Premed 101 Forums

Possible to do 6 credit Athabasca course in 2 months?

urbandecay

Hello!

I was wondering if anyone has taken BIOL 235 from Athabasca university and completed it in 2 months? I really want to apply for the University of Calgary's accelerated nursing program by September 2013 but am missing that required course.

Just wondering if it would be possible to actually complete or if I should just take the year to do the course and apply for the accelerated program in 2014.

Any input would be greatly appreciated!

Carolyn

I think anyone would have a hard time finishing it in 2 months.

I did it in about 9 months. I guess it would depend on how much time you devote to it. I was working and busy with other things during the 9 months that I completed it. I also put WAY more effort into it than I needed to because the tests/exams were EASY.

That being said, I'm confused by what you said by you want to apply to Calgary by Sept 2013... for which start date?

I managed to do it in 2.5 weeks when I took it. But that's basically all I did (I was in Starbucks studying for 5-6 hours at a time) and I had a strong physiology background (needed the anatomy part of it).

If you're really committed you can definitely do it in 2 months. I'm not sure if the course is still organized the same way, but there were 4 exams. The first exam covered the first chunk of stuff hen then second exam covered the next set of material and the first set. The 3rd exam was just the third chunk of the material and the last exam (the "final") covered the 3rd and 4th sections of the course. What I did, is I took the first two exams on the same day (don't recommend that- there's a lot of bones and muscles to know) and then exam 3 and 4 about 4 days apart.

If you're planning on doing it in 2 months, make sure you go through the chapters beforehand and highlight terms you need to know. They only test on those terms that are in the study guide (if they still do it the way they did a few years ago) (this is mentioned in the student manual, so this isn't prohibited information btw). Don't read anything extra. There was an entire chapter almost that the exam didn't cover, so I didn't even glance at it. If there were paragraphs where there wasn't a highlighted word, I'd skip over it.

It really depends on what all you have going, how much of a physiology and anatomy background you have, and how dedicated you are to pushing though (and what grade you want).

I ended up with an A- and considering everything that was going on at the time and the fact I did it in 2.5 weeks, I figured that was pretty decent.

Good luck!

• 2 weeks later...

Archived