Premed 101 Forums

Lines of Credit for Medical Students (Scotia is the best option)

What's the best combo for Scotia CC? I'm confused about what to take...either Gold AmEx/Scotia Gold, Scotia Gold/Momentum Infinite or Gold AmEx/Momentum Infinite. I travel a lot and potentially will be travelling more between school and home so travel rewards and cash back are important to me.

What's the best combo for Scotia CC? I'm confused about what to take...either Gold AmEx/Scotia Gold, Scotia Gold/Momentum Infinite or Gold AmEx/Momentum Infinite. I travel a lot and potentially will be travelling more between school and home so travel rewards and cash back are important to me.

A classmate of mine has worked out that the best combo would be Gold Amex + Momentum Infinite based on the average person's needs. However, it might be difficult to have Scotiabank offer you this combo, as they typically only offer the Gold Amex + Passport Gold

Just to follow up with the Scotia LOC un Calgary: they automatically apply for -0.25% without asking the student. No, the line is not locked at whatever initial rate (I was totally wrong :P) and the letter of acceptance received initially, the one that says that admission is dependent on fulfillment of certain other conditions (completing vaccines, CPR, police check, etc) is enough to start the process of approval for the LOC but not to actually fund it. A definitive letter of enrollment will grant a student access to the money. Is this most people's experience outside Calgary as well?

Just to follow up with the Scotia LOC un Calgary: they automatically apply for -0.25% without asking the student. No, the line is not locked at whatever initial rate (I was totally wrong :P) and the letter of acceptance received initially, the one that says that admission is dependent on fulfillment of certain other conditions (completing vaccines, CPR, police check, etc) is enough to start the process of approval for the LOC but not to actually fund it. A definitive letter of enrollment will grant a student access to the money. Is this most people's experience outside Calgary as well?

Yes that has been my exact experience in Toronto. I have been given conditional approval for 275K with prime minus 0.25 but they need a letter of enrolment from the registrars office. Now, I've been negotiating the perks on the side such as free cheques, premium credit cards with fees waived, etc.

When I got my loc four years ago they required a letter of enrollment which the university doesn't provide until August. I found a Scotiabank rep in Hamilton who was fine with releasing the funds with just the offer letter and drove over to set up my loc there. I transferred to a rep in Toronto last month just because I'm going to be here for residency and it's more convenient to have someone I can easily meet face to face with.

Has anyone had any luck getting the AMEX Gold/Momentum Visa combo with Scotia, and/or an interest rate that is prime -0.5%? Currently with TD, but I'm interested in what else is out there (their cards/offerings don't seem as competitive).

Not sure anybody has actually confirmed the prime-0.5% as available. The -0.25 is already a new thing recently so I am highly skeptical that all the big LOCs will suddenly start offering -0.5%, but one can hope!

No luck with the Momentum Visa. offered me one year free but wouldn't waive subsequent fees.

Sticking with the Rogers MC, AMEX/Scotia Gold Visa.

Is it the branch manager who you have to negotiate the cards with or the small business/healthcare managers?

Anybody know who to talk to at RBC in Toronto?

I called today just to ask if I could meet with a medical/dental advisor about my line of credit, and they asked why I wanted to, so I told them, and they basically laughed in my face and told me "nobody gets that."

However, I would like to stay with RBC so I will try to find the right people to talk to.

I called today just to ask if I could meet with a medical/dental advisor about my line of credit, and they asked why I wanted to, so I told them, and they basically laughed in my face and told me "nobody gets that."

However, I would like to stay with RBC so I will try to find the right people to talk to.

Can't speak to RBC in Toronto, but I know people in my class here in Hamilton with RBC have had a very tough time getting subprime (though they were able to eventually!). Seems that Scotiabank people had the easiest time comparatively getting most things with their LOC (e.g. some people had advisors who were proactive about the subprime rate)

Can't speak to RBC in Toronto, but I know people in my class here in Hamilton with RBC have had a very tough time getting subprime (though they were able to eventually!). Seems that Scotiabank people had the easiest time comparatively getting most things with their LOC (e.g. some people had advisors who were proactive about the subprime rate)

that was my experience - nice to have people proactively making my life easier :) 

I work with Veena at the university nad Dundas branch, she is great and got my prime - 0.25 approved ina  day over email: veena.janardhanan@rbc.com 

Hi everyone,

I just wanted to post a quick reminder to graduating classes that the time to consolidate your Government Student loans is coming soon, as a refresher our LOC is a 275,000 Limit with an extremely competitive interest rate.. if your LOC limit is not 275,000 please feel free to reach out to me!

Thanks

Josh Campbell

T 905-627-9211 4301

E Joshua.Campbell@scotiabank.com

Make sure you look into your province's policies though - I only consolidated my federal portion because in alberta the provincial stays interest free during residency.

Yup! Though for those in Ontario,  you can't separate your federal and provincial amounts, unfortunately. 

When getting a LOC, is it best to get it set up with an advisor in the city in which you'll be attending medical school or does it not matter much? I live in Ottawa and I like my Scotiabank branch here but will be attending medical school at Western.

When getting a LOC, is it best to get it set up with an advisor in the city in which you'll be attending medical school or does it not matter much? I live in Ottawa and I like my Scotiabank branch here but will be attending medical school at Western.

I will say first off I can say from personal experience your contact at Western is a pretty solid guy in case that was a concern. 

You can pick an adviser from another place though - usually I would say as a medical student it was more convenient to have someone close by. As a resident I still use my adviser from my medical school days and documents as needed go to whatever branch I want them to for me to look at/sign.

Find someone you can work with. Ideally this is a very long term relationship.