Premed 101 Forums

sitting surgical specialty?

Guest Fresh_Underwear

Look into gastroenterology. I've observed a few procedures and spoke with a number of staff physicians (some of whom gave up surgical ambition for the reasons you've listed). They are on their feet a lot, but the bright side is they do plenty of short procedures. Some of the ones I saw were as short as 15 min, Longest one I recall was a stone removal via ERCP, wasn't longer than 2 hrs.

When is the OP going to be sitting down during three years of internal medicine?

Radiology might be a possibility, though some of the procedures on the interventional side can be quite time-consuming (and certainly not done sitting).

Just as a matter of interest, have you been in touch with disability office/student affairs at your school in terms of reasonable accommodations? Having some idea as to what accommodations are available to you and getting counselling on this issue from someone experienced in this area could be a big help. People with disabilities still have to have the same competency, but sometimes there can be some level of flexibility in HOW you do things.

This is being said without my having any real idea of the physical demands of the various specialties as I am only an MS2 and have never really been interested in surgery or procedure-heavy specialties.

General radiology - sure, reading studies can be done sitting. Don't know if biopsies/PICCs/paras are what the OP has in mind for procedural satisfaction - they are done standing but are fairly short in duration.

On the other hand, interventional radiology would fit the bill wrt a surgical/procedural specialty... but not at all in terms of physical limitations, as not only can cases run for hours, they are done standing *while wearing heavy lead*

• 1 year later...

Archived