Premed 101 Forums

Class 2016 First Year schedule?

Hi,

A couple of weeks ago I saw that the detailed first year schedule for the Class of 2016 was posted on the website (long document that showed e.g. orientation dates, course start dates, examination dates etc).

I can't seem to find it anymore. Does anyone have the link?

thx

Anyone know if the IST blocks in the first full week of classes is filled with things to do (like getting student cards set up, etc) or is there actually down time on those days... e.g. the calm before the storm?

First week is mostly orientation stuff - lots of fun and really well organized - you'll get everything set-up from lab coats to lockers.

'IST' - ha, not really such a thing. Most IST, particularly in the beginning is filled up with lots of other stuff, including clinical core (i.e., you'll be in the hospital in your groups of 5 pretty much within the first 2-3 weeks of school). As you'll figure out soon enough, you have your main courses to deal with (1-7) but then tones of other 'unit' courses or secondary courses (i.e., population health, physical exam, communications, physicianship, procedural skills, ethics, global health, etc, etc...). There also isn't much of a gradual process into the curriculum - you'll pick up steam pretty much by the second week of classes and it really won't let up until graduation. Don't expect any basic biology either (i.e., this is an 'antibody' or this is the 'Krebs cycle')...the hematologists and gastroenterologists come in full swing for course 1 :)

The program is amazing though and you will be blown away as to how fast it goes - you essentially 'giver' for 2 years, 9 months straight and then graduate as an MD... it's awesome :) Very practical too - like any program, you'll get lots of basic science, but the real curriculum goal is to make you into an excellent clinician (reflected well in the exams too). Hence, you really start learning 'medicine' on day 1 of the program.

PM me if you have any questions. Best thing to do is relax all summer and don't open a book before day 1. First exam is like 6 weeks after you start, so believe me, you don't want to burn out before you even begin :)

Oh also, don't make the mistake of buying textbooks like so many of us did on day 1 - there are only a couple of textbooks you'll need for the entire program (which upper year students will tell you about), the rest are a waste of money...congrats on getting in!

Thanks so much for answering our questions. How much free time is there in the program for research and the like?

:)

There are lots of opportunities for research in the faculty if that is your thing (including through the Leaders in Medicine program if you want to pursue an MD + whatever other degree you are interested in, i.e., PhD, MSc, MBA, etc...). As for other research opportunities, I think it is a lot like shadowing - you basically set up your own thing within the faculty and can start doing whatever on day 1. Just be wary that the program is intense, and I think the general consensus out there is that those who struggle academically are often the one's who have taken on too many additional EC's (i.e., shadowing, research, committees, student run clinic, etc...etc...). Just keep balanced the best you can and don't stretch yourself too thin - it is VERY easy, especially in the beginning of the program, to commit too much/too fast.

As for dedicated curriculum hours for research - in second year there is a course called Applied Evidence Based Medicine. You can either do 80 hours in this course as clinical electives or 80 hours dedicated to independent research. The problem with the research option is that as anyone who has done a graduate degree can attest too, 80 hours is not a lot of time (so you may have to do more than this required minimum to get through the course).

Otherwise, fit in research when and where you can at your own pace...

Also, for the vaccinations, should I order my vaccination records first, or can I just go to the clinic with my Alberta Health and get it figured out there? I can't access any of the vaccination forms on UCAN yet, but I really want to get this out of the way and enjoy my last summer of freedom.

I would probably get your records first. I started a hospital job just last fall and had to go in to be assessed for vaccinations. Turns out Alberta Health had zero record of any of my childhood/school vaccinations. I was pretty much told that I would have to either find the old records or redo those vaccinations. I am in my mid-30's though, so that could be a factor too in how far back the records go. Right now my poor mother is pouring through her files and my baby books to find my old vaccination cards. :o

Thank you! Any housing advice? How early do we have to start looking? Is it possible to find a place the month before?

I would suggest you start looking as early as two months before, especially if you want something near the hospital. :) The best places can get snapped up within a day of them being listed for rent!

Calgary rental market is the worst I've seen it in the 3 years I've been living here. I would recommend starting to search for a place yesterday.

Yeah I think I remember reading that the rental vacancy rate is only like 1% or something like that in Calgary right now. July 1 is typically a hot date for new rentals, but if you see a place you like now then take it because you may not find anything better or equivalent later on.

The number of hours you bring home with you will depend on your study style. Some of us were "steady-studiers", doing about an hour or two every weeknight, more on the weekends. And then some of us were your typical crammers, putting in their all-nighters the week before the exam. All depends on what works for you.

But prepare for small groups, otherwise it makes for a pretty painfully quiet 2-hour session.

MD 2013

Shadowing/observerships are, again, pretty much up to you as to whether you do them or not. If your sights are set on something fairly competitive, like emergency medicine, peds, ENT, etc., then shadowing is a great way to network and pick up a few tips when you're really aiming to impress during clerkship.

Furthermore, because the program is so condensed, there is some time pressure in deciding what you want to do in medicine. Narrowing down your choice earlier will help you tailor your CV to rock your CaRMS match in 3rd year.

Myself, I decided fairly on that I was headed either the internal or family med route, and that I'd rather spend my free time outside of the hospital. I shadowed a total of 3 times during my first year. On the other side of the scale, some colleagues seemed to be doing it every weekend!

Try it. If you like it, do more of it. But don't stress about it.

You'll get 6 weeks of pre-clerkship electives next summer.

Clerkship begins at the end of February in your second year, beginning with a guaranteed 6 weeks of electives. You'll then rotate through the core areas of medicine (surgery, internal, etc.), with an additional 4 weeks of electives somewhere in there (this may be post-CaRMS match).

There is a good amount of clinical time in the first year and a half of med school, with clinical core (time spent in the hospital/clinic specifically focusing on the area of medicine you're studying in lectures) and family medicine experience.

Does anyone know when UofC generally mails out the office letters of admission/enrollment?

Just wondering since they are needed for LOCs, getting discounts on the criminal record checks etc.

Thanks CJ!

I am also wondering if ID cards r made on the first day of the orientation week? I read it somewhere on pm101 but just want to double check.

Also I m planning on buying a macbook, should i also consider an ipad? I m not sure if its a good investment at this point, but i know that uofc apps are only compatible with apple. How often do we use those apps? And would an ipad be really useful?

Thanks for your help! :)

Does anyone know when UofC generally mails out the office letters of admission/enrollment?

Just wondering since they are needed for LOCs, getting discounts on the criminal record checks etc.

I am not sure but i doubt if uofc mail out official letters like uofa, but may be you can print out the email offer and see if that works? Or may be ask uofc admissions to make you one?

Photos for U of C ID cards are taken on the first day, but it takes a few weeks to get them back. Hospital ID cards are separate - you'll get details on where to go to have them made.

As for letters, unless things have changed, U of C doesn't mail anything out. You can request a letter confirming your offer of enrolment from the admissions office. This is enough to get a LOC - just make sure you talk to the representative who specifically deals with medical LOCs (professional student LOCs etc.) at your bank of choice. You don't need a letter to get your police check, as far as I can recall.

P.s. LOCs don't necessarily need to be rushed - tuition isn't due until mid to late Sept, IIRC

You'll get 6 weeks of pre-clerkship electives next summer.

Clerkship begins at the end of February in your second year, beginning with a guaranteed 6 weeks of electives. You'll then rotate through the core areas of medicine (surgery, internal, etc.), with an additional 4 weeks of electives somewhere in there (this may be post-CaRMS match).

There is a good amount of clinical time in the first year and a half of med school, with clinical core (time spent in the hospital/clinic specifically focusing on the area of medicine you're studying in lectures) and family medicine experience.

That's reassuring to hear, especially since I'm worried about figuring out what specialty I want in such a compressed time. Since there won't be much time for research in such a compressed program, are students at a disadvantage for specialties like the ROADs and neurology which seems to place a large emphasis on research?

Archived