Premed 101 Forums

Where to get orgo help?

Guest Jochi1543

Guest Jochi1543

I'm prepping for the orgo section, and having lots of trouble with it (I have no orgo background). I'm also taking orgo distance ed now, and I don't get it - and a phone tutor is hardly useful when you are trying to discuss 3D structures. I tried to find a tutor through the local university, but it's been rather fruitless, since it's summertime. Any good websites or maybe books that break it down well?

Guest SevenAges

Well, I've been reading the Kaplan Organic Chem section and it's not amazingly helpful, especially for someone in your situation. Just thought I'd let you know. For 3d structures, they have kits, and some people find those really helpful. It's what we were recommended to get while taking the class. I think it'd be a good idea for you to get an Organic Chem text, if you don't already have one. I found mine to be pretty good.

Recently, while reviewing, I have been going to this website:

forums.studentdoctor.net/....php?f=134

They have an Organic Chemistry question thread and an Organic Chemistry answer thread with answers to all the questions others have asked. It's amazing! There are some good people on there who are willing to answer many of your questions. The internet, in general, also has some good 3D representations of the structures.

If you need any help, you can ask on here and I'm sure the people on the boards may be able to lend an answer or two. I highly recommend the above website though.

I hope that was at least semi-helpful?

I know how you feel, Jochi. Organic can definitely be challenging.

Guest Jochi1543

Yup, Kaplan here as well. So far it's just been endless nomenclature and reactions - I can't possibly memorize all that in a month.

Guest avenir001

Jochi, don't worry too much...one month is plenty of time.

Besides, orgo chem is not a huge component of the mcat, especially now that some topics such as alkenes are no longer supposed to be tested. I've also heard that as long as you know some basic reactions and principles, on the mcat the answers to most orgo questions can be found in the passage.

And there aren't that many rxn mechanisms if you think about it. For example, with aldehydes and ketones, remember nucleophilic addition to carbonyl...and the enolate ion that can act as a nucleophile. With carboxylic acids and their derivatives, remember nucleophilic substitution. Know the redox relationship between alcohols, aldehydes/ketones, and carb acids. Know basic nomenclature and sn1, sn2, E1, E2. I think the toughest part of orgo on the mcat may be figuring out stereochemistry of rxn products, for example.

I've also heard that if you do really well on the biology section, being a bit weak in orgo won't hurt your score too much. Personally, after going over orgo chem once, I've decided I should devote more of my time to biology.

Anyway, good luck and don't get discouraged!

Guest SevenAges

Stop working now! :P

I've recently discovered ExamKrackers Audio Osmosis. If you can get them, I think they'd be worthwhile. They have samples on their website of each section, so check them out and see what you think. They make the reactions seem a lot easier to remember. Going over Kaplan gives you a general understanding. It can also be really frustrating, as I've discovered.

I'll be getting an ExamKrackers Organic book soon. I'll let you know how it is.

Anytime avenir001. I'm glad to help

Guest SevenAges

P.S.

I noticed that they seem to have omitted "alkenes" from a lot of stuff, but I was a little wary as to what exactly it applied to. Does that mean we won't be expected to name alkenes, synthesize them, use an alkene to make other stuff... nothing? To me, at least, they just seem like such a regular part of O-Chem that I'm so apprehensive overlooking them. :P

Guest avenir001

If the topic of alkenes has been removed, I would assume this means we don't have to know any synthesis or other reactions for alkenes. However, I didn't feel comfortable totally ignoring alkenes either...and I reviewed them anyway. And the Examkrackers orgo chem manual which I have also suggests that reviewing the alkenes section will be helpful anyway. Btw, there are only 4 chapters in the Examkrackers manual...the first one is basically intro & structures, the last one is biochem and lab techniques, which leaves only two chapters to cover most of the rxns...needless to say, there aren't as many rxns to memorize in this manual vs Kaplan's manual.

Guest SevenAges

I'm so glad to hear you say that! Now I'm glad I'm buying the EK Organic book. Of course, what does this say for our score? Does the EK book only include ALL the stuff we need to know or do they include stuff we need to know to pass and that's it?

For the reactions I've never been taught before it can be difficult—I really dislike that they (Kaplan) only have one example for each reaction so it can be a little hard to see a pattern. Maybe it's just me though. Organic isn't my strong suit. Oh, and I also found some of those reactions we don't need to know. Kaplan's good for the other sections, but that's probably because I don't dislike the other sections. :P

I've heard Fetal Circulation isn't on the exam and it's not listed on the list, but I guess it could be part of the embryology section. Have you heard anything about that?

Sorry for all the questions! But thanks for a response in advance.

Guest avenir001

Well according to the EK orgo manual, "any and all organic chemistry required to answer any question on the MCAT will be covered in this book." In fact, they claim studying from other prep books might decrease your score because more answer choices may seem correct if you know more orgo than the basic amount required for the mcat.

Overall, comparing Kaplan and EK books, I've found that while EK explains some concepts better/more in depth, some topics are too condensed and as a result there may be gaps between ideas. In Kaplan's review, ideas are better connected and easier to follow and it helps you see the overall picture. For me, EK was more useful as a supplement to Kaplan...but for someone whose undergrad pre-req courses are fresh in their mind, EK may be enough.

And as for fetal circulation, I don't think it's on the mcat...and EK doesn't cover it either. Kaplan probably just included it for the sake of completeness or maybe there has been a passage about it in the past as it relates to embryology. While we don't have to know the details by heart, I can imagine getting a passage on the mcat explaining fetal circulation (similar to how Kaplan does it) and then asking us to draw comparisons between fetal and adult circulation...you know, things like: compared to adult circulation, the blood in fetal left atrium, pulm. artery, aorta, etc. is more/less oxygenated, etc. And I bet those who have some background knowledge would be able to answer such questions more quickly than those who have to rely on the passage to figure out what's going on.

Now you may memorize every detail of fetal circulation and answer those questions quickly but they'll always find other topics where you won't have background knowledge and you'll have to think on your feet...that is the goal of the mcat and that's what makes it tough...so ultimately the best way to maximize your score is to master the basic concepts, learn some background knowledge if you have time, but most importantly to train yourself to think critically, analyze/interpret given data, draw conclusions, etc under "limited-time" conditions.

Guest SevenAges

Yeah... it's a little scary how many books claim that all you need to know is in their books. The Princeton Review books have about as much material as Kaplan (if not more) and also say that all potential testing material is in there as well as some extra stuff to be on the safe side. I suppose it's not that big of a deal though. They all cover the major stuff and just differ in only a small number of things.

Guest PreyOnWords

I do not think any of you need worry about the organic chem section on the MCAT. Every year the number of organic chem questions drop and this year is no different. I sat last years exam and from what I had discussed with peers after the exam, the average number of questions attributed to organic chem was like 5 or maybe even....6. And they were tough as nails (3/5 of them anyway). Bottom line....physicial sciences and VR will kill you before Bio sciences does, dont sweat the small stuff.....

Good luck in August everyone

• 2 weeks later...
Guest SevenAges

I got the EK book and, Jochi, I think it might be helpful. They don't have as much stuff as the Kaplan books (so slightly less overwhelming), but have lots of practice (very helpful). Both books seems to cover the main stuff, but EK seems to focus more on finding trends with things instead of straight memorization, which could be very helpful for you. Some of the stuff they'll skim over, expecting you know it, but I found most of their explanations to be great. And, they show reaction mechanisms for just about everything, which (at least for me) helps much more than just seeing a reaction and a product.

Good luck!

Guest Jochi1543

If not, you're gonna be out $40:hat ....

I'm still frustrated at that digital camera I bought upon the recommendation of a friend and which turned out to be the worst piece of @#%$ ever.:P

Guest SevenAges

Heh. Well, technically, the EK Orgo Book is only ~20 bucks on Amazon and it arrives within 2 or 3 days. In any case, I'm sure you can resell it to another poor soul that's writing.

Ouch.

• 2 weeks later...

Honestly, I haven't studied organic at all...but I don't think its because the MCAT organic is easy. There are some pretty challenging things on there that I would never know if I hadn't had the most amazing organic chem teacher on this planet. However, I would suggest grabbing a book of mechanism and working through it. If you can understand everything in spectroscopy and cabonyl chemistry, you'll be fine...don't know how much this info helps considering the exam is in 2 days...all the best though.

Archived