Premed 101 Forums

do any Canadian Med Schools look at average of 2 MCATs?

Guest drEvil

Guest drEvil

Hey everyone,

I am planning to take the aug. mcat. I am taking Kaplan and as of now, my scores are in the low 20s. I might be able to get only 1 interview with these low scores, but is it worth it? If Canadian schools look at the best or most recent score, then I think it is worth it because then I can take it again and mask the poorer score. But do any schools look at the average score? I realize that even schools that look at your most recent MCAT require you to send out all MCAT scores. Why is this? Thanks.

Evil

Guest scrubbed

I'm not aware of any schools that average or take the best section of an applicant's MCAT scores.

I don't know why schools require release of one's MCAT scores (Are they all released together?). I'm also not aware of schools that would discriminate against an applicant for a repeat attempt.

Since you've come this far, do the best you can on the exam, and use your experience to do better on the exam next time if needed.

Guest loud noises

hey drevil,

if it makes you feel any better, i wrote the mcat twice (i was not happy with a 29R the first time) and the second time all that happened was by scores redistributed:\ needless to say i was upset, but no one ever asked about this, and i still got into med even tho everyone i know did way better than me!

good luck!

Guest drEvil

I plan to take the January MCAT. This Aug. one would be a warm up. I'd be very very happy with a 29R in Aug! If such a miracle was to occur, I would probably scrap those plans for taking the January MCAT. Thanks for you replies! Does anyone know why med schools make u send all your scores even though they say they won't look at the average?

Evil

Guest cedar05

Hi drEvil,

Maybe they just want to see if you wrote several times or not. Don't worry about having to re-write. It doesn't look bad. If nothing else it shows perserverence. I too had to re-write (as many people do) and I am staring meds this year!

Good Luck.

Guest krismd

you might want to check with someone else, but i'm pretty sure that there are some canadian schools that will average out the score of your two mcats, or at least look at your other score. i think it was dal or mun that looked at the average, although i could be wrong. it has been a while since i was comparing schools for application...but everything should be clearly listed on all the school's admission sites and would be worth looking at before committing to writing.

Guest Paulchemguy

drEvil, i don't think you should think about retaking the MCAT again. you should try to do well in one shot. otherwise, so much time is wasted. just my 2 cents

Guest drEvil

Thanks for ur replies. I'm gonna study my hardest for the next couple of weeks. The only school that I know of in Canada that will look at all MCATs is Memorial. And Mac...they will likely look at all Verbals once they institute it next year. Y...because it's Mac and Mac never seems to give us a break>:

;)

Guest haquer

Hey,

I was contemplating rewriting before and made a list of the schools and what scores they take:

Western: Latest MCAT

U of T: Latest MCAT

Queen's: Latest MCAT

Alberta: Best MCAT

U of Sask: Best MCAT

U of Calgary: Best MCAT

Memorial: Average of all scores

Dalhousie: Best MCAT

McGill: Latest MCAT

UBC: Best MCAT

Hope that helps... Good luck on the exam :)

Guest drEvil

yeah...certainly helps alot of people. Thanks for the summary!! Anyone have a list for the Canadian friendly Med schools' policies regarding multiple MCATs. I've heard that medschools in the US are not as flexible.

drEvil

Guest citrinez

Does anyone have a similar list of the mcat score req's for the diff schools that is consolidated like that, or even one with gpa and everything, base on the most recent standards?

Guest jeffpr

I know the US med schools are not as friendly when it comes to writing the MCAT multiple times; just look over at SDN and people act like they would rather donate a kidney than have to write the MCAT more than once, mostly because they think it will hinder their application and slighty because who in the hell wants to write this test more than once if they don't have to...right. I think Canadian med schools are a little more tolerant, and as a rule of thumb you aren't getting into too much trouble unless you have written the MCAT more than 3 times, then they might wonder what your intentions are.

Guest Jochi1543

I think US schools usually average your scores. I guess the only surefire way is to contact every US school you're thinking about and ask them.

Archived