
Share on other sites

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

Loading...
×
×
  • Create New...