Premed 101 Forums

Lines of Credit for Medical Students (Scotia is the best option)

5 minutes ago, rmorelan said:

sure - I will forward it when I get home. I try to keep information on as many of the of the advisers as I can. Definitely have Ottawa.

FYI - the long sig is now quite poetic ha :)

if you got any adviser recs for Victoria BC that'd be much appreciated too!

6 minutes ago, casajayo said:

This seems to be an up to date list for advisors from the various regions: http://www.scotiabank.com/content/dam/scotiabank/canada/en/documents/Scotiabank_SPSP_representative_English.pdf 

Yeah that was the base I was working off of (think I sent that out originally to everyone here) - it is not updated unfortunately but mostly correct :) I have additions in my notes ha. For instance both of the Scotia people at Ottawa I believe have moved on. There can be a lot of turn over. Often the number stays the same at least!

I am not quite yet update to date for RBC but I am working on that one as well. I dream the dream of a sticky thread at some point with all of this. 

Edited by rmorelan

43 minutes ago, rmorelan said:

sure - I will forward it when I get home. I try to keep information on as many of the of the advisers as I can. Definitely have Ottawa.

FYI - the long sig is now quite poetic ha :)

I'll take a page out of your book and switch font sizes ;) 

Two hours ago, Scotiabank has just purchased MD Financial from CMA - you guys can google it. This is a huge game changer. Shortly after this occurred, I talked to Rod McFadden (see his posts on page 46 of this thread) on the phone about the implications of this and some of the potential improvements to the Scotiabank offer that is to come shortly. He's extremely knowledgeable, and I am going to do my LOC with him.

19 minutes ago, Organeer said:

Two hours ago, Scotiabank has just purchased MD Financial from CMA - you guys can google it. This is a huge game changer. Shortly after this occurred, I talked to Rod McFadden (see his posts on page 46 of this thread) on the phone about the implications of this and some of the potential improvements to the Scotiabank offer that is to come shortly. He's extremely knowledgeable, and I am going to do my LOC with him.

Can you share what some of those improvements may be?

@Jfourn Just realized that means RBC essentially offered 2 credit cards all along haha. Not sure if the minimum income can be overridden for some of those cards though

Kind of a silly question: when choosing an advisor based on location, is this the location of the school, or the student's home location?

I live quite far away from the school that I'm going to be attending, so I'd prefer to speak with bank representatives near my home, not my school (I won't be moving for several months).

5 minutes ago, Comprehensible said:

Kind of a silly question: when choosing an advisor based on location, is this the location of the school, or the student's home location?

I live quite far away from the school that I'm going to be attending, so I'd prefer to speak with bank representatives near my home, not my school (I won't be moving for several months).

It doesn't matter too much, contact whoever is convenient for you. My current advisor is in my home location but I can easily switch to an advisor at my school's location once I move. I don't have to switch either if I'm comfortable dealing with them at a distance.

35 minutes ago, Comprehensible said:

Makes no difference, you can choose either advisor. The most important factor in my opinion is picking someone you trust and are comfortable with. My advisor isn't in either my home city or the city of my medical school and I've had no issues the past 2 years. :)

42 minutes ago, Comprehensible said:

only caveat is you do what someone that regularly deals with LOCs if you want the best advise/options long term. There aren't that many of those overall I suppose - but for instance when the rates dropped from prime to prime - 0.25 some people not dealing with a regular LOC advisor didn't get that rate for a while or weren't aware the change occurred. 

4 hours ago, dandycandy said:

any recommendations for who to contact for mcmaster university? found matt eade & michael vanderwal on the list scotia provides, has anyone had any experience with either? :) tysm 

I haven't but I've got classmates so have and are having issues with matt (I think? It was an M name, but that doesn't help here). I switched to another Hamilton branch when my guy left (and the M guy recently took his place). My current adviser is great, quick, and no hassles with perks. Let me know if things don't work out with the other guys and I'll connect you with mine.

1 hour ago, Organeer said:

1 hour ago, Eudaimonia said:

Can you share what some of those improvements may be?

@Jfourn Just realized that means RBC essentially offered 2 credit cards all along haha. Not sure if the minimum income can be overridden for some of those cards though

That's exciting, I wonder what those will be and if existing members will get them!

When I met with RBC last week, I was told that the iPad offer would only be for new clients who sign on on or after June 4th. Was also told that I wouldn't be able to get the infinite avion if I didn't meet the minimum income requirement. Definitely a lot less attractive of an offer than Scotiabank.

56 minutes ago, PhD2MD said:

I haven't but I've got classmates so have and are having issues with matt (I think? It was an M name, but that doesn't help here). I switched to another Hamilton branch when my guy left (and the M guy recently took his place). My current adviser is great, quick, and no hassles with perks. Let me know if things don't work out with the other guys and I'll connect you with mine.

Unofficial, but from a reputable source. Increased credit limit. Official word to be out as early as a week or two. Word is current signers can raise it too but fine print is yet to be released

3 hours ago, Organeer said:

Unofficial, but from a reputable source. Increased credit limit. Official word to be out as early as a week or two. Word is current signers can raise it too but fine print is yet to be released

Ha...well my advisor just asked me to come in and sign for an increase on my LOC (without me requesting it). Wonder if that's why. Prob not since she was just taking me from 200k to 275k.