Premed 101 Forums

Ontario Accelerated Nursing Acceptances - 2013

My letter was postmarked March 26th (so 6 days after my e-mail acceptance). There's a $500 deposit required, and like I said, mine was due April 4th, which is 15 days after my e-mail acceptance. I e-mailed them and heard back this morning, though, and they said that they won't cancel my offer and to just get it in ASAP (it should arrive today).

If you don't hear by the end of this week, I'd e-mail them to look into it. They mailed mine March 26th and it came April 3rd at 5pm (from Toronto to London, so not very far). They were good about it though, I was just super upset last night. I wouldn't worry too much. :)

• Replies 89
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Hey prospective nurses! Congrats to all on your offers! I applied for the accelerated programs at Western, UofT, and Trent. Got my Western offer and it is hands down my first choice! I haven't heard from UofT or Trent yet.

For anyone else set on Western, I've started a facebook group for the class of 2015. Come join us! The name of the group is UWO Compressed Time Frame BScN Class of 2015. We've got a few people in the group from the class of 2014. Great place to ask/answer questions and get acquainted with future peers. Hope to see some more joiners :)

@ Pink Tulip,

I spoke to recent MAC accelerated nursing graduate on the phone who is currently working full-time as an RN in Ontario. She told me she did not want to completely deter me from the accelerated program at Mac, but she also wanted to give me an honest review of her experience. She told me the Problem Based Learning is a great concept, in theory. However, she told me that they take the PBL learning wayyyy overboard. She said a lot of learning is independent- you have to read and basically teach yourself the entire curriculum. She mentioned that there are 'tutors' available who sit in on each of your problem based tutorials weekly (small groups that students are assigned to at the beginning of program),however, they do not actually do any formal teaching- the tutors are there more to watch over the problem based tutorial session. She mentioned that she did enjoy the group meetings, however, the program would/could be a lot more solid if PBL was mixed in with regular, scheduled lectures. She found that when they would work through problems/the curriculum with her group- they would often split up the work- but if an individual did not do their section, or completed their section of the assignment poorly- that was left up to YOU to do and do their work too! This resulted in extra, unnecessary hours spent making up portions of the curriculum which were not covered properly in her PBL group. Although the student did attain a very high average while attending Mac- she stressed the fact that for the amount of work she had to do (which she said was tremendous)- she actually didn't learn that much content. She did not feel fully prepared when entering the nursing work force. She also mentioned that when entering the workforce, hiring hospitals and health care facilities are often VERY wary of students who come from Mac's PBL program- as the teaching style does not seem to sit well with many institutions and hiring hospitals and does not seem to cover as much important information as traditional nursing schools. She also mentioned to me that she could not truly tell me that she knew one person in her graduating class that actually liked the learning style and curriculum in the accelerated program at McMaster.

At other more traditional nursing schools like Western, there are regular lectures, tests and assignments AND group work. So you still get the connection and time spent learning and working with other nursing students, but also attend lectures to clarify information and topics- like a normal university program usually runs.

For this reason, I am now fully leaning towards Western as my number one school- and the bonus it is the fastest in Canada @ 19 months until completion!

Hopefully this helps!! :)

Did you hear from Western yet? I've been hearing only great things about the program! I hope you get in and choose Western. I've started a facebook group .. UWO Compressed Time Frame BScN Class of 2015.

GOOD LUCK!!!!

I've heard that about it, but considering I lose focus in regular lectures after 15 minutes it didn't really affect how I thought of the learning style.

Western sent me an e-mail last week saying they only got 1/3 courses from last term on my transcript...:confused: had to re-send it so still waiting:(

If you don't mind me asking what was your cGPA like?

My cGPA is high, but not crazy high. I haven't gotten an acceptance from Western (yet?), and some people have, so that should tell you my grades aren't at the top of the pack. However, I'm graduating with an Honours BSc in the spring (from McMaster) so I have more education than some others who may have only 2-3 years of post-secondary education.

I hope this helps. Good luck!

Hello all,

I want to congratulate everyone who has received acceptances! To those who are waiting, there is still time! I have recently been accepted to both Queen's and U of T and am wondering what people have heard about the two. I have heard about U of T's grading scheme being incredibly difficult, but there isn't too much on Queen's that I have read. Deciding between the two is proving to be a difficult process and any input (about anything program/school related to either) would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks!

Hello all,

I want to congratulate everyone who has received acceptances! To those who are waiting, there is still time! I have recently been accepted to both Queen's and U of T and am wondering what people have heard about the two. I have heard about U of T's grading scheme being incredibly difficult, but there isn't too much on Queen's that I have read. Deciding between the two is proving to be a difficult process and any input (about anything program/school related to either) would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks!

Hi GlobalHealthFuture... would you mind sharing your stats for UofT? GPA etc? thanks!:)

Hey! I have also received offers at U of T, Western, Queens and York but I have not decided entirely either! I have tentatively accepted at Western- and the only other school I would consider switching for is University of Toronto- I am in the same predicament as you in that I don't know much about Queen's or University of Toronto! I know Queen's program is extremely small, and I have heard the campus is stunning.

Congrats on your acceptances!!

hey everyone, congrats on all the acceptances! I've so far been accepted to Trent and Mac, and I'm wondering if anyone knows anything about Trent? I can't seem to find much online about it (other than what's on their website), and I don't know anyone that has gone there. Thanks in advance :)

Hello all,

Thanks!

I would go for Queen's.

hey everyone, congrats on all the acceptances! I've so far been accepted to Trent and Mac, and I'm wondering if anyone knows anything about Trent? I can't seem to find much online about it (other than what's on their website), and I don't know anyone that has gone there. Thanks in advance :)

Hey all!

I just got an offer to Mac yesterday. So far it's my only fast-track offer and I am super excited to confirm it once it appears on OUAC.

I went to Trent's open house back in March because I thought that would be the only school to accept me. The school is nice, very small. The program is 8 months longer than Mac's program. Mac is a more medical related school.. so I feel like there will be better opportunities to learn and get involved there than Trent. Just my thoughts though!

Hey All,

I received an offer to UofT yesterday and an offer to Queen's last week.

I am in my 4th year of a BSc and my GPA has an upward trend:

1st yr: 3.2

2nd yr: 3.33

3rd yr: 3.7

4th yr: currently sitting at 3.82 after 1st semester

I have lots of volunteer experience doing random things - physio volunteering, student council, medical response, along with part-time jobs.

Right now I am thinking of accepting UofT :)

I was accepted to Mac's accelerated nursing program. On my acceptance letter it says "Category of Admission: Hons. BSc Biology"

My transcripts that I sent back in January say that I'm graduating with a BSc.. but I'm actually graduating with a BA Biology in June... my school hasn't updated my online portal to change this on my transcripts though.

Do you think if I were to mention this to Mac that they'd revoke my offer?? Or since I've completed the pre-requisites and am graduating (with an Honours Degree) it shouldn't matter if it's BA or BSc.

I dont want to bring it up to them incase they review my application and say oh sorry and then take away my offer.. I think it'd be unfair if they rated a BSc degree over a BA. For my terms and conditions.. it states 'An official final university transcript stating degree granted'.

I'm not sure what to do -- I thought I'd ask in some forums first and see what you think!

Archived