Premed 101 Forums

Maritime student qualification questions

Has anyone seen or have an an exact copy of this portion of the application? I understand it is clear on the website but would like to know what information they actually ask for to prove this. I have been out of university for a few years and need to know how I am assessed.

It's the same qualifications for receiving a NS student loan: http://studentloans.ednet.ns.ca/loaninfo_2011-12/loan-amounts#t117n813 (see the part about province of residency). The med school also sent out a residency verification form this year, asking where and when you have lived since high school. I'm fairly certain the rule for NS residency for independent students (at least 4 years out of high school) is that you must have lived in NS for one year prior to application for admission. You cannot have been a student during this year. If have been a student for the past year, they look at the last year that you were not a student. I think they let some people through this year who had been living in NS for one year prior to the Sept. 2013 registration, but I'm pretty sure that was a one time thing for the transition year.

Thanks for the info. My situation is complicated and even though I grew up, went to university and lived in NS all my life until now I think I am not a maritimer. I moved to another province to finish studies and have been doing a fellowship for over 12 months. Kinda sucks. If anyone has this form please post it to send it along to me.

The new guidelines are ridiculous in my opinion. You could live in NS for 20 years, and all of your family could reside there, but if you move away for more than a single year (ie for a job) and then you try to apply as a NS resident, you will be denied.

I moved away in Sept. 2011, and started applying in July 2012, so I met the cut-off for an in-province applicant. But I'm not sure if I should be applying to NS Student Loans or Ontario, since when school starts, I would have been away for 2 years.

End rant.

:)

The form was basically a table with headings like: Location, Start Date, End Date, Reason (some example reasons like school, permanent residence, work, travelling and volunteering were given). The instructions were to fill in all the places you'd lived since high school (I took this to mean since grade 10). I have no idea what they did with the forms or how they verified them. Is your fellowship university-based? You could probably pass it off as time being a full-time student... maybe like a post-doc?

I would probably call Dal. It seems to me that there are a lot of situations that don't fit the norm and they have to make decisions on a case by case basis.

It's the same qualifications for receiving a NS student loan: http://studentloans.ednet.ns.ca/loaninfo_2011-12/loan-amounts#t117n813 (see the part about province of residency). The med school also sent out a residency verification form this year, asking where and when you have lived since high school. I'm fairly certain the rule for NS residency for independent students (at least 4 years out of high school) is that you must have lived in NS for one year prior to application for admission. You cannot have been a student during this year. If have been a student for the past year, they look at the last year that you were not a student. I think they let some people through this year who had been living in NS for one year prior to the Sept. 2013 registration, but I'm pretty sure that was a one time thing for the transition year.

On this website for drivers licence;

"New residents: You need to get a Nova Scotia driver's licence within 90 days of becoming a resident. You are considered to be a resident if: (a) you are attending school or college here; or (B) you live here and your children attend school here; or © you are employed here for more than 30 days in any given year; or (d) you live here for more than 90 days in any given year."

• 1 month later...

Archived